By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

A system still selling decently doesn't necessarily mean there's not huge anticipation for the next one. PS home consoles mostly sold well towards their final year but their successors were still majorly anticipated.

Playstation is kinda different the fans always were lined for the next console cause of graphics horse power improvements, with Nintendo it's usually more hit and miss. 

Switch has built a very different and soon larger base than any prior Nintendo system. The hunger for what comes next is enormous. 

You only have to look at how much internet traffic there was when Nintendo casually tweeted that it would be revealed this FY; they gave no concrete info, no name, no date, no details at all, yet it set the web on fire.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Playstation is kinda different the fans always were lined for the next console cause of graphics horse power improvements, with Nintendo it's usually more hit and miss. 

Switch has built a very different and soon larger base than any prior Nintendo system. The hunger for what comes next is enormous. 

You only have to look at how much internet traffic there was when Nintendo casually tweeted that it would be revealed this FY; they gave no concrete info, no name, no date, no details at all, yet it set the web on fire.

I only use youtube and haven't seen in any high count in views confirming switch 2. Of course we'll have to wait for the reveal trailer to get a good sense of the hype.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I only use youtube and haven't seen in any high count in views confirming switch 2. Of course we'll have to wait for the reveal trailer to get a good sense of the hype.

They didn't post a Youtube video of it, they just mentioned the FY in a tweet with no details; it got over 370k likes and millions and millions of views.

I guess we'll just have to revisit this when the reveal video drops.

I gotta say, Zeldaring has truly done a splendid job at trolling us lmao.

RedKingXIII said:

This thread is insane. A few thoughts.

1. I think Final Fantasy could sell well on PC; it's just that Square always treated the platform terribly with late (and sometimes terrible) ports. Every single player Final Fantasy release didn't release on PC day and date with the Playstation versions.

2. FF7 Remake was exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year and it launched in a terrible state. It came to Steam a year later and it was still $70. That certainly didn't help sales. XV sold pretty well on Steam, at least for a 2 year late port. (It's 1-2m according to SteamSpy, close to the Xbox One version).

3. I don't think FF17 is coming to the Switch 2, but it's probably going full multiplatform and it will be coming to Xbox and PC day one. 7 Remake/Rebirth, 14 and probably 16 are the ones I think will be released on the Switch 2, but they won't light the world on fire considering they're all late ports.

4. GTA 6 is not going to kill the Switch 2 hype, that's ridiculous. The two can coexist together and be successful.

I'm assuming 7 remake hit Epic a year after ps4?  So Steam got the game 2 years after ps4?  

Assuming I understand that would definitely explain why it didn't sell great.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

That doesn't explain why all the other games didn't get ported. Just like a lot of Japanese devs find Xbox to be unpalatable for profit for their games, a lot of western devs found the Switch to be unpalatable.

If it was easy and inexpensive then the Switch would have just as strong 3rd party support as PS or PC gets, especially with the massive install base taken into account.

Easy and inexpensive are relative; it's easy and cheap enough that literally hundreds of PS4 games have been ported to Switch.

There are bottlenecks in production though; the main studios hands may be full already making the PS/Xbox/PC versions, so Switch ports are typically handled by specialized porting devs like Panic Button or Saber, and there's a limited number of those with a limited amount of manpower.

You're missing the point though; porting a finished game, even across a power gap like PS4 to Switch or PS5 to where the Switch successor is estimated to be, is vastly cheaper than making a game in the first place. If a game needed millions to break even on its own, a port may only need a few hundred k.

100s of games have been ported, but 100s of games haven't made it yet. Take the top games from 2023 (according to a random media site), excluding 1st party.

For a company like SE that is taking forever to port to even PC, I think a few 100k is the low point. For my interpretation, this is the level of sales needed to port from PS5.

Xbox Series X- 200k

Xbox Series X/S- 400k

PC- 400k

Switch- 600k+

Basically I think a Switch port needs to sell at least 3 times an Xbox Series X port, or at least 150% a PC port.

zeldaring said:
RedKingXIII said:

This thread is insane. A few thoughts.

