By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30

Well, 

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Oh yeah, I forgot physical games still exist, lol. How do you find these? Do you like keep up with reviews or what? Or buy something the looks good on the cover? 

It's the digital store that is the issue, I suppose I should have clarified that. 

I pay zero attention to reviews but keep in touch with what is released. Also imports.  A ton of arcade stuff ported and made for it. Tons of shmups and Saturn/Dreamcast and Genesis ports. Then of course Nintendo Directs themselves.

Well, it's a nice collection. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Wman1996 said:

Admittedly, some people are late adopters. They may not have gotten a PS4 or Xbox One until at least 2019, if not 2020-present.

I don't disagree with you, though. If someone is spending hundreds if not over a thousand hours gaming a year plus spending hundreds or more USD to game it seems foolish not to move on because you think the next system doesn't have enough new features or next-gen only titles. You're investing so much of your time and money to game already, but you stubbornly won't get a new system by trading in your old or even keeping your old system and still buying the new system.

There are some people on this site and others still saying a Series X/S and PS5 aren't worth it yet as of July 2024. Unless you're thrifty, casual, or a late adopter, I don't get it. Take a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn. Taking a gaming PC out of the equation, it runs better on PS5 than a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

From Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 & PS5 | Backwards Compatible (backwards-compatible.com)

Resolution: 2160c
Frame rate: 60 FPS
Improvements: LightingTexture FilteringDOFReflectionsLOD

Good point. I'm at 350 hours or so this year, maybe 50 more trying games that didn't gel so I have to wonder how much more time I would have gotten gaming instead of looking at a loading screen or waiting for boot up. What, 5%... 20 hours. It's gotta be 10-15 percent in Hogwarts legacy so that's probably low balling, could be up to 40 hours simply waiting to play which could be used gaming. Yeah... it's definitely time to upgrade. 

I don't know what country you're in, but Series S and Series X go on sale in the USA at least several times a year from retailers like Target and Microsoft themselves.

PS5 is trickier. I don't think it has widespread hardware sales, the best you can hope for is a bundle around the price of the hardware itself or slighter cheaper than buying the hardware and game separately. 

I see you're on a PS4 Pro, so you might want to just wait for a PS5 because you're in the ecosystem. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Good point. I'm at 350 hours or so this year, maybe 50 more trying games that didn't gel so I have to wonder how much more time I would have gotten gaming instead of looking at a loading screen or waiting for boot up. What, 5%... 20 hours. It's gotta be 10-15 percent in Hogwarts legacy so that's probably low balling, could be up to 40 hours simply waiting to play which could be used gaming. Yeah... it's definitely time to upgrade. 

I don't know what country you're in, but Series S and Series X go on sale in the USA at least several times a year from retailers like Target and Microsoft themselves.

PS5 is trickier. I don't think it has widespread hardware sales, the best you can hope for is a bundle around the price of the hardware itself or slighter cheaper than buying the hardware and game separately. 

I see you're on a PS4 Pro, so you might want to just wait for a PS5 because you're in the ecosystem. 

Yeah, fingers crossed for some good Black Friday deals on ps5, could care less if they announce a PRO cause it's already 4k 60fps with PRO like performance/resolution options for games. The thing that's gonna bugger me is grabbing an SSD for more storage, I need more than 800gb and I'm 95% digital now. After this thread, I'm actually hyped even though I know it's not an essential upgrade it's exciting for the QoL and little features but most for Baldaurs Gate 3. That game will occupy me for about 6 months alone. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Wman1996 said:

Admittedly, some people are late adopters. They may not have gotten a PS4 or Xbox One until at least 2019, if not 2020-present.

I don't disagree with you, though. If someone is spending hundreds if not over a thousand hours gaming a year plus spending hundreds or more USD to game it seems foolish not to move on because you think the next system doesn't have enough new features or next-gen only titles. You're investing so much of your time and money to game already, but you stubbornly won't get a new system by trading in your old or even keeping your old system and still buying the new system.

