By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 Rebirth trailing Behind Remake Launch Numbers!

G2ThaUNiT said:

Rebirth trailing behind XVI is really the most surprising statistic considering the PS5 has sold an additional 1 million units since XVI's release. It could be fans of the series don't like separating a game into 3 parts like FFXIII, or the fact that the PS5 is so expensive in Japan, or FF in general just doesn't have the same pull as it once did. 

I wouldn't lean into "the game may have sold more digitally" either because Japan is still a primarily physical market and I doubt digital sales increased by THAT much just 9 months after XVI's release. 

Still, I'm more interested in worldwide sales. We may get sales figures from SE later today. 

Around the Network

Even with a 50% digital ratio it's still a considerable decline compared to XV and Remake. Yikes.

I think it’s the transition to more action-based combat. Most of the time, it cheapens the RPG experience, IMO—the only exceptions that come to mind are Mystic Quest (the GB game rather than the SNES one), Secret of Mana, Terranigma, and Witcher 3 (and Illusion of Time, if you consider that an RPG, though mechanically its an Action Adventure).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I think it’s the transition to more action-based combat. Most of the time, it cheapens the RPG experience, IMO—the only exceptions that come to mind are Mystic Quest (the GB game rather than the SNES one), Secret of Mana, Terranigma, and Witcher 3 (and Illusion of Time, if you consider that an RPG, though mechanically its an Action Adventure).

I feel like it cheapens it when it's done poorly, but in most cases, it seems to be when the story is poorly written and character dialogue is poorly delivered (gamers seem to pay more attention to gameplay type rather than actual believable writing and dialogue delivery, and tbf, not picking on you, but you focused on real time combat, instead of the latter two points, which are just as important to an RPG, if not more so).

I've played many a game that's been real time combat and having it turn out fine, it helps when you make the combat not so tedious/super simplistic that it'd lose it's lustre. I am not of the core belief that a good RPG has to be turn based till the end of time, that is more of a subjective and personal preference. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Sogreblute said:
Hiku said:

2 of those 3 years you couldn't get a PS5, and had to win a lotttery just to have a chance to get one. And now the economy has changed quite a bit.
Saying everyone that wants a game would have it is nice in theory, but we see time and again how install base does affect sales.

PS4 was at around 9 Million units in Japan when Remake came out.
PS5 is at 5 Million. Close to half.

I would absolutely pick up this game, except I haven't gotten a PS5 yet. One or two games is not enough for me to get a new console these days when 95% of the games are still cross gen, and they're releasing new models of the system by the time it has enough games to warrant the purchase.

I'm currently playing Unicorn Overlord, Persona 3 Reload, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and about to start the new Yakuza and Tekken 8.
I don't need a 6th game right at this moment when I also have to buy a console for it.

They mentioned the 29th of April as the potential cut off date for the console exclusivity, so if it goes to Steam then, I would get it there and wait for a PS5 Pro.

You listing all those games shows FF7 Rebirth is getting overshadowed, and that shows the franchise is declining in popularity in Japan (has been for over a decade but this is it's lowest). Back then game companies had to watch out for FF because of how huge it was. FF used to sell on par with Dragon Quest, now it's selling closer to what a Persona or Like a Dragon game does. That's why I said install base doesn't matter at this point in time since we're 3+ years into the PS5 life. If FF was still a juggernaut PS5's would be flying off the shelves these past few weeks in anticipation, but that isn't the case. FF just isn't that big in Japan anymore. Doesn't help FF7 Remake was very decisive, so they're not going to get all those people who bought FF7 Remake to buy this game.

I mentioned that I would have picked up Rebirth if I had a PS5. So me listing those games indicates that I'm willing to get the games I'm interested in at launch, if I can play them. Not that they're overshadowing one I can't play. If it worked on PS4 I would have had it as well.
No one was arguing that FF is the juggernaut it used to be in Japan. It's not. But we're comparing the circumstances surrounding Rebirth's launch to Remake.
The "3+ years" you're citing are not even the equivalent of 3 years of PS4's lifespan, because you essentially couldn't get a PS5 for years. And PS4 had been on the Jp market for 6+ years when Remake launched. The economy is in the dumps, while games also cost $70 now instead of $60.

If the launch circumstances were similar, I wouldn't expect anything like a 63% dropoff in sales.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 March 2024

Around the Network
The Fury said:

Maybe people are just tired of the old stale gameplay of FF. Action games aren't exactly unique and are, in honesty, a bit dated. Maybe they should try something new. FF is known for constantly changing everything about it, so it's about time it became a first person shooter or something real risky, like a turn based RPG... nah, that's too out there.

