By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you love or hate Baldaurs Gate 3 type CRPG's and why? (Poll)

Best game ...

Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire 0 0%

Divinity Original Sin 2 4 16.67%

Path Finder: Wrath of the Righteous 1 4.17%

Wasteland 3 0 0%

Disco Elysium 2 8.33%

Torment: Tides of Numenera 0 0%

Baldaurs Gate 3 8 33.33%

Dragon Age Inquisition 3 12.50%

Other in comments. 6 25.00%

Total:24
Leynos said:

Why is DAI on the poll but not Dragon Age Origins the only good DA game? DAO is turn-based. Attacks only land based on dice roll. Also, I liked Divine Divinity which predates Original Sin. I do like Kingdoms of Amalur a lot. I like the occasional one. Tho JRPGs are more my thing and don't think that means all turn based. Genre began action and plenty are action. Tho I like many turn-based as well.

It didn't seem fair to choose the sequels for Divinity and Pillars but use Origins for the poll. I agree, Origins was a better example but Inquisition wasn't bad either, it was very popular and had excellent combat on higher difficulties with solid quest design and a great world and strong story. Idk why it gets such hate. 

JRPG's seem to be bringing more and more western aspects to their games so I imagine future JRPGs will be different. The new trend of action based combat with pause is basically just a newer facier version of old CRPG combat, like in the original Baldaurs gate games but I get ya, I love JRPGs too but they can get very tedious, at least the older ones, I love the direction the Tales games are going in, even if I would like more control over the party and a pause feature during combat. 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

CRPGs are probably my favorite genre in all of gaming, ever since the golden 90s with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, all their sequels. There was also Neverwinter Nights, which wasn't quite the same, with its more action-oriented focus, but still a fantastic game. BG3 was ace, and I really love the Pathfinder games. I played through Kingmaker alone three times, and finished Wrath of the Righteous. The latter is probably the best CRPG of the past decade for me, along with BG3. I'm really happy that the genre is making a comeback; there's way too much action-RPG drivel with endless animations and effects, button-mashing, and shallow writing.

Edit; Oh, and by the way, I'm an old TTRPG nerd since around 1993, I've played a multitude of TTRPGs in the years since. I'm still playing Pathfinder now and then.

Wrath of the Righteous is soooooo complex. I've started it half a dozen times and the complexity boggles me every time plus the party size is huge. Very overwhelming experience but I'm sure since you're a TTRPGer that it'd seem simple and I'm a fifty casual :). 

G2ThaUNiT said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Exactly. I've never played DnD but from these games I can see why people love it so much and Yep, a new camera angle indeed but the same core genre. I fear for the future of Dragon age based on what they've shown us though of Veilgaurd and Fallout has gone to the dogs with F4 and the unmentionable one. I've heard rumors of a new KOTOR game though, It'd be great to see that come to fruition. I'd just love a remake/remaster so I can play it in full now as an adult. 

Same. BioWare and Bethesda just aren't the same as they used to be and have focused on a more casual experience that appeals to as large of an audience as possible. 

There was supposed to be a remake of KOTOR, which apparently still seems to be in development at Saber Interactive, but they were going to be modernizing the combat to be more in line with FF7 Remake. Which I guess is fine. It'll be flashier, but it removes the d20 D&D combat system the original had, which removes a big part of the CRPG experience. Every attack had a 20-sided dice constantly being rolled. But as long as the story is the same for the most part, I'm fine with it. Still one of the best stories in all of gaming!

One suggestion I have you can currently check out is Greedfall! It's Dragon's Age inspired in nature, and it has a sequel releasing in September. 

Another game that's releasing at some point in the future is The Wayward Realms. Being developed by 90s era Bethesda devs and are promising the game to be what made those early Elder Scrolls games special but fully realized than being held back by the technology of that time.

Oh, I was looking into Greedfall, ai think I seen it on PS catalogue. It's great to see some AA games in this day and age and that developer seems to be getting better at what they do, The Technomancer and Bound by flame looked like really solid attempts that just fell short of the mark a bit. And nice one, I'll keep an eye out for Wayward realms. Cheers. 

I've only played BG3 which is easily among the best games I've played (with a serious shot to be the best game period)

So don't know if I like them, but the one I know and played is incredible

IcaroRibeiro said:

I've only played BG3 which is easily among the best games I've played (with a serious shot to be the best game period)

So don't know if I like them, but the one I know and played is incredible

Divinity OS and OS 2 are fantastic and made by the same team that doen Baldaurs Gate 3, Original Sin is showing a bit in age but it's still a 10/10 experience. These are the games that prepared and molded the team that made Baldaurs Gate 3. I can't stress enough how good Divinity Original Sin 2 is and I can't imagine BG3 taking away from that experience. It also has a world unique to itself with lore separate from D&D so you won't get any cross over now that you've played BG3. It'll feel fresh and man is the lore in the Original Sin series fresh and unique, whimsical but believable and fully immersive.  

Around the Network

A bit of both. I like DnD but it's frankly not the best designed game and the mechanics are less at home in video games as well. When you leave the random rolls to a computer instead of dice it easily becomes annoying rather than fun. Playing BG3 now and it does a pretty solid job of making the best of DnD but still has its fair share of flaws.

Disco Elysium is probably the best CRPG I've played I would say, it's only real weakness is having too much content not all of which is equally interesting, but the good parts are really, really good.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

A bit of both. I like DnD but it's frankly not the best designed game and the mechanics are less at home in video games as well. When you leave the random rolls to a computer instead of dice it easily becomes annoying rather than fun. Playing BG3 now and it does a pretty solid job of making the best of DnD but still has its fair share of flaws.

Disco Elysium is probably the best CRPG I've played I would say, it's only real weakness is having too much content not all of which is equally interesting, but the good parts are really, really good.

My BF has Divinity 2. I'm installing it now, he also liked Disco Elysium. Maybe I'll try it later 

Not my favorite type of games, but I did enjoy both Dragon Age and Divinity Original Sin 2 from the list. I may get to Baldurs Gate 3 one day, when it comes out physically.

I enjoyed Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Wrath of Righteous precursor). I already understood the base TTRPG game system solidly.
(the TTRPG it´s based on is now on totally new version, but the older version has it´s classic charm I guess)
(TLDR there is so many moving parts and subystems, albeit many may not matter for any given character)
(itemization is also major part, but understanding how those fit that base system is important)
(the CRPG also departs from TTRPG in several ways, and having idea of the loot drops may impact your build choices)
Probably my favorite part was going into megadungeon with only 1.5 days of rations for my party
and needing to ultra-efficiency it, being unable to fully recover, including one character perma-dying mid-way thru.
(favorite as in very frustrating, but also an accomplishment once I really dedicate to pulling it off... weirdly the boss was no problem)
TBH it´s probably easily the lowest budget game of all of these, and it shows, so it´s kind of a warts-and-all experience.
(e.g. the kingdom management mini-game was probably the most irritating for me, or near-impossible random encounters etc)

rapsuperstar31 said:

Not my favorite type of games, but I did enjoy both Dragon Age and Divinity Original Sin 2 from the list. I may get to Baldurs Gate 3 one day, when it comes out physically.

It is available physically. Although i think they’re doing it in waves still