There are some people on this site and others still saying a Series X/S and PS5 aren't worth it yet as of July 2024. Unless you're thrifty, casual, or a late adopter, I don't get it. Take a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn. Taking a gaming PC out of the equation, it runs better on PS5 than a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

From Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 & PS5 | Backwards Compatible (backwards-compatible.com)

Resolution: 2160c
Frame rate: 60 FPS
Improvements: LightingTexture FilteringDOFReflectionsLOD

Are you gonna play fromsoftware games locked at 60fps or ps5 version with better framerate 

zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Are you gonna play fromsoftware games locked at 60fps or ps5 version with better framerate 

Yeah, I might actually become a decent Sekiro player or heck, maybe it'll give me the edge to beat Radhan. 😆 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

I hope you're right about VR sticking around. It's too cool to have it die or get shelved til the future. Ya have to admit though, the games start to get really samey. It's like... Puzzles... shootings gallery...experience fishing/water rafting/climbing... here's an on rails shooter. Such a revolutionary technology should have revolutionary software. 

The revolutionary part is how you experience and interact with the games.

The problem with hybrid games is that they're all made for TV and controller (thus limited to one handed protagonists with a fixed perspective)
The problem with made for VR games, no budget to make something revolutionary / too risky.

The problem in general is, every new game still needs to cater to new comers who don't have their VR legs yet. Next to there not being all that much experience yet developing in VR.

And then there are the gamers, who are very conservative when it comes to new games. Most want something they already know. Thus making it even more risky to try new game play. 

VR has a lot of hurdles to overcome.

It will come, VR is only in the second generation, Atari 2600 / Intellivision level. Nothing has even been standardized yet. Basically still at the port Arcade games to console level, port existing games to VR.

LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah, it gives pause to think will there even be generations anymore and instead just newer models like upgrading a PC. 

You are already doing that.

A new device gets released periodically, where you buy said new device and bring all your games with you.
Playstation 4 > Playstation 4 Pro > Playstation 5.
Xbox One > Xbox One X > Xbox Series S > Xbox Series X.

NobleTeam360 said:

I think the SSD was the biggest thing for this gen of consoles. Whenever I return to a PS4 or Xb1, the load times feel ridiculous. I think a big problem with this gen is devs reluctance to abandon the PS4, which makes this gen feel less "unique" for lack of a better word.

The SSD hasn't really been the game changer many had hoped with instant install and load times. Many games are bottleneck by optical drives and internet speeds for installs/updates... And many games still have loads.
But I haven't seen "new" gameplay possibilities opened up that really bring a new level of immersion, it's more of the same, but prettier.

In saying that, I did replace my Xbox One internal mechanical HDD with a speedy 2TB Crucial SATA SSD.
And whilst the load times are better, it's actually the CPU that is holding things back from loading quickly.
I saw a larger improvement on the Xbox One X with the same model SSD and SATA interface, which makes sense as the CPU was 550Mhz faster on all the cores... And that did make a difference.

I don't think people truly comprehended how garbage Jaguar was in the grand scheme of things... And made unpacking and loading data extremely cumbersome.
In short, there is more to loading than just the storage... So when people fire up the Series S/X or Playstation 5, they falsely attribute the improved loading on just the storage... Which is far removed from reality, the Zen CPU cores and custom decompression engines are lifting a massive amount of the weight.

Another example... Nintendo with the Switch, all solid state, but when Nintendo uncapped the CPU core speed while loading, we saw marked improvements in load times.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The SSDs are the real game changer of this generation, yet the software presence of the big publishers have never been so weak and absent than before.

Marquee titles will only come in vagues after 4 or 5 years of wait before you get something that makes the purchase feel worthwhile to most.

So yeah, not impressed so far. The later years will most likely save this generation but those first four years have been obviously marked by quite the lows.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909