By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2024 - The possible titles

I would be fine with FF7 Rebirth getting the award.

Around the Network

Astrobot!

Astrobot for the win.

Funnily enough I'm playing both Astro and FFVII Rebirth at the same time

For sure Astro is the more polished product helped by its much smaller scope, but I that consideration in scope is something that really needs to be brought back with AAA gaming. I'm increasingly enjoying Rebirth as the story picks up but the game I think falls into this trap of unnecessarily bloating every area in it with content, crafting loot and excessive set pieces. We really need to go back to a time where we acknowledge that giving the player over the shoulder control over every action and environment does not = more immersion. There have been so many times in Rebirth where I've been battling with a camera within a small indoor environment, or a location which is super iconic in the OG VII is now a bit less so because the overwhelming amount of detail, directions and lack of focus/guiding of the players attention and eye. Boss Battles that before were clean are now as visual mess with things happening in every corner of the screen and lack of visibility on what your team mates are doing. Its a great game, I just think the experience is harmed a bit by forced expectations of what a modern AAA game must be.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I still think it's a little early to put down the chips on anything but since the thread is here might as well.

If you ask me the winner is predictable, but the nominee lists are much trickier. I'd expect something like this:

• Astro Bot
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Tekken 8
  • Balatro or Animal Well
  • Echoes of Wisdom
  • Helldivers 2 or Space Marine 2 (I think western award shows break out in a cold sweat at the thought of having only japanese games and indies)

Only the top two stand an actual chance, but I'd definitely put my money on Astro Bot since Rebirth is a sequel, a remake and a JRPG.

A few slighly less likely candidates would be Wukong, Yakuza and Dragon's Dogma II. I'm sure some shows will go fuck it and nominate Shadow of the Erdtree as well.

As for games that are yet to release I think only Dragon Age: Veilguard could theoretically stand a chance, Metaphor is too japanese and Indiana Jones is releasing in december and most Game Awards insist on deciding the game of the year before the year is over. Honestly Veilguard isn't entirely far fetched since there's so little western competition.

Alright Metaphor will probably take one of the spots. At a 90 I think it could have been snubbed but now it's basicly matching Rebirth, and even if I don't think it will be as successful (or good) as Persona 5, I think many will agree that Atlus is due for some recognition.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

We now have three front-runners: Astro Bot, FFVIIReBirth, Metaphor. Very close year, much more exciting than last year (with the obvious winner). Curious to see what other games will fill the next three spots? Zelda EoW? Helldivers? Wukong? Balatro? Animal Well? I can definitely see Wukong, though it is a Chinese game…so it’s hard to say how sites would feel about nominating it. I don’t think Concord’s getting nominated.

Around the Network

Dude.....Silent Hill 2 has entered the chat. This game is sooooooooo insanely good!! It's honestly giving RE2 and RE4 remakes a run for their money!

Wukong, Astro Bot, Metaphor .. should probably be amoung them.

Last edited by JRPGfan - 1 day ago

So realistically, we are looking at:

• Silent hill 2
  • astro bot
  • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
  • Metaphor

and then probably a wildcard or two. (Wukong, Balatro, Animal Well, Helldivers 2, etc)

As happy and excited I am for Silent Hill 2, an 87 scored remake is probably not getting nominated. This year is proving more stacked than we initially thought. But I made a similar comment last year against RE4 lol.

I think I'm going to like SH2 Remake more than the remakes of RE2 and 4 (nothing beats RE1 Remake though).

Kyuu said:

As happy and excited I am for Silent Hill 2, an 87 scored remake is probably not getting nominated. This year is proving more stacked than we initially thought. But I made a similar comment last year against RE4 lol.

I think I'm going to like SH2 Remake more than the remakes of RE2 and 4 (nothing beats RE1 Remake though).

I know I am! Which I didn't think was possible. 

It is notable that RE Village received a GOTY nomination at 84.