By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did your gaming preference change overe the years?

Most of us probably are gaming for many years. From child to adulthood. The interesting question then is, do our gaming preferences stay the same? Did they evolve and why is this so?

My gaming life started with the NES and looking back there where some changes throughout the years. Some examples:

1. I used to be more patient and had a lot more perseverance beating a game when I was young.

Zelda2 is the best example. It was hard, at times unfair, but I never gave up and eventually beaten it. Nowadays I would never have that patience and would have quite the game and never saw credits. So if I keep failing at a modern game, I'm struggling to keep my motivation and play something else pretty quickly.

2. I appreciated cinematics way more back then.

I bought a PS1 for FF7 and it was a fantastic experience. The best parts were those FMV scenes, the more the better. They felt like a reward for the progress that I made through the game and motivated me to keep on playing to see what the next one would be. FF8 & FF9 the same thing.

Nowadays they just feel like gameplay interruptions and I always hope they stay short. I now have a dislike to games that are heavy cinematic gaming experiences.

3. Better be short and sweet.

I used to play games that take a long time. Substantial Action Adventures, RPG's or typical PC games like Warcraft2 or Civilization2. I felt they were more bang for the buck and that mattered to me. Nowadays the only 'long' games I play are Zelda's.

I only have so much time to play games, so I'm hesitant to start large games in general. The nature of big games and limited time means I need to be invested into a game for several weeks, months even, without the fear of just getting bored with it. And outside Zelda I did not experience that motivation recently. So my preferences have shifted to smaller quicker games like e.g. metroidvania's.

Did your gaming experience change? Do you now perhaps prefer different genres and/or play styles? Let's discuss!

Last edited by Tober - on 06 March 2024

Around the Network

im unsure if they have. I used to love RPGs, I still love RPGs. I used to love adventure games, I still love adventure games. I used to get bored with sports games, I still get bored with sports games. I used to think Chrono Trigger was the best, I still think Chrono Trigger is the best.

I guess at most Id say ive grown to be patient and not rush things in general. And im more of a completionist now than I used to be.
In exchange, I dont have as much time to play videogames due to having new and more responsabilities, so starting a new game is a big commitment.

Jpcc86 said:

im unsure if they have. I used to love RPGs, I still love RPGs. I used to love adventure games, I still love adventure games. I used to get bored with sports games, I still get bored with sports games. I used to think Chrono Trigger was the best, I still think Chrono Trigger is the best.

I guess at most Id say ive grown to be patient and not rush things in general. And im more of a completionist now than I used to be.
In exchange, I dont have as much time to play videogames due to having new and more responsabilities, so starting a new game is a big commitment.

When thinking about modern games, what would get closest to a Chrono Trigger experience for you?

Tober said:
Jