By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Generations games are starting to look too sharpened graphically.

I....

Like the sharpened look 5 25.00%

Hate the sharpened look 7 35.00%

I'd get used to it, it's okay. 2 10.00%

I can't see what you're talking about. 6 30.00%

Total:20

I actually quite like motion blur, bloom, and depth of field when well implemented.
They can be bad if applied excessively or in bad taste, but generally when given the option I keep them on.

The use of bloom in something like Metroid Prime 3 or the application of motion blur and depth of field in Naughty Dog's PS3/PS4 games is quite nice.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Leynos said:

Outside of Chromatic Aberration and Bloom Lighting (latter is dead thankfully) what else is there?

Film grain. - Just muddies the image.
Lens flare. - Unrealistic and often intrusive.
Ambient occlusion. - Gives assets a floaty look.
Motion Blur. - Exception is quality per-object motion blur done tastefully.
Morphological Anti-Aliasing. - Pixel shader based that blurs the edges of polygons. It's shit.

Funny you mention lens flare. It's something I don't get when the camera is supposed to not exist. I forgave it in Mario 64 as they are showing off this new-fangled 3D console.  One recent game just annoyed the shit out of me for a stupid effect. Lords of the Fallen.  Snow hitting the lens. Why? It's not Samus's Visor and it's not FP and it's a fantasy setting. Why is snow hitting the fucking lens?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SvennoJ said:
Leynos said:

Outside of Chromatic Aberration and Bloom Lighting (latter is dead thankfully) what else is there?

Dirty lens effect, lens flares, lens distortion, vignette, film grain, camera shake, exaggerated motion blur, exaggerated DOF effects, exaggerated contrast with black crush, fake HDR, sharpening filters as in the OP.

Bad HDR is a good one.  I love Tiny Tina, but it is the worse HDR I have ever seen.  I have to turn it off because it burns my eyes.  And the in game  calibration doesn't work.  

Motion blur and film grain are the first two things I turn off.  I hate both.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Pemalite said:
Leynos said:

Morphological Anti-Aliasing. - Pixel shader based that blurs the edges of polygons. It's shit.

Hmm yeah, there's a whole list of questionable AA methods, FXAA for example.

And whatever technique Horizon FW used at release that actually gave me a migraine twice so I had to stop playing. Upscaling gone wrong

It had bad HDR as well, I played the game in SDR 1080p in quality mode instead. Great game, but not worth headaches!

Lighting effects gone wrong

Leynos said:
Pemalite said:

Funny you mention lens flare. It's something I don't get when the camera is supposed to not exist. I forgave it in Mario 64 as they are showing off this new-fangled 3D console.  One recent game just annoyed the shit out of me for a stupid effect. Lords of the Fallen.  Snow hitting the lens. Why? It's not Samus's Visor and it's not FP and it's a fantasy setting. Why is snow hitting the fucking lens?

Some games it adds to the aesthetics and scene really well... Mass Effect is probably one of the best examples.

Other games like Serious Sam just abused the technique.

Chrkeller said:

Bad HDR is a good one.  I love Tiny Tina, but it is the worse HDR I have ever seen.  I have to turn it off because it burns my eyes.  And the in game  calibration doesn't work.  

Motion blur and film grain are the first two things I turn off.  I hate both.  

We need to keep in mind that there are different "types" of HDR.

Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 used a HDR rendering pipeline... As did games like FarCry and Half Life 2.
For a good break down give this a read from Arstechnica and valve: https://arstechnica.com/features/2005/09/lostcoast/

In short it differs from today's "HDR" by being a rendering technique to better illustrate differences of brightness... And developers can use that extra frame information to build additional effects like Bloom or Motion Blur... Nothing happens on the display end.

Today we use HDR as additional information to tell a display, what areas to brighten or darken.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It was common in early 360/PS3 games for devs to spam specular/gloss maps across all kinds of surfaces regardless of whether it made sense, resulting in things like rock or trees or brickwork appearing overly shiny, which was rather ugly:

Thankfully this tendency died off as the gen progressed and devs learned how to make better use of the hardware.

I'm also really not a fan of how a lot of PS5/Xbox Series games render at low resolutions and lean heavily on FSR and other forms of reconstruction to upsample the image; it tends to create rather unpleasant results. I ended up playing Final Fantasy 16 in graphics mode cos the performance mode looked fine when you were standing still but dissolved into a murky mess every time there was movement.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 August 2024

Just give me 6th gen graffix with high res and fps and I'm set.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:

Get a Quest 3 ;)

SvennoJ said:
m0ney said:

Get a Quest 3 ;)

This made me chuckle...but seriously, best looking Quest 3 games are somewhere in the ballpark of 8th Gen

How come we never noticed this level of distortion when Ps4 PRO was doinbg the checkerboard rendering to hit higher Res in performance modes?