By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hellblade II is 30fps on Xbox Series consoles

Conina said:
EpicRandy said:

Using an extreme to discredit a logic only works when such use is logic itself. 30 fps is enough to make a usable and enjoyable experience while 15 fps is simply not. So no, supporting devs ability too reasonably choose their focus does not mean supporting devs ability to do so unreasonably.

15 fps is unreasonable?

I played a lot of N64 games with 16.667 fps (unfortunately I only had access to PAL versions), many PSP games with 20 fps, and a lot of point&click adventures with 15 fps and less.

Honestly 20 fps is so bad, thank lord on modern consoles developers don't go below 30 anymore lol

Around the Network
Conina said:
EpicRandy said:

Using an extreme to discredit a logic only works when such use is logic itself. 30 fps is enough to make a usable and enjoyable experience while 15 fps is simply not. So no, supporting devs ability too reasonably choose their focus does not mean supporting devs ability to do so unreasonably.

15 fps is unreasonable?

I played a lot of N64 games with 16.667 fps (unfortunately I only had access to PAL versions), many PSP games with 20 fps, and a lot of point&click adventures with 15 fps and less.

Yes, 15 fps is unreasonable for today's standard while 30 fps is still a well-used standard. A lot of n64 games were 240p would you find this reasonable today?

HoloDust said:
Conina said:

No matter how powerful your hardware is, you can always create more detailed visuals at 15fps than 30fps. So if the developer wants to prioritize detail for the sake of immersion, you would be happy?

How about 16.67 fps? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, LoZ: OoT PAL...

Was reasonable nearly 30 years ago, it would not today. Even in 2011 the OoT 3d remake targeted 30 fps.

EpicRandy said:
HoloDust said:

How about 16.67 fps? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, LoZ: OoT PAL...

Was reasonable nearly 30 years ago, it would not today. Even in 2011 the OoT 3d remake targeted 30 fps.

I was just jesting - 30fps is really a minimum that still doesn't bothers me in many games (Zelda included) if I play with a gamepad.

EpicRandy said:

Yes, 15 fps is unreasonable for today's standard while 30 fps is still a well-used standard. A lot of n64 games were 240p would you find this reasonable today?

Resolution went from 0,061 MegaPixel (256 x 224) to 0,92 MegaPixel (1280 x 720) or 2 MegaPixel (1920 x 1080) as new minimal standard... a 15x - 30x increase is totally okay for you.

But if someone wants a tiny increase in fps (f.e. 40 fps) after decades of 30 fps as minimal standard (and only a 2x increase from 20 fps), you cry for "more detailed visuals" instead.

I really can't understand why the eyecandy is so much more important to you than smoother gameplay.

Around the Network
Conina said:
EpicRandy said:

Resolution went from 0,061 MegaPixel (256 x 224) to 0,92 MegaPixel (1280 x 720) or 2 MegaPixel (1920 x 1080) as new minimal standard... a 15x - 30x increase is totally okay for you.

But if someone wants a tiny increase in fps (f.e. 40 fps) after decades of 30 fps as minimal standard (and only a 2x increase from 20 fps), you cry for "more detailed visuals" instead.

I really can't understand why the eyecandy is so much more important to you than smoother gameplay.

I'm playing TloU2 on PS5 right now, and 60 fps gameplay at 1440p feels so good, while only being slightly less sharp than 4K 30 fps mode.

Conina said:
EpicRandy said:

That's not the argument here, I never said wanting 40 or even 60 fps is unreasonable. 

My argument is that targeting 30 fps is also not unreasonable. Your prior argument tried to show an adequation in someone's view that supporting devs' choice to go 30 for the sake of graphics must also include the support of a 15 fps target for the same reason. That's simply not the case and a wrong use of an extreme to try to prove a point which I highlighted by making an even more obvious example of a bad use of an extreme.

Eyecandy is not more important than smoother gameplay or vice versa. 

You cry for "more detailed visual"
yeah right -_- literally me earlier in the thread : "The issue is the industry, generally speaking, is hellbent on using every once of available performance for graphics fidelity. Give them more power and it'll be wasted on eye candies which are long past the point of diminishing returns."

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 17 April 2024

Targeting 30 fps today is unreasonable. Targeting the same fps for 20+ years is laughable.

Chrkeller said:

Targeting 30 fps today is unreasonable. Targeting the same fps for 20+ years is laughable.

You may find it personally unreasonable but the industry in general has not. If it was the case you would not have most titles proposing between both 30fps and 60fps. Even most title on PC offers you the ability to cap FPS at 30. 

15 FPS - 20 fps on the other hand I do not recall seeing those options for like 15+ years so that can be viewed as that the industry now finds unreasonable. 

Conina said:

I haven't seen anybody here "crying for more detailed visuals".

All I said was that devs should be free to choose how they allocate system resources in order to fulfil their artistic vision.

If it's anything like the first game, Hellblade II will be a relatively slow moving affair where the primary focus is on creating a rich and immersive world. For this kind of experience, it makes sense that Ninja Theory want to prioritise detail and believability.