Your post about trying something new has got me thinking, so I have come up with a battle system that's built around activity and time, bu to be a success it desperately needs a name that can shortened to 3 letters, the best I can come up with is AT so any ideas for the third letter?

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 March 2024

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Sogreblute said:
V-r0cK said:

How many PS4 sales in Japan by 2020, and how many PS5 sales in Japan currently?

I feel like that install base is irrelevant here. We are 3+ years into the PS5 life and everyone knew FF16 and FF7 Rebirth were PS5 only. Anyone who is a FF fan would have bought a PS5 by now to play those games.

Install base is never irrelevant. 

1. PS5s are a lot more expensive. 

2. Current PS5 sales in Japan don't reflect the number of ppl who actually have a PS5 in the country (due to the excessive importing that took place in the first few years) - the install base is a lot lower than hardware sales suggest. 

3. Contrary to what you said, being an FF fan doesn't mean you've already bought a PS5 to play these games. (due to a variety of factors, including console and software price). 

I think this is to be expected. It's a sequel of a game that introduced many key changes in both gameplay and story from the original work it's based on. Many people liked the changes, but some definetely didn't. There are people that purchased Remake that won't be purchasing Rebirth.

There's also the fact that there were a lot more PS4 consoles in 2020 than PS5s in 2024.

Also also, PS games are more expensive now.

Aaaaand this first part of the year it's being a JRPG overload. I know many people that are still playing Persona 3 or Like a Dragon Infinite and are looking forward to Unicorn Overlord and Dragon's Dogma II, which are around the corner. Most people don't have time or money to play all of these, so they have to choose or leave some for later.

Mar1217 said:

Welp I am a fan of FF ... 1 through 10 that is 🤭

Since 13, which I thought was okay just poor for an FF game (released in 2009), I haven't purchased any new entries in the FF series... then we've technically only had 2, then third being a spin off as far as I'm concerned. This is literally because, while good games, to me these new FFs aren't appealing to me and feel that SquEnix don't me either, as a fan of the older style of gameplay. From what FF7R had and this entry has, all I can see is random battles has been swapped for mindless busywork or minigames (because nothing says needed gameplay like hoovering up mako gas instead of having a fight).

Yet since at least the PS4 and PS5 era, I've bought a DS and FF3 remake, FF8Remaster and FF12 HD, and played in that time FF3, 7, 8, 9 10 and 12, some multiple times.

Chazore said:

I feel like it cheapens it when it's done poorly, but in most cases, it seems to be when the story is poorly written and character dialogue is poorly delivered (gamers seem to pay more attention to gameplay type rather than actual believable writing and dialogue delivery, and tbf, not picking on you, but you focused on real time combat, instead of the latter two points, which are just as important to an RPG, if not more so).

I've played many a game that's been real time combat and having it turn out fine, it helps when you make the combat not so tedious/super simplistic that it'd lose it's lustre. I am not of the core belief that a good RPG has to be turn based till the end of time, that is more of a subjective and personal preference. 

Story and delivery can affect things, a good story and well delivered dialogue can sure up a games lack in gameplay department. A few points with how this has affected me. I just finished Like A Dragon, it's battle system was to be honest, a little simple but the game was made up for in his story, and voice acting. Yakuza devs know how to get a lot from that side of things. Meanwhile, years ago I played Star Ocean 4 and stopped some way in as sound and audio long with terrible voice acting legit just put me off playing and SO5 and 6 were no better but they were made at a budget.

Now in context of FF7R, the story already had been done, was a great story and many going into FF7Rs might have, well expected the same. Yet with it being split parts and the fact the first was only the first few hours of FF7 which was basically just the intro to the rest of the story, they had to extend it, they added filler. FF7R has, in my view, utter nonsense that in essence only made relevant sense if you had played FF7 the first time around but it wasn't FF7. The gameplay was good, not FF enough for me but the story was just appalling compared to the first games first 4 hours.

Being turn based isn't what makes a good RPG, agreed, I've played many RPGs that are both or something between but what works for Kingdom Hearts might not work for Final Fantasy which might not work for Yakuza. Of course, the fact that KH and old FFs don't have the simple issue of having to wail on an a basic enemy for 5 minutes just to get it into 'stagger' state so you can deal meaningful damage, that is tedious.

mjk45 said:

Your post about trying something new has got me thinking, so I have come up with a battle system that's built around activity and time, bu to be a success it desperately needs a name that can shortened to 3 letters, the best I can come up with is AT so any ideas for the third letter?

ATC - Acting Turn Control.

Hmm, actually no, don't take that. When I make a game one day, I'm using that.

Last edited by The Fury - on 11 March 2024

Hmm, pie.

Let's not forget that not everyone that played final Fantasy 7 Remake on the PS4 currently owns a PS5. You aren't going to buy Rebirth if you haven't played Remake.