By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2024 (May 27 - Jun 02)

CourageTCD said:

I think that if Nintendo hadn't released NSMBU Deluxe and had released Wonder in the Switch's first years, it definitely would have sold as much as Mario Odyssey by now

Theres just so many mario games right now. If SMBW was the only 2D/Fixed camera Mario game on the Switch I think we can all agree the numbers would be a lot higher.

我是广州人

Around the Network

I think the NSMB series unfortunately sucked some of the enthusiasm out of 2D Mario, they milked the shit out that same tired formula (NSMB, NSMB2, NSMBU, Mario Run) and damaged the franchise in doing so, while Wonder tries to break out of that mold, it isn't enough of a step beyond I think. Sure the games still sell well but obviously we're not seeing the same kind of increase for 2D Mario as we have seen for other Nintendo franchises like Zelda and Smash and Animal Crossing. 

Mario Kart for one is clearly the lead selling Mario franchise these days, even in the movie, a huge chunk of the film is basically a commercial for Mario Kart.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 10 June 2024

Damn!! PS5 digital alone outsold XSX and S life time sales combined. Just leave Japan Xbox 😁😁😁

Mario Wonder is selling great, it's approaching 2 million in Japan in less than 7 months, which is around how much BOTW has sold in 7 years, or Super Mario Party in 6 years, and it's already beaten a lot of high fliers such as Switch Sports and Mario Party Superstars.

There's really no need to downplay it.

curl-6 said:

Mario Wonder is selling great, it's approaching 2 million in Japan in less than 7 months, which is around how much BOTW has sold in 7 years, or Super Mario Party in 6 years, and it's already beaten a lot of high fliers such as Switch Sports and Mario Party Superstars.

I'm still puzzled as to why people expect the game to burn the chart on a daily basis despite currently well enough that it will certainly be the usual evergreen affair. 

In a couple of years, the game will most likely have made it through the 20M-25M+ sold. It was never going to be the race people to the top people thought. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Seems like it’s the same people in multiple threads complaining about Wonder. Trying to attribute its sales trajectory to their personal distaste for the game. It’s futile however, the game is selling just fine. With Switch 2 allegedly being backwards compatible, pretty much a shoe in to reach 20m eventually.

curl-6 said:

It's doing fine, it just isn't going to provide the same kind of "Switch boost" other IPs like Zelda and even 3D Mario got. 

The criticism that it's already being outsold on a weekly basis by older titles like Minecraft and Mario Kart and Smash Bros. is kinda fair though, that probably is something you wouldn't expect to be happening on the regular. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 11 June 2024

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

It's doing fine, it just isn't going to provide the same kind of "Switch boost" other IPs like Zelda and even 3D Mario got. 

The criticism that it's already being outsold on a weekly basis by older titles like Minecraft and Mario Kart and Smash Bros. is kinda fair though, that probably is something you wouldn't expect to be happening on the regular. 

I honestly think wonder is gonna hurt the franchise. 2d mario has become for casuals and the over world is annoying to navigate, plus the wonder seed makes the level messy. My sister is a super casual was like she likes NSMU better.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

I honestly think wonder is gonna hurt the franchise. 2d mario has become for casuals and the over world is annoying to navigate, plus the wonder seed makes the level messy. My sister is a super casual was like she likes NSMU better.

That may be anecdotal though. In the end, Nintendo stated in February that Wonder is the fastest selling Mario title ever. It's still chugging along in the charts despite the Switch being 8 years old and is supposed to be in decline. I think Nintendo is not as worried as some of are here in this thread. It's likely going to sell maybe around 16-18 million in the end of its life when it released so late into the Switch's life cycle. Its a highly received game, which I'm sure the 2D Mario devs, especially the younger ones, can hang their hat on

Kai_Mao said:
zeldaring said:

That may be anecdotal though. In the end, Nintendo stated in February that Wonder is the fastest selling Mario title ever. It's still chugging along in the charts despite the Switch being 8 years old and is supposed to be in decline. I think Nintendo is not as worried as some of are here in this thread. It's likely going to sell maybe around 16-18 million in the end of its life when it released so late into the Switch's life cycle. Its a highly received game, which I'm sure the 2D Mario devs, especially the younger ones, can hang their hat on

No reason to be worried but it's no longer near the top of there franchises in terms of sales. it should get to 20 million and at the highest 22 million.