By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Astro-Bot or Zelda EoW? Clash of the 2024 September Titans

Which will sell more? Which will perform better with critics?

Astro Bot (Sales & Critical Reception) 19 22.35%

Zelda (Sales & Critical Reception) 29 34.12%

Astro Bot (Sales), Zelda (Critical Reception) 3 3.53%

Astro Bot (Critical Reception), Zelda (Sales) 34 40.00%

Total:85

As a follow-up to Clash of the October 20th titans: Who will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2? (by @curl-6), I'm curious to hear the VGChartz commuity's thoughts on (what I percieve to be) the two big holiday releases of 2024.

With early impressions suggesting Astro-Bot as being comparable with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, and Echoes of Wisdom appearing to completely turn the traditional 2D Zelda formula on-its-head with scale and depth similar to BotW/TotK, it would not be an overstatement to state that expectations are sky-high (even if they likely won't see the sales figures of Super Mario Wonder nor Spiderman 2).

Being that we are now exactly 25 days away from the launch of Astro-Bot (with Zelda not too far off), I thought now might be a good time to open the question: Who will come out victorious this year, relative to sales figures and MC/OC averages?

Astro Bot - Latest Trailer

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom - Latest Trailer

Last edited by firebush03 - on 31 August 2024

Around the Network

My vote is for astrobot for both categories.

It looks beautiful. It looks original. It looks fun! And the ps5 community is desperate for a good first party title….so we will eat it up.

I hope it lives up to the hype!

As far as sales, normally, I would go with Zelda due to the name and the install base advantages but I could see Astrobot being bundled with the PS5 this holiday, so that would probably give it the advantage in the long run. Plus, Astrobot is exactly the kind of game the PS5 needs right now.

Regarding the games' critiques, Zelda just got 10 times more interesting for me after that new detailed trailer last week, so I'm expecting really great things from it now. But Astrobot looks so freak'n good and after Playroom (still one of the coolest things I've played on PS5), I truly hope Sony doesn't waste the potential with this IP like they did with Sackboy.

So I really don't know what to expect here, so I gave them both a nod:

Voted Astro for sales, Zelda for reception.

archbrix said:

As far as sales, normally, I would go with Zelda due to the name and the install base advantages but I could see Astrobot being bundled with the PS5 this holiday, so that would probably give it the advantage in the long run. Plus, Astrobot is exactly the kind of game the PS5 needs right now.

Regarding the games' critiques, Zelda just got 10 times more interesting for me after that new detailed trailer last week, so I'm expecting really great things from it now. But Astrobot looks so freak'n good and after Playroom (still one of the coolest things I've played on PS5), I truly hope Sony doesn't waste the potential with this IP like they did with Sackboy.

So I really don't know what to expect here, so I gave them both a nod:

Voted Astro for sales, Zelda for reception.

Astrobot looks amasing, this is like a Sony version of a "3D mario game" level of insane polish for a 3D platformer (a good 3D mario is something special).
I didn't even think sony could pull off something of that level.  To be honest, not many can compete against nintendo when it comes to 3D platformers.

Zelda EoW looks low effort...  it almost looks like a high resolution version of a 3DS game like "a link between worlds". 
While it has novice and creative ways of interacting with the world and creatures in it, it just looks abit dated to me.

I think Astrobot wins in both area's.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 August 2024

Switch's best-selling Zelda games by far are BOTW and TOTK. Those are the event Zelda games.
EoW will be profitable and sell millions but it's not even getting close to TOTK. It probably won't match the 6.46 million and counting of Link's Awakening (Switch).
Astro Bot has good marketing so far which will hopefully get better in the next weeks. Astro Bot looks fun and appropriate for a wide audience. It's the kind of game Sony has been missing. It's not going to sell like God of War games, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, or Horizon but it will sell well.
Astro Bot wins in critical reception and sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

What's up with AstroBot's overestimation on VGChartz? This game is not going to sell better than a Zel(duh), probably not even better than Zeda remaster. 4 million copies tops, 2-3 million more likely, under 2 million is a possibility too.

I voted Astro (reception) Zelda (sales). But good chance Zelda wins both.

I would love for AstroBot to do huge numbers as much as I would have loved Shadow of the Colossus to sell like a Sony AAA game. But only a small part of the Playstation playerbase is into this kind of game. Even on Nintendo systems, it won't be easy for a niche platformer to sell several million copies.

Last but not least, PS5 is clearly losing hype to PC.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you guys can make fun of me later!

Last edited by Kyuu - on 14 August 2024

I'm rooting for Astrobot. It looks amazing and the reception so far was overwhelmingly positive. There's a shortage of 3D platformers for PS5 (a shortage for any Sony first party for that matter). The trailer screams "must-play"

Zelda looks just another 2D Zelda entry, with similar art style and design of past entries. It will sell well, but it's not touching Links Awekening 6 million. Maybe it will sell in 3 to 4 million range

Astrobot wins here

Astro Bot is Sony's big release for the holiday season while Zelda has more competition from other first party Switch games. I think this will help Astro Bot this year. That said, I think Zelda will outsell it lifetime. Astro Bot will most likely sell in LittleBigPlanet territory and end with several million copies sold. I think Zelda will narrowly edge it out when all is said and done.

As for reviews, I think having a playable Zelda at long last will help Echoes of Wisdom, but reviewers tend to dig well made 3D platformers so Astro Bot will win on that front.

From my sentiment on the whole thing, I see Zelda edging it out in sales, while Astro Bot gets the reception edges.

Main point is that the PlayStation userbase still have to prove they are sustainable for this kind of genre to get the attention and sales it deserves on a similar level to Nintendo. Maybe it does this time,.maybe it doesn't (like with the Sack Boy game on the PS5 Launch or Ratchet n Clank).

Until then, I think Nintendo showed a willingness to revigorate the 2D Zelda in a similar approach to what they did with 3D Zelda. Latest trailer has caught the attention of many so I don't doubt that it can do a great financial result.

Anywoo, just saying but can we not transform this thread into the same monstrosity that was the last clash, last year ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Anywoo, just saying but can we not transform this thread into the same monstrosity that was the last clash, last year ?

If I could get some moderation assistance, that would be ideal lol. Specifically, I'd be looking to block specific users who would almost certainly cause problems (you know the ones) before they even comment in the thread. I was a little hesistent about creating a "Nintendo v Sony" thread (for the obvious reason of conversation descends into "console wars" territory). Hopefully everything can be civil here...

Last edited by firebush03 - on 12 August 2024