By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

Zippy6 said:

The only way to make this thing look like good value is to put it next to the $599 2TB Series X. Then you're paying only $100 for the extra power. Which it's probably worth. But look at it from any other angle and unless you've got a lot of expendable income, hell no.

$599 1TB PS5 Pro is the way they should have gone.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more pointless this feels. If the leap in power was at least more significant maybe just maybe we could justify it for playing some upcoming games with 60 FPS, but 700 USD without a disc drive feels so pointless. Are people with physical collections to be that screwed for no reason? 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

The price gap between PC and console is getting smaller. AMD focusing on price point, and not high end, will only tighten the gap. Add in cheaper games and free online... PC is going to grow. Perhaps that is why Sony and MS are both full PC now.

PC gaming isn't as expensive as people think it is.  It can be super expensive, but it doesn't have to be.  A 7800xt is a heck of a gpu for $450.  

I know we can, I just don't think playing on a monitor screen with a controller is as comfy as couch-play anyways. Maybe if I had a fixed cabinet connected to a TV I could replicate the feeling, but I also want a laptop to study, do research, etc

I'm not sure it's a brazillian thing, but PCs here are not sturdy. I feel like my PCs Always start having issues after a few years. Last one I bought 4 years ago is already useless. Consoles have a good life at least

I also have a PS5 so no effect on me as well. I think even for that price I'd still get a PS6, I like some of Sony's first parties and being able to play them early is a plus

But if they go all digital and offer no compensation, then I will probably skip their next console

Most computers have hdmi out.  I connected to my TV just like a console with a xbox controller.  It works just like a console, except I can custom game settings.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I get why it panned out this way but trying to demonstrate the Pro on a bunch of old games we've all completed, that are already extremely well optimised for PS5, felt extremely uneventful

Last edited by Otter - on 10 September 2024

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I know we can, I just don't think playing on a monitor screen with a controller is as comfy as couch-play anyways. Maybe if I had a fixed cabinet connected to a TV I could replicate the feeling, but I also want a laptop to study, do research, etc

I'm not sure it's a brazillian thing, but PCs here are not sturdy. I feel like my PCs Always start having issues after a few years. Last one I bought 4 years ago is already useless. Consoles have a good life at least

I also have a PS5 so no effect on me as well. I think even for that price I'd still get a PS6, I like some of Sony's first parties and being able to play them early is a plus

But if they go all digital and offer no compensation, then I will probably skip their next console

Most computers have hdmi out.  I connected to my TV just like a console with a xbox controller.  It works just like a console, except I can custom game settings.

Same here. I have a Mini-ITX build for easy transport between my desk and my living room. It's also even better nowadays because of Valve updating Big Picture Mode to be in line with the Steam Deck interface.

Otter said:

I get why it panned out this way but trying to demonstrate the Pro on a bunch of old games we've all completed that are already extremely well optimised for PS5 felt extremely uneventful

Yeah I think it would've been great if Sony had a game ready to really show off the power of the device rather than previously released titles. Seeing TLoU Part 2 as the first example had me going "ummmm" lol.

That and I also felt like I was watching a Digital Foundry video with trying to show the zoom in sharpness effects that no one is going to be able to notice unless they have a magnifying glass on their TV lol

Around the Network

Honestly, I think from how low-key the event was, they're not expecting much from this... It will probably sell half of what PS4 Pro managed

Trading in my PS5 digital to get a PS5 Pro it would cost me around £470 to upgrade.

Trading in my RTX 3060 I could get an RTX 4070 for £300... Which will be more powerful than the PS5 Pro

I'm going to completely ignore the Pro. Better just to wait 3-4 years for a PS6 which will probably then be able to play all PS5 games in BC the same as PS5 Pro does.

Yeah, that's a big no from me.

Bandorr said:

A Bit pricey but not really a concern.
You can always wait and it gets cheaper.

Yeah, because console prices have fallen on a regular basis in recent years.

/s

Otter said:

Honestly, I think from how low-key the event was, they're not expecting much from this... It will probably sell half of what PS4 Pro managed

If this is true, PS4 Pro sold at least 14.3 million, and I'd have to imagine closer to 15 million in whole millions because this was as of 19 Jan 2020. As a percentage of PS5 consoles and a raw number, PS5 Pro is sure to sell less than PS4 Pro. I'd be surprised if PS5 Pro cracks 10 million. I'm thinking about 6-8 million units sold. And even then, the backlash and price could make it more like 5 million. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima