By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

If they had managed to put the thing on PS4 they'd have sold more than Remake. They had 100 million consoles and now have half that if Horizon or Ragnorok can do it, Idk why this couldn't have done so. There will be legs though.

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

If they had managed to put the thing on PS4 they'd have sold more than Remake. They had 100 million consoles and now have half that if Horizon or Ragnorok can do it, Idk why this couldn't have done so. There will be legs though.

I'm hoping Square is working like mad to get the PC version ready.  I'd like to see the Rebirth do well and the sooner it hits steam the better.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

People should probably cool their expectations on sales. Square has not done much to build goodwill from the PC, Switch/Nintendo, XBox communities with regards to Final Fantasy and FF7 even, so it's not like these games are just going to be ported and magically sell millions on each platform. 

FF7 Remake sold 1 million on PC for example, it's been available on Steam for almost 2 years now, and FF7 Rebirth will probably be less than that. A lot of people got their fill of FF7 nostalgia with part I and aren't going to come back for part II. It's also going to be a late port and Square-Enix doesn't believe in massive, constant discounts on their games (which is their right, a company doesn't owe it to you to sell you something at 1/2 the price). Having it on Steam earlier will help, but it will be counter balanced by a natural drop from Part I to Part II as we've seen on the PS5 version. Lets say 900k here, a little less than Remake. 

XBox maybe gets you another 300k-350k. Maybe that's generous too, the XBox brand is collapsing fast.

Switch 2 probably nets you another 1 million, a chunk of that coming from Japan where you have old head Final Fantasy fans who have given up on home consoles but would come around for a portable version as that is the preferred way of playing video games in Japan. 

And all these figures I'm looking at a long haul sales cycle too, this is not happening in like 2-3 months. I'm talking like sales after a couple of years. 

Still that comes out to about 2+ million from those extra platforms, and beggars can't be choosers. Those extra 2.2 million (lets say) in sales will help Square-Enix a lot in bringing the overall LTD sales of the game up considerably, probably talking like instead of finishing with like 3.5 mill LTD, it can get up to 5.75 mill LTD, that's a healthy bump and bringing some new players for Part III. Square-Enix is going to have to realize it's going to take a while and several more FF releases to get the sales up on other platforms, they've let their appeal on those platforms atrophy too much.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 25 May 2024

Someone else probably already thought about this and may have even mentioned it, but Square should consider a bundle for Remake and Rebirth when it hits Steam. Could be a great way to rejuvenate traction.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Someone else probably already thought about this and may have even mentioned it, but Square should consider a bundle for Remake and Rebirth when it hits Steam. Could be a great way to rejuvenate traction.

Yes they should stop with the 79,99€ price... I mean come on.

Around the Network
There's still leeway where S-E could increase the graphics fidelity for FF17 and FF7 Remake Part III and still probably have a Switch 2 version even. 

A Plague's Tale: Requiem is probably still the best looking game on the PS5, I'd put it definitely above FF7 Rebirth and FF16 visually. 

A Plague's Tale: Requiem has similar scale to Final Fantasy games (quasi-open world fantasy), but it also runs fine on a 2050 GPU, and a 2050 only has 4GB of VRAM + 96GB/sec memory bandwidth, it's a good comparable for a Switch 2. 

What's so bad about a Final Fantasy game that looks like this? This looks better than what they're making now (this is running on high and then medium settings on a 2050 and it looks better than any FF game on any preset even low): 
Now whether or not Square-Enix can make a 35-45+ hour game with that level of visuals with tons of different environments without the budget spiralling over $200+ million ... I would have my doubts. But technically this should be doable even on a Switch 2. You're going to run out of budget before you run out of technical capability. 
Last edited by Soundwave - on 27 May 2024

Graphics won't matter all that much anymore, and many developers will scale back on raw fidelity in favor of reduced dev costs/time and higher profitability. Switch 2 will be more than fine handling most AAA games, including a surprising number of PS6 games.

Engine tools currently aren't maturing enough to make pushing for the highest fidelity the best option for large scale games. Diminishing returns is another discouraging factor.

CPU heavy games could be a concern though, and may result in several late ports. Technologies like Nanite and path tracing will also be a problem for the Switch 2 if the PS6/2027 midrange PC's can handle them, and if games are designed around them. I just don't know how expensive these technologies are, for all I know they might reduce dev costs rather than increase them.

I have the physical copy of ff7 remake part 1 I enjoyed it but way to much filler and honestly glad square fired western staff make final fantasy for japan and have it turned based no fluff and u will get what they want from fans I rather have a 100 percent faithful remake of ff9 my personal fav and lod remake then more ff7

APerfectCircle said:

I have the physical copy of ff7 remake part 1 I enjoyed it but way to much filler and honestly glad square fired western staff make final fantasy for japan and have it turned based no fluff and u will get what they want from fans I rather have a 100 percent faithful remake of ff9 my personal fav and lod remake then more ff7

100%.  Square is losing fans with filler junk.  Herding cats isn't fun.  Nor is tossing boxes on targets for 45 minutes.  

And it just isn't a Square problem, but a wider problem.  Games have way to much filler junk.

Developers should focus on steamline to save costs.  RE series is excellent and isn't filled with nonsense.  Same with 90$ of Nintendo's games, which are selling well.

10 hours are awesome is better than 40 hours half od which is meh.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Kyuu said:

Graphics won't matter all that much anymore, and many developers will scale back on raw fidelity in favor of reduced dev costs/time and higher profitability. Switch 2 will be more than fine handling most AAA games, including a surprising number of PS6 games.

Engine tools currently aren't maturing enough to make pushing for the highest fidelity the best option for large scale games. Diminishing returns is another discouraging factor.

CPU heavy games could be a concern though, and may result in several late ports. Technologies like Nanite and path tracing will also be a problem for the Switch 2 if the PS6/2027 midrange PC's can handle them, and if games are designed around them. I just don't know how expensive these technologies are, for all I know they might reduce dev costs rather than increase them.

I do think Nintendo will probably be forced to release an actual Switch 2 Pro this time around. With no COVID surge around year 3, they probably will be forced to play that card.