By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 Rebirth trailing Behind Remake Launch Numbers!

Remake in 2020 Japan sales were 700+k,

While Rebirth Japan is only 260+k,

Rebirth is also trailing behind XVI.

Even in the UK Rebirth is trailing behind Remake! 

What is going on?

Is the 1st quarter of the year just a dud time to buy games?

Rebirth in Holidays could've had better sales?

TWIN PACK and Digital Deluxe TWIN PACK (both digital bundles) have the same price as SOLO and Digital Deluxe so what is friggin going on really?

Around the Network

Rebirth trailing behind XVI is really the most surprising statistic considering the PS5 has sold an additional 1 million units since XVI's release. It could be fans of the series don't like separating a game into 3 parts like FFXIII, or the fact that the PS5 is so expensive in Japan, or FF in general just doesn't have the same pull as it once did. 

I wouldn't lean into "the game may have sold more digitally" either because Japan is still a primarily physical market and I doubt digital sales increased by THAT much just 9 months after XVI's release. 

Still, I'm more interested in worldwide sales. We may get sales figures from SE later today. 

We don't know the digital sales of Rebirth in UK yet, so they are probably pretty equal Al be it a little bit smaller than 7 remake. Which launched during COVID on a bigger installbase. As for Japan, they simply don't seem to like FF is new direction very much.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

How many PS4 sales in Japan by 2020, and how many PS5 sales in Japan currently?

V-r0cK said:

This is why XVI outselling Rebirth is concerning. XVI had a little more than 1 million consoles less in Japan than what Rebirth has currently, and yet XVI still outsold Rebirth. A title that is arguably less divisive than XVI. 

Still, that may just be Japan. Rebirth for all we know may have been substantially more popular in the West. 

Around the Network

Also something to consider for Japan digital sales. The overall physical stock that were sold for the game was around 60%-80% of the total available.

Games that are around the 80%-100% mark usually suffers from scarcity and have tendencies to drive digital sales even further.
This was the case for the release of Remake and XVI which their launch marked scarcity in physical copies.

Case in point, digital sales have a chance to be equal or even slightly lower than Remake in Japan.

Sure there's a case to be made about the Twin Pack, but this would mostly pertain for people who have basically not played the first game in first place too which I doubt is going to be the majority of those who initially buy into Rebirth.

Anyway, we haven't got any info on the real big gaming western market like the NA or most territories in Europe.

So far, the UK and Spain paints a status quo or slightly lowers in comparison to Remake.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

G2ThaUNiT said:
V-r0cK said:

This is why XVI outselling Rebirth is concerning. XVI had a little more than 1 million consoles less in Japan than what Rebirth has currently, and yet XVI still outsold Rebirth. A title that is arguably less divisive than XVI. 

Still, that may just be Japan. Rebirth for all we know may have been substantially more popular in the West. 

I guess maybe the PS5 owners in Japan are just more interested in a new FF game where its story is complete, rather than a middle portion of a remake?  Hard to say, but I see what you mean.  We'll just have to wait and see how the numbers fair worldwide.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Rebirth trailing behind XVI is really the most surprising statistic considering the PS5 has sold an additional 1 million units since XVI's release. It could be fans of the series don't like separating a game into 3 parts like FFXIII, or the fact that the PS5 is so expensive in Japan, or FF in general just doesn't have the same pull as it once did. 

I wouldn't lean into "the game may have sold more digitally" either because Japan is still a primarily physical market and I doubt digital sales increased by THAT much just 9 months after XVI's release. 

Still, I'm more interested in worldwide sales. We may get sales figures from SE later today. 

it seems that Japanese interest in jrpg has decreased a lot in the last 20 years, with the exception of pokemon and maybe dragon quest, which other rpg franchise sells a million at launch?? xenoblade and persona that are trending nowadays don't even come close to that

Rebirth and XVI are still the 2 biggest PS5 launches. I will reserve thoughts until we get a bigger picture, but I'm not going lie, I personally wish Rebirth released later. How did Yakuza 8 do? I didn't buy Yakuza 8(saving it for summer) because of how close it released to remake, could there be ppl who felt the opposite. 

Last edited by Bandorr - on 08 March 2024