By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did your gaming preference change overe the years?

It has changed a bit with the introduction of new genres, or rather with what I consider good games in the new genres.

Platformers is the first type of game I enjoyed with Super Mario Bros 3 taking the crown. Did not get into 3D platformers until Mario Galaxy. Enjoyed a bit of Crash Bandicot but Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Spyro, Jak and Dexter, Sonic adventure, Mario Sunshine and a few others I tried but did not enjoy.

In the late 90s and early 00s I played mostly PC games. Action RPG with Diablo holding the torch. RTS like Warcraft 2, Starcraft (peak), Settlers 2 and Warcraft 3. Slowly turned away from RTS and instead looked into turn based strategy with Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 (peak). Later when I got my own handheld GBA Advance Wars and Fire Emblem lead the way.

When me and my brothers bought a GameCube party games like Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash!! was what was up. Games multiple people could play on the sofa.

Had a one off with the open world games with Skyrim and have not enjoyed one game in the genre since then

Linear Adventure and Action adventure games grabbed me early with (most of) Zelda games. Scooped all DS adventure games like Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, Another Code and a few other lesser know titles. Played just about every adventure game on PS3 Heavy Rain, The uncharted Series, Resident Evil 4, The last of Us.

Now I mainly play auto battler on my phones, action adventures on my PS5 and board games and retro on my Mac.

Nes/Snes - Platformers
PC - RTS, Action RPG
GBA - Turn based strategy
GameCube - Party
DS - Adventure games
PS3 - Action adventure
PS5 - Action adventure

Around the Network

I would say 'kinda' but at the same time, not at all. I didn't use to like FPS, MW2 got me into that but at the same time it's because technology change and FPS genre got better and more accessible on consoles. I still love Tekken. I love party based RPGs, my favourite games and series of all time are things like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy.

More recently, I play(ed) a lot of competitive shooters more than I ever did as a kid or even 20s/early 30s. Overwatch and then Apex. I still play a lot of varied games mind you.

However, it's also sad where in a sense I feel I'm forced to change my gaming preference as things aren't being offered to me as much as they used to. We've had 3 great FF games in the last few years, not purchased any of them as they aren't being made for me anymore and one is meant to be a remake of one of, if not my, favourite games of all time. I've been waiting for a Dragon Age Inquisition for 10 years because EA decided twice to reboot development because GaaS came in and then went out.

So, I moved on, whether I wanted to or not. Played other things.

Hmm, pie.

In the past, my favorite games were turn-based wargames (Panzer general, Fantasy General, Battle Isle...) and tycoon games (Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Planer, Biing!, Mad TV/News, Airline Tycoon...). Nowadays I'm more into colony sims (Banished, Oxygen not Included, The Universim, Rise to Ruins...), though my love for those wargames is probably also the reason why I love grand strategy titles (Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Supreme Ruler...) so much.

What hasn't changed is that I like RPGs since the day I discovered Might & Magic II on an Apple ][ GS of a friend - but I tend to hate solo characters and always prefer having an adventuring party with me, and I want them to be stat-heavy and turn-based or at least real-time with pause, which narrows down the list quite considerably.

I guess the biggest change for me is going PC over consoles, outside Nintendo. Now that MS and Sony are wholly supporting PC I went all in. I'm loving it. Games like horizon at native 4k, max settings at 120 fps is amazing.

Since the middle of the PS4 gen, I've become more and more a retro gamer and less and less interested in playing new games. I still stay up on all the news as best I can, but rarely does a game come out these days that tugs at me like the feeling of say, popping in a physical copy of DKC and playing with friends on the CRT. I don't know if it's me, or the industry, but I just tend to get a far bigger kick out of retro than what's happening right now.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

*edit:
one thing that sets me apart from the others that replied in this thread, is that they often say they want short experiances.
I prefer longer ones, I want to fall in love with the world/characters and story and I want it to have time to foldout without it feeling rushed at all.
As long as you can easily save your game, and pick it up again when theres time, its length is of no issue.
Some games, like "I am Setsuna" I remember thinking, "this is too easy" "thats it? its over already?".  (I think I beat it in like 16hours or less)
It felt too short, after trying to learn the systems of the game ect, it was kinda dissapoint tbh.

I'm also a huge sucker for Path of Exile (a hack-n-slash looter). I like system depth in games, and this game just has it right for a hack-n-slash.
I've been playing it for years at this point, and can highly recammend. The story and systems have slight changes from season to season, and starting over with a new build is always good fun. Figouring out how to min-max and push limits is great in it.

About the length thingy..... I very much also prefer books, to be long running series.
I know if its continued onwards, for multiple books, there has to be a group of people that enjoy it enough to keep going at it.
(Basically bad sh*t doesn't last, so once a series has x amount of books in it, its a safe bet, its atleast decent)

I also read alot of light-novels, that sometimes have like 6000+ chapters and have run sometimes 10-20 years and the like.

