By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

curl-6 said:

I certainly hope MH Wilds comes to Switch 2, and frankly it would be a huge fail on Capcom's part if it doesn't, they'd be leaving millions of extra sales on the table for no good reason.

Graphically it's not even a big leap over World on PS4/XBO, and while the scope is clearly increased, it really doesn't look like it couldn't run on a Switch successor.

It will hit the S2.  Scalable engines have existed for over a decade.  RE4 runs a gtx 1050 ti all the way to a rtx 4090.  Only think that changes are the settings, which there are over a dozen parameters (e.g., way more than just resolution).  So everyone wins.  Weak hardware can run RE4 while high end gpus make the same game look stunning.  

Depends on the details.  RT, lighting, fps, particles and volumetric take a ton of power, especially RT.  Power isn't linear, some settings will crush weaker hardware while other settings don't require much.  

Games being scalable and multiplatform means we all win, and this is wholly expected.  PC has been doing this for 20 years.  Square was absurdly behind and are now just catching up.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

I certainly hope MH Wilds comes to Switch 2, and frankly it would be a huge fail on Capcom's part if it doesn't, they'd be leaving millions of extra sales on the table for no good reason.

Graphically it's not even a big leap over World on PS4/XBO, and while the scope is clearly increased, it really doesn't look like it couldn't run on a Switch successor.

It will hit the S2.  Scalable engines have existed for over a decade.  RE4 runs a gtx 1050 ti all the way to a rtx 4090.  Only think that changes are the settings, which there are over a dozen parameters (e.g., way more than just resolution).  So everyone wins.  Weak hardware can run RE4 while high end gpus make the same game look stunning.  

Depends on the details.  RT, lighting, fps, particles and volumetric take a ton of power, especially RT.  Power isn't linear, some settings will crush weaker hardware while other settings don't require much.  

Games being scalable and multiplatform means we all win, and this is wholly expected.  PC has been doing this for 20 years.  Square was absurdly behind and are now just catching up.  

Dragon dogma 2  doesn't run on steam deck that game is too cpu heavy.

I find it funny that some people already decided that MH Wilds looks like shit based on a short and early teaser.

Kyuu said:

I find it funny that some people already decided that MH Wilds looks like shit based on a short and early teaser.

Agreed.  And frankly I disagree with them.  The one battle has some impressive lighting, particle and volumetric effects.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Apologies, but you must be mistaken.  We've been assured Japanese developers don't push fidelity.  Please correct your post to the pre-assigned talking points.  

Edit

Joking aside you aren't kidding.  RE4 recommended gpu was 1070, DD2 is 2080.  That is a sizeable jump, the 2080 is about 60% more powerful.  The minimum for DD2 is a 1070, which is the recommended for RE4.  I bet RE9 is going to be a heck of a jump in fidelity.  So much for Japanese developers not pushing graphics.  Clearly that isn't the case.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Apologies, but you must be mistaken.  We've been assured Japanese developers don't push fidelity.  Please correct your post to the pre-assigned talking points.  

Edit

Joking aside you aren't kidding.  RE4 recommended gpu was 1070, DD2 is 2080.  That is a sizeable jump, the 2080 is about 60% more powerful.  The minimum for DD2 is a 1070, which is the recommended for RE4.  I bet RE9 is going to be a heck of a jump in fidelity.  So much for Japanese developers not pushing graphics.  Clearly that isn't the case.  

Yeah graphics are obviously gonna keep improving. Even if the Switch 2 slows things down for Japanese developers improvement will still happen and games from there a decade from now are gonna look a lot better than the best looking Japanese games of today thanks to more advanced tools and a big improvement in lighting from ray tracing becoming increasingly standard. This forest looks insane today but by the 2030's it's not gonna be anything special and there will be games with even more realistic looking forests.

Norion said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

Yeah graphics are obviously gonna keep improving. Even if the Switch 2 slows things down for Japanese developers improvement will still happen and games from there a decade from now are gonna look a lot better than the best looking Japanese games of today thanks to more advanced tools and a big improvement in lighting from ray tracing becoming increasingly standard. This forest looks insane today but by the 2030's it's not gonna be anything special and there will be games with even more realistic looking forests.

That is absolutely stunning.  There are still huge improvements to fidelity to be had.  I think the 5000 series are going to be something else.  The 5090 is suppose to be 50% better than the 4090.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I don't think Nintendo really cares about Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter Wilds is the big one they would want and looking at that trailer it looks to me like they'll get it.

If you're Nintendo the main IP you want that the Switch 1 didn't get are

Call of Duty (got it, contractually guaranteed, biggest annual IP in the West)
Madden NFL (big IP in the West, annual release ... probably I think this will happen, Madden is still released on PS4)
Final Fantasy mainline (looks like they are getting it, thank FF16 and FF7 Rebirth for that)
Monster Hunter mainline (looks like MH Wilds is a very mediocre graphics upgrade on PS4's World, good chance this is a done deal)
Grand Theft Auto (this one is tougher, VI looks a step beyond many PS5 games, but they are still making a XBox Series S version so perhaps the engine scales big)
Street Fighter mainline (VI looks like a lock for Switch 2, runs on PS4 and game's director has said he wants it on Switch, has history with Nintendo platforms).
Kingdom Hearts (if FF is coming, this probably is too)

GTA is the only one they're out on, and honestly I think Nintendo is kinda OK with not having that, the violent nature of the series brings some level of bad press even if the game is mega popular. The Switch 1 was able to become the biggest selling system ever (well on track to be) without needing GTAV. Would you like to have it, sure, but if they can add Monster Hunter mainline, Final Fantasy mainline, Persona (basically confirmed), Call of Duty, and Madden NFL over what the Switch 1 was already getting ... I think you're pretty happy with that if you're Nintendo. FC Soccer, NBA 2K (huge IP) are already on the current Switch so that should just continue. Fortnite and Minecraft obviously are there too.

Then you have Microsoft probably going multiplatform more and more as this gen goes on, so wouldn't be too suprised to see even Halo and Forza eventually. Sea of Theives and HiFi Rush should be Switch 2 launch window titles.

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

That is absolutely stunning.  There are still huge improvements to fidelity to be had.  I think the 5000 series are going to be something else.  The 5090 is suppose to be 50% better than the 4090.  

Even with a 4090 the fps drops into the 50's at times so the PS6 and next Xbox will unlock that level of fidelity for the mainstream which I am looking forward to. I certainly hope the 5000 series is good since next year is when I'll finally upgrade my aging rig.

Norion said:
Chrkeller said:

Even with a 4090 the fps drops into the 50's at times so the PS6 and next Xbox will unlock that level of fidelity for the mainstream which I am looking forward to. I certainly hope the 5000 series is good since next year is when I'll finally upgrade my aging rig.

Yea I think huge graphical jumps are gonna start taking 2 generations instead one. Which why I feel switch 2 should have released end of 2023. When ps6 and new xbox come out its gonna be ancient.