By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

Not surprised I know a couple of guys who are waiting for the whole trilogy to be made before they buy parts 2&3. I can see why, less investment if part 2 or 3 are bad.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Around the Network

This makes me very sad, as FF7R is a masterpiece. Unfortunately FF hasn't been able to grow since FFXII. An aging fanbase and youth with different gaming preferences is making it harder-and-harder for SE to make a hit. Worrying for how they're going to handle future FF installments...

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Sad not always quality is rewarded

A shame really, I'm about 30 hours in at the moment, and judging by what I've seen so far, it's very likely going to end up as my GotY. Of course, there's still time for my opinion to change, but at this point I'd say it's a fairly noticeable improvement on the first part, and I loved that one as well. Easily one of the best games I've played in recent years.

Comparing launch prices, Rebirth is around 50% more expensive than Remake was in my country (£70 vs £45/£50)

Give it a couple of months and you can pick this up pre-owned for about £30. The strat for many people is to wait for a discount.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Random_Matt said:

PS4 had over a 100m install base, pointless thread.

Software sales don't scale linearly with install base.

Spiderman 2 sold similarly to Spiderman 2018 on a much smaller install base.

Is that including Spider-man 2 bundles?

I feel like the key difference is the unknown surprise factor.  We all know roughly how the FF7 storyline goes and this series was just simply stretched into 3 games so it doesn't feel as enticing to pick up right away anymore. Whereas gamers are way more excited about a sequel to a game they really enjoyed not knowing anything about what the sequel is about. 

Overall it's unfortunate, but lets hope Square realizes not to do this again if they want to remake another FF game in the future.  I'd love a FF8 and FF9 remake, but best not to stretch out the story into 3 discs.

Square should really evaluate whether they should even make part 3

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Iveyboi said:

This makes me very sad, as FF7R is a masterpiece. Unfortunately FF hasn't been able to grow since FFXII. An aging fanbase and youth with different gaming preferences is making it harder-and-harder for SE to make a hit. Worrying for how they're going to handle future FF installments...

SE should in my opinion evaluate how much longer the IP is economically viable. It's almost impossible for FF to pull a God of War

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Iveyboi said:

SE should in my opinion evaluate how much longer the IP is economically viable. It's almost impossible for FF to pull a God of War

More like Sony is going to have to evaluate if giving SE 100 million dollars and additional first party help to create the games is worth it.

Qwark said:

Square should really evaluate whether they should even make part 3

They have to finish it. They need to reevaluate what the focus should be though. Rebirth is one the most overcooked games I have ever played. A lot of fat trimming is in order. FF16 and Rebirth in a blender would be a good start. 

Qwark said:
Iveyboi said:

I also agree with this. Final Fantasy was called a "Boomer franchise" by a user who's name I forgot. Those Boomers are slowing leaving the franchise and no replacements are coming in. Dragon's Dogma outsold Final Fantasy? That has to be eye turning for SE.