Long staying experiences are great, as long as like you said, you can save anywhere and 'consume' the game in small amounts. Added up I spend 300 hours on TotK, but often not more than an hour at a time.

Games that have lots of complicated systems are not suited to this. I can't play 12 hour Civ campaigns over 12 days. It's not rewarding and it takes a lot of effort to keep track of and remember everything that I was doing everywhere. Long games are still great, but they must be rewarding for half hour play sessions and controls and systems need to be 'simple' enough to easily pick it up again after a week or longer.

Games where people say, it gets good after the first 10 hours, those stand little chance anymore.

I fully agree on books. Not just that longer series mean there is interest in the material, it's also great to already know the characters and world and continue building that world in your mind. Starting a new book or series can also take 100 pages to get into it. While with books, I can continue them after months of not reading and have no trouble picking the story up again.

I'm currently into Peter F. Hamilton. The Void trilogy. I read later novels first which referenced and continued on the void trilogy, which also makes it a lot easier to get into a new story. I love writers that tie all their stories together into a big universe.

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

*edit:
one thing that sets me apart from the others that replied in this thread, is that they often say they want short experiances.
I prefer longer ones, I want to fall in love with the world/characters and story and I want it to have time to foldout without it feeling rushed at all.
As long as you can easily save your game, and pick it up again when theres time, its length is of no issue.
Some games, like "I am Setsuna" I remember thinking, "this is too easy" "thats it? its over already?".  (I think I beat it in like 16hours or less)
It felt too short, after trying to learn the systems of the game ect, it was kinda dissapoint tbh.

I'm also a huge sucker for Path of Exile (a hack-n-slash looter). I like system depth in games, and this game just has it right for a hack-n-slash.
I've been playing it for years at this point, and can highly recammend. The story and systems have slight changes from season to season, and starting over with a new build is always good fun. Figouring out how to min-max and push limits is great in it.

About the length thingy..... I very much also prefer books, to be long running series.
I know if its continued onwards, for multiple books, there has to be a group of people that enjoy it enough to keep going at it.
(Basically bad sh*t doesn't last, so once a series has x amount of books in it, its a safe bet, its atleast decent)

I also read alot of light-novels, that sometimes have like 6000+ chapters and have run sometimes 10-20 years and the like.

Long staying experiences are great, as long as like you said, you can save anywhere and 'consume' the game in small amounts. Added up I spend 300 hours on TotK, but often not more than an hour at a time.

Games that have lots of complicated systems are not suited to this. I can't play 12 hour Civ campaigns over 12 days. It's not rewarding and it takes a lot of effort to keep track of and remember everything that I was doing everywhere. Long games are still great, but they must be rewarding for half hour play sessions and controls and systems need to be 'simple' enough to easily pick it up again after a week or longer.

Games where people say, it gets good after the first 10 hours, those stand little chance anymore.

I fully agree on books. Not just that longer series mean there is interest in the material, it's also great to already know the characters and world and continue building that world in your mind. Starting a new book or series can also take 100 pages to get into it. While with books, I can continue them after months of not reading and have no trouble picking the story up again.

I'm currently into Peter F. Hamilton. The Void trilogy. I read later novels first which referenced and continued on the void trilogy, which also makes it a lot easier to get into a new story. I love writers that tie all their stories together into a big universe.

Yes :)  looking up the void trilogy atm, looks intresting.

80s was all exploration. I gravitated to side scrolling beat em ups. Contra, ghosts n goblins, double dragon,

90s was mostly ruled by fighting games. Street fighter, MK, Killer instinct. I would rent any fighter I could find just hoping it would out do the ones I had.

2000s mostly open worlds. Shenmue, morrowind, I’d even count halo ce for how wide the levels were.. gta III.

2010s this is largely when I fell out of gaming. But I would say I’m still into open worlds.

Right now I’m playing Symphony of the Night. Which is like an open world side scroll beat ‘em up. Guess I went full circle.

JackHandy said:

Since the middle of the PS4 gen, I've become more and more a retro gamer and less and less interested in playing new games. I still stay up on all the news as best I can, but rarely does a game come out these days that tugs at me like the feeling of say, popping in a physical copy of DKC and playing with friends on the CRT. I don't know if it's me, or the industry, but I just tend to get a far bigger kick out of retro than what's happening right now.

Somehow that is very relatable. I gave away my old Nintendo consoles and games to siblings in a period where games toke a backseat. Now I love playing Nintendo's NSO and play those classics all the time.

*edit:

When it comes to books I fully agree. I'm a sucker for Terry Pratchett's work. Read all of them and highly recommend them. Unfortunate there will be no new ones (RIP Terry)