1. I think Final Fantasy could sell well on PC; it's just that Square always treated the platform terribly with late (and sometimes terrible) ports. Every single player Final Fantasy release didn't release on PC day and date with the Playstation versions.

2. FF7 Remake was exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year and it launched in a terrible state. It came to Steam a year later and it was still $70. That certainly didn't help sales. XV sold pretty well on Steam, at least for a 2 year late port. (It's 1-2m according to SteamSpy, close to the Xbox One version).

3. I don't think FF17 is coming to the Switch 2, but it's probably going full multiplatform and it will be coming to Xbox and PC day one. 7 Remake/Rebirth, 14 and probably 16 are the ones I think will be released on the Switch 2, but they won't light the world on fire considering they're all late ports.

4. GTA 6 is not going to kill the Switch 2 hype, that's ridiculous. The two can coexist together and be successful.

Switch 2 will be successful but gta6 will be the biggest released game ever and yes it will take some hype away from Switch 2, they can of course coexist but of course it will take away some sales from Switch 2. We are in not In a free money period like covid boost people won't have 1k to buy both consoles. Switch 2 will differently be very interesting to see how it does in sales.

Let's say GTA6 and Tears of the Kingdom would have launched in the same month. I'm pretty sure TotK would not have sold a single copy less, nor would the TotK Switch version. There are audiences out there that don't care for GTA6 or prefer other franchises more.

Tober said:
zeldaring said:

Switch 2 will be successful but gta6 will be the biggest released game ever and yes it will take some hype away from Switch 2, they can of course coexist but of course it will take away some sales from Switch 2. We are in not In a free money period like covid boost people won't have 1k to buy both consoles. Switch 2 will differently be very interesting to see how it does in sales.

Let's say GTA6 and Tears of the Kingdom would have launched in the same month. I'm pretty sure TotK would not have sold a single copy less, nor would the TotK Switch version. There are audiences out there that don't care for GTA6 or prefer other franchises more.

I tend to agree.  Not sure the competition directly impacts sales of Nintendo 1st party sales.  Just different target audience.

I do agree with ZeldaRing that GTA6 could push some hardware.  I think GTA6 will shatter records.

And I still think Steam needs to be a focus for Square.  Steam is growing and has a massive user base.  It makes no sense to ignore them.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Tober said:
zeldaring said:

Tons of gamers are casuals that buy games based on hype, when everyone is talking about something it makes you wanna join the party and looking at the reveal trailer views this will be far aways the most anticipated game of all time. so yes it would have effected TOTK sales but more importantly with switch 2 it could slow it down a bit when the biggest game ever is not on your console. 

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Easy and inexpensive are relative; it's easy and cheap enough that literally hundreds of PS4 games have been ported to Switch.

There are bottlenecks in production though; the main studios hands may be full already making the PS/Xbox/PC versions, so Switch ports are typically handled by specialized porting devs like Panic Button or Saber, and there's a limited number of those with a limited amount of manpower.

You're missing the point though; porting a finished game, even across a power gap like PS4 to Switch or PS5 to where the Switch successor is estimated to be, is vastly cheaper than making a game in the first place. If a game needed millions to break even on its own, a port may only need a few hundred k.

100s of games have been ported, but 100s of games haven't made it yet. Take the top games from 2023 (according to a random media site), excluding 1st party.

For a company like SE that is taking forever to port to even PC, I think a few 100k is the low point. For my interpretation, this is the level of sales needed to port from PS5.

Xbox Series X- 200k

Xbox Series X/S- 400k

PC- 400k

Switch- 600k+

Basically I think a Switch port needs to sell at least 3 times an Xbox Series X port, or at least 150% a PC port.

The ones that didn't make it don't change the fact that hundreds did. There simply wouldn't be so many Switch ports if it wasn't viable, period.

Nobody said it was cheaper than an Xbox or PC port, the point is it's cheaper than making a whole new game from scratch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 May 2024