By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

I do not see them reaching that 13.5m forecast even with a new revision unless they cut the price of all the models and I dunno why they'd bother to do that this late for maybe a couple million or so extra sales. I am certainly curious what they have planned for the 2nd half of this year.

Around the Network
Norion said:

I do not see them reaching that 13.5m forecast even with a new revision unless they cut the price of all the models and I dunno why they'd bother to do that this late for maybe a couple million or so extra sales. I am certainly curious what they have planned for the 2nd half of this year.

Maybe it's just some simple extrapolation from last year's drop and a wait-and-see approach. The same thing happened in FY23 when they projected an optimistic 21M and sold less than 18M.

So far it's very hard to see it happening w/o huge price cuts (doubtful if it would be financially favorable even with a weaker yen) since it's already 26% down this quarter vs. one year ago.

Valdney said:

How much BotW sold versus TotK in the last quarter?

240k for BOTW vs. 330k for TOTK.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 07 May 2024

They could do a Switch Lite OLED version and a $50 cut on all SKUs. Maybe a $75 cut in Europe. They also need a major game for the 2nd half.

haxxiy said:
Norion said:

Maybe it's just some simple extrapolation from last year's drop and a wait-and-see approach. The same thing happened in FY23 when they projected an optimistic 21M and sold less than 18M.

So far it's very hard to see it happening w/o huge price cuts (doubtful if it would be financially favorable even with a weaker yen) since it's already 26% down this quarter vs. one year ago.

I do fully expect them to cut the forecast later on especially since they've now talked about the Switch 2 and even though it's not a full on proper announcement the expectation of it coming soon is gonna spread from that. 

They are not forecasting that figure just to cut later. Not exactly sure what is so hard to believe about them cutting the price. Cutting the price this late allows the Switch continue to reach consumers that haven't taken the plunge or encourage more Oled upgrades. Cutting the price also moves Oled model out of Switch 2's pricing range. The Switch definitely needs pricing adjustments in NA and Europe due to the exchange rates issue with Japan. Switch also made more profit this year than last year despite a drop in hardware and software, clearly they can afford to cut the price.

Around the Network

Passing the DS seems really likely now if it didn't already, and it could pass the PS2 as well.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Weakish legs for Tears of the Kingdom and Scarlet Violet. They won't surpass their predecessors.

On the other hand Princess Peach game did great despite only having ten days to sell over 1m.

As usual Mario Kart continues to be in a league of its own with software sales. It refuses to slow down

Phenomajp13 said:

They are not forecasting that figure just to cut later. Not exactly sure what is so hard to believe about them cutting the price. Cutting the price this late allows the Switch continue to reach consumers that haven't taken the plunge or encourage more Oled upgrades. Cutting the price also moves Oled model out of Switch 2's pricing range. The Switch definitely needs pricing adjustments in NA and Europe due to the exchange rates issue with Japan. Switch also made more profit this year than last year despite a drop in hardware and software, clearly they can afford to cut the price.

It's hard to believe cause of all the inflation that's been happening. Both the PS5 and Series X have literally had a price increase instead of a cut in the past couple years. I won't fully discount the possibility but it would be surprising for it to finally happen this late in the life cycle when its impact on sales will be a lot lower than if it happened earlier on.

Phenomajp13 said:

The operating profit increased because the bulk of their business is overseas but it's measured in an increasingly devalued yen, in dollars both the profits and revenue dropped.

The Switch isn't manufactured in Japan, it's the price there that's currently too low and not the other way around. If anything the Japanese margins must be painfully thin nowadays, so it sucks for them that it's their best-performing market currently.

I expected Princess Peach Showtime to hit one million in sales, but I thought Mario vs. Donkey Kong was too niche to do so, but I'm glad to be proven wrong.

I'm not sure what we'll see for the current Switch in its last months as Nintendo's current system, although I feel pretty confident about Metroid Prime 2 Remastered and Metroid Prime 3 Remastered still being in the pipeline with Metroid Prime 4 being a cross-gen launch title.