By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
Chrkeller said:

Games have gotten way easier overtime. People have forgotten what "Nintendo hard" means.

Souls is a soft return to the old days of hard, but not really. Souls is easier than the average NES game.

Growing up I could only beat probably half the games I owned, today not being able to finish a game is just a foreign concept.

Nintendo hard was because you had to do repetitive shit like start all over, if you use save points and memorize the part you were stuck then you can easily beat them. souls is much harder with people being stuck on a boss for 3-7 hours depending on skill level. Still i'm talking to curl he hasn't even played most games considered to have the best combat since he mainly plays nintendo games. have you beaten GOW 2018 on GOW mode that shit was hard as hell especially if you wanted to beat the last valkyrie.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 07 July 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Games have gotten way easier overtime. People have forgotten what "Nintendo hard" means.

Souls is a soft return to the old days of hard, but not really. Souls is easier than the average NES game.

Growing up I could only beat probably half the games I owned, today not being able to finish a game is just a foreign concept.

Nintendo hard was because you had to do repetitive shit like start all over, if you use save points and memorize the part you were stuck then you can easily beat them. souls is much harder with people being stuck on a boss for 3-7 hours depending on skill level. Still i'm talking to curl he hasn't even played most games considered to have the best combat since he mainly plays nintendo games. have you beaten GOW 2018 on GOW mode that shit was hard as hell especially if you wanted to beat the last valkyrie.

I've beaten GoW, haven't tried God mode, but that is optional.  Something like Zelda 2 wasn't optionally hard or MDK 2.  Those games were just hard as ****.  

Edit

And many old school games didn't have save points, lol.  Die in Zelda 2 and go back to start.  Most games didn't have check points.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, I don't think you've played every 7th gen game either. Also AAA titles aren't the only games that exist; one of the great things about the 7th gen was that there was more AA stuff on offer, especially on Wii.

I have played most of the highest rated AAA games which is what i'm talking about and combat has vastly improved, The mechanics now are much deeper with more options and way more challenging. We can thank fromsoftware for that it shows that challenging games can be a huge success.

There's way more to gaming than just the highest rated AAA games. Some of the most fun I had in the 7th gen were from AA titles like Monster Hunter Tri, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, The Last Story, Binary Domain, etc.

And technically, I don't play mostly Nintendo games; I own over one hundred 7th gen games and only 20 of them are published by Nintendo.

Of my 47 Switch games, 31 of them, or about 2/3, are third party.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 July 2024

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I've beaten GoW, haven't tried God mode, but that is optional.  Something like Zelda 2 wasn't optionally hard or MDK 2.  Those games were just hard as ****.  

Edit

And many old school games didn't have save points, lol.  Die in Zelda 2 and go back to start.  Most games didn't have check points.  

I have beaten zelda 2, a great game btw. My point  is that these games are hard because you have to start over and it was just tedious so most just gave up, it's not worth it do redo something that you already did get to part you were stuck and redo it again that's why save states bring new life to these games. they are not really hard by being fair it's just being cheap.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

I have beaten zelda 2, a great game btw. My point  is that these games are hard because you have to start over and it was just tedious so most just gave up, it's not worth it do redo something that you already did get to part you were stuck and redo it again that's why save states bring new life to these games. they are not really hard by being fair it's just being cheap.

Oh I agree with that.  Old games are annoyingly hard.  Check points was a great thing.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I have played most of the highest rated AAA games which is what i'm talking about and combat has vastly improved, The mechanics now are much deeper with more options and way more challenging. We can thank fromsoftware for that it shows that challenging games can be a huge success.

There's way more to gaming than just the highest rated AAA games. Some of the most fun I had in the 7th gen were from AA titles like Monster Hunter Tri, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, The Last Story, Binary Domain, etc.

And technically, I don't play mostly Nintendo games; I own over one hundred 7th gen games and only 20 of them are published by Nintendo.

Of my 47 Switch games, 31 of them, or about 2/3, are third party.

I really don't have that much time so of course i will pick what looks cool to me or the highest rated game that looks interesting  to see what the fuss is about. Back to the point most of games known for having the best combat and mechanics are on 8th gen, they have vastly improved in that area. resident evil 4 remake is vastly better then og one combat wise. last of us 2 combat is also vastly better then 1, same with GOW 2018, Spider-Man games before ps4, arkham knight also improves the combat. bloodbrone, dark souls 3 and sikero also have much better combat then dark souls 1 and 2. i think most people that really enjoy challenging combat   have seen massive improvements in  AAA  games.

Did you play MGS5?

curl-6 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

People are blinded. There has never been a time in gaming (even with the shitty aspects) than right now and that makes 8th gen the better gen simply because it's newer, instead People see through rose tented glasses what's essentially inferior. This reminds me of people who keep saying there are no games to play, ffs like, there literally has never been more new games to play, the problem is there are TOO many new games.

I would disagree with the notion that newer inherently means better.

By that logic, every modern game would be better than every old game, yet I'd contend that something like Super Mario World, Metroid Prime, or RE4 2005 wipes the floor with the majority of modern games. 

There are valid reasons for someone to prefer the 7th gen over the 8th; perhaps the new IPs of the 7th resonated with them more, perhaps their favourite developers or franchises were better in the 7th, perhaps they strongly dislike certain trends that were popular in the 8th, etc.

I don't mean that it's newer therefore it's better. I mean the gaming industry ballooned (with a lot of shite also) with a lot of great games even into niches like VR and racing sims, RTS's, strategy games, RPG's etc all getting multiple masterpieces or close to masterpieces. Indies became like AA experiences and boy is there ablot of them all the time, releasing like a waterfall. We got CRPG's back with Divinity OS laying the ground work and even more niche titles like Path Finder gaining success. The Witcher 3 bringing AAA like polish to open world RPG's. Multiple Sony top teir godly budget single player games. Nintendo redfined abload of it's IP's, something it was hesitant to change formulas on for way to long like BoTW. The souls series hit it's stride and then exceeded all expectations.

There are thousands of new games a year on steam and if you dig you can find gems. Every week there are new games to play and if nothing suits you or you aren't paying attention (cause there surely has to be something in the big pile) the next week is only a week away. As much as GaaS and Cacha games suck for me and probably you too, people find them and play them endlessly or for months at a time and speaking of that, we got a great MMO in FF14 which is competition for WoW through the 8th gen and WoW came back in a big way too for a bit. Every aspect and genre of gaming was improved with at least one game. The only aspect that sucked was Xbox but we've seen them lay the groundwork like the PS3 did for something better, there was fun and goodness there too.

The most niche games and genres becoming the most popular is indication that people now have visibility on what is good and not what's sold to them, even among the massive amount of lesser content that is being produced along side them. Publishers have to put out good games cause even the biggest hype can fall through on release day, or perhaps this is more of a newer 9th gen phenomena but one that was born in the 8th gen at least.  

Chrkeller said:

That's not exactly a good thing. You were playing games designed to make you fail so that you'll put a coin in the machine, all odds were against you in the most unfair possible way. They weren't skill based games, more like trial and error difficulty games and yeah, I know there are expections with Nintendo IP changing the formula to be more comfortable home experiences but they still held on to that Arcade mentality, failure state after trial and error. Try playing Super Mario 3 or Double Dragon 2 for the first time without trial and error learning. Skill only takes you so far. Skilled players can beat a new souls with few failure states simply from skill, a sign that the games are fine tuned and not some exceedingly difficult task to bleed you for coins and profit. 

Chrkeller said:

Yeah, I agree. Each new generation of video games, in general, has gotten easier and more approachable than the last. FromSoftware's output over the last 15 years has been absolutely stellar but in terms of difficulty it can't compete with something as simple as Gradius III or Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Now, I'm not saying those 80s games are superior -- they are unfairly, punishingly difficult -- but it's important to put things in perspective.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah, I agree. Each new generation of video games, in general, has gotten easier and more approachable than the last. FromSoftware's output over the last 15 years has been absolutely stellar but in terms of difficulty it can't compete with something as simple as Gradius III or Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Now, I'm not saying those 80s games are superior -- they are unfairly, punishingly difficult -- but it's important to put things in perspective.

In terms of Nintendo games yes, but in terms of the AAA industry now they actually give you options for players that want a challenge. I think if you replay 6th and 7th gen games and  you would be very surprised at how easy they are.