By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

You been gaming since the 4th gen but you are also someone that just doesn't care about graphics or performance.  you are also someone that skipped ps4 and xbox so  this is perplexing that you are complaining about exclusives  and graphics. Mean while if any techically demanding downgraded ps4/xbox  games come to switch you are first inline waiting to buy it, but a upgraded one on ps5 thats day 1 and cheaper is boring.

I buy my multiplats on Switch (if the port is good) mainly because I travel for work; it's easier to take my Switch with me than my PS5.

"Impossible ports" on all different hardware are also just interesting to me.

And I didn't criticize PS5/XBS graphics as a whole, but rather the generation gap; new gens used to have massive exciting leaps over anything that had gone before, but with the current gen it seems we've reached a point of diminishing returns.

I get it but you seem more  interested in actually just watching videos, and reading about graphics then actually playing and enjoying games with latest graphics. Since you just got a ps5 we havent even heard you even talk about one game on the system lol, and you skipped ps4 and xbox so you should have a ton of games to play.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I buy my multiplats on Switch (if the port is good) mainly because I travel for work; it's easier to take my Switch with me than my PS5.

"Impossible ports" on all different hardware are also just interesting to me.

And I didn't criticize PS5/XBS graphics as a whole, but rather the generation gap; new gens used to have massive exciting leaps over anything that had gone before, but with the current gen it seems we've reached a point of diminishing returns.

I get it but you seem more  interested in actually just watching videos, and reading about graphics then actually playing and enjoying games with latest graphics. Since you just got a ps5 we havent even heard you even talk about one game on the system lol.

Well, my favourite game I have played recently on PS5 is Stellar Blade. Beautiful game with a fun combat system and a great sense of style.

I also enjoyed Hogwarts Legacy, Final Fantasy 16, and Diablo IV.

Great upgrade for me

Many good games to play running in a very good state. Like resolution and framerate, short loading times and seemless transition in open world environment

I think games now have a good mix of fidelity and art direction, to an extend most of games are very pleasant to play and look. The gameplay is becoming tighter and tighter and with good QOL and UIs

The release schedule is barren, but games are released with extensive content and elements to give them good replayability so I'm not really bothering with lack of games to play when I easily spend over 200h in many games

Poor upgrade.

I've hardly used the Series X at all since I bought it. I already played Halo Infinite and FH5 on PC, then Starfield and FM8 were disappointments. The Series X has spend more time playing 4K blu-rays than games. And that's only half a dozen movies.

PS5 is massive, awkward to handle. I rather played GT7 on PS4 Pro than PS5. Different (friendlier) racing crowd in the PS4 version and for graphics it hardly makes any difference. The SSD is of course nice but game sizes did not decrease as 'promised'. It's always full, annoying.

One essential upgrade is PSVR2 and that's where all my gaming time goes nowadays. More VR games fit on the SSD (most smaller games), short loading times in VR are a must and HDR in VR is amazing.

Only good thing is faster loading times. All the other improvemetns are negligible and games take even longer to make so there's that

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Poor upgrade.

I've hardly used the Series X at all since I bought it. I already played Halo Infinite and FH5 on PC, then Starfield and FM8 were disappointments. The Series X has spend more time playing 4K blu-rays than games. And that's only half a dozen movies.

PS5 is massive, awkward to handle. I rather played GT7 on PS4 Pro than PS5. Different (friendlier) racing crowd in the PS4 version and for graphics it hardly makes any difference. The SSD is of course nice but game sizes did not decrease as 'promised'. It's always full, annoying.

One essential upgrade is PSVR2 and that's where all my gaming time goes nowadays. More VR games fit on the SSD (most smaller games), short loading times in VR are a must and HDR in VR is amazing.

Yep, I'd consider PSVR 2 essential but it's so pricey and they still have that damn wire even though it's nice to see they've done away with the damn breakout box, that thing was so inconvenient. However the narrative now is that VR is dying, Sony are giving up on it and it's going the way of the vita. The Vita is still a great system as I'm sure PSVR 2 is and it'll be great to het one on the cheap sometime down the line. I do hope they keep the store alive though and that's my biggest fear with it. They tore down the store for PSVR on PS4, practically wiping it out of existence unless you used very specific title searching and even then some won't show up. It's good to see ya enjoying it though, at least some people are finding that joy in it and it's not a total disaster. I'm sure it'll be easy to reigilnite the VR craze again when the time comes since there is such a devout group of loyalists who are still showing love for it and that unprecedented attach rate should, hopefully be enough to get console publishers and Sony to look at it again. Probably when Meta or Valve or the like can make the hardware to the size and ease of swimming goggles. I still think console VR would have been the best had it worked out and there was no pandemic/economic slump. It had a really good chance. Such a pity. 

Alas, it's essential hardware for seemingly inessential hardware. 

LegitHyperbole said:
SanAndreasX said:

The Switch is still the best console going.

Naaah. It got stretched to it's limits years ago, it can't keep up with PS4 and Xbox let aline ps5 and XS for general releases. I love the yolk but it's very focused on shovel ware and the main Nintendo releases just aren't enough if you were to pick only one console. It's a great system to have on the side for indies and works best as a handheld. Just my opinion. I also don't count it as 9th gen, it's only there over a technicality of a failed console, a loop hole in how we look at generations, that's why I excluded it in the poll. 

The best game I’ve played that was released this year is a multiplatform game that ran beautifully on Switch and had its best sales on Switch: Unicorn Overlord.

i am largely uninterested in the AAA space anymore. Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco still do decent stuff in that space. Larian did a good job on BG3. But that’s pretty much it. 

SanAndreasX said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Naaah. It got stretched to it's limits years ago, it can't keep up with PS4 and Xbox let aline ps5 and XS for general releases. I love the yolk but it's very focused on shovel ware and the main Nintendo releases just aren't enough if you were to pick only one console. It's a great system to have on the side for indies and works best as a handheld. Just my opinion. I also don't count it as 9th gen, it's only there over a technicality of a failed console, a loop hole in how we look at generations, that's why I excluded it in the poll. 

The best game I’ve played that was released this year is a multiplatform game that ran beautifully on Switch and had its best sales on Switch: Unicorn Overlord.

i am largely uninterested in the AAA space anymore. Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco still do decent stuff in that space. Larian did a good job on BG3. But that’s pretty much it. 

Yeah, I see the hype around that game and can't wait to get around to it and definitely is on consideration for a switch playthrough. But hey, you have to agree, the Switch aged super fast. Like it couldn't even handle the GTA remasters as well as the PS4 or Xbox while docked, not even close and those games are three generations old. Even if it has the power to do so companies don't seem able to or willing to put in the effort to port properly, AAA or not even the older games, remasters and ports like. That's a problem. Some work perfectly and then you get something like Mortal Kombat. 

LegitHyperbole said:
SanAndreasX said:

Yeah, I see the hype around that game and can't wait to get around to it and definitely is on consideration for a switch playthrough. But hey, you have to agree, the Switch aged super fast. Like it couldn't even handle the GTA remasters as well as the PS4 or Xbox while docked, not even close and those games are three generations old. Even if it has the power to do so companies don't seem able to or willing to put in the effort to port properly, AAA or not even the older games, remasters and ports like. That's a problem. Some work perfectly and then you get something like Mortal Kombat. 

Yea even the good ports are too  compromised. Like ps4 came out in 2013 as mainly a home console player, i don't want a experiance that's gonna much worse in most cases then something that came out 11 years ago, no thanks.

I've had a Series X since April and won't own a Series X game until next month with Cygni which is multiplatform. I will get Space Marine 2 on it as well. That said it is nice to play Gears 3/4 in 60FPS but is that worth a 500-dollar console? No. Great hardware but maybe a One X would be better to get if not for Hi-Fi Rush...even tho on PS5.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!