By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hellblade II is 30fps on Xbox Series consoles

Of course 30fps is fine. 30 fps is just going to become more and more common as this gen goes on and we start getting games that actually look kinda next gen. Are people here going to be this annoyed when gta 6 is inevitably an inconsistent 30fps.

Around the Network

Wow I guess that they have to reduce the FPS to have the game run well.

BiON!@ 

HoloDust said:
JRPGfan said:

I think this has more traction because of the way the generation started, and how xbox was marketed.

There was the "it eats monsters for breakfast" "its 30% faster than the PS5, games will look and run noticeably better than on playstation" ect ect.
Ontop of that, there was the "60fps only mantra" as a reason not to get a PS5.  You have xbox fans, and xbox influencers backing all that 4k60 stuff.
(even a few offical xbox people, were saying this stuff)

Then it turns out, 3years into the generation, that playstation 1st party for the most part, have various modes of play, usually a "performance mode" and a Graphics one, and thus most of their first party games actually have 60fps modes to play them in.

Meanwhile the reverse has been true for xbox.  Like 1 out of 10 or something had 60fps at launch.

It all just blows up... when it really shouldn't even be a issue.
Does it matter if Hellblade 2, is shorter than the first game is?
Does it matter if its 1080p and 30fps ?

Not really... its still going to be a fantastic looking game, esp the cgi parts (cutscenes), before the gameplay parts.
Its a visually good looking game.

The first game was 30fps too right? I mean on the xbox one's.
No one was complaining back then.

I thought it was rather silly that anyone thought those consoles would be 4K, let alone 4K60fps. I mean, GPU progress was in the gutter for years and pixel jump from HD to 4K is bigger than any console generation so far, so it was kinda funny to see anyone expecting those consoles to pull that off.

Devs are doing exactly the same thing they've been doing consistently for several generations - dumping frame rate and resolution for more visual bling - give them console with equivalent of 4x 4090 inside and they will do the same thing if they feel like visuals are more important than fps/resolution.

I will always go back to the argument I made over 10+ years ago on this very forum when people thought the Xbox One and Playstation 4 were going to be 100% 1080P/60fps consoles.

And that is... If the PC ain't doing it. Consoles aren't doing it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

I thought it was rather silly that anyone thought those consoles would be 4K, let alone 4K60fps. I mean, GPU progress was in the gutter for years and pixel jump from HD to 4K is bigger than any console generation so far, so it was kinda funny to see anyone expecting those consoles to pull that off.

Devs are doing exactly the same thing they've been doing consistently for several generations - dumping frame rate and resolution for more visual bling - give them console with equivalent of 4x 4090 inside and they will do the same thing if they feel like visuals are more important than fps/resolution.

I will always go back to the argument I made over 10+ years ago on this very forum when people thought the Xbox One and Playstation 4 were going to be 100% 1080P/60fps consoles.

Not always true.  PC doesn't change for online play but all three consoles are doing it.   😉 

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

Not always true.  PC doesn't change for online play but all three consoles are doing it.   ðŸ˜‰ 

You can pay for online. Gamepass is on PC and there are other subscription services.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Theoretically a platform holder like Microsoft could make it mandatory that all games on their platform be 4K or 60fps, but this would present several problems.

For example, what happens if a dev realizes late in development that they can't hit their target? Would the game have to be cancelled for Xbox, but still release elsewhere?
Or what if a dev wants to make a game that current hardware can't handle at 4K, or 60fps? They'd have to choose between compromising their vision and skipping Xbox.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 April 2024

curl-6 said:

Theoretically a platform holder like Microsoft could make it mandatory that all games on their platform be 4K or 60fps, but this would present several problems.

For example, what happens if a dev realizes late in development that they can't hit their target? Would the game have to be cancelled for Xbox, but still release elsewhere?
Or what if a dev wants to make a game that current hardware can't handle at 4K, or 60fps? They'd have to choose between compromising their vision and skipping Xbox.

Beyond the obvious practical limitation MS would also flat out loose marketing power with this. 

Hellblade 2's 30fps original "in-engine" tech demo is how they announced and sold the power of the series X. It's honestly one of the reason why so many eyes are on the game to begin with.

Last gen Naughty initially made a commitment for Uncharted 4 to be 60fps based on their experience of TLOU Remastered, but then they went back on that goal because they couldn't achieve the visual fidelity they wanted. Uncharted 4 at 30fps went on to sell approx 20m units and for sure its main selling point was the shear amount of spectacle. Plenty of games market themselves on visual fidelity, and limiting their ambitions there would not make any console an easier sell to the generic consumer (same kind who rushes out to buy every COD, Fifa, Pokemon etc). For better and for worse they are not using digital foundary to determine their purchase lol. Even if we look at the PC space, the majority of steam gamers still play at 1080p. So I think any mandate in terms of res/60fps would be unnecessary restrictions/costs on developers.

Personally I care primarily about stability and quality of experience. The only game in recent memory that I actually found frustrations with a stable 30fps was actually Kirby. Still enjoying it but the 30fps lacks the buttery smoothness a Nintendo platformer of that nature should have. Meanwhile Pikmin 4 feels exactly right to me, so I get that it varies very much by person and by game.

Last edited by Otter - on 22 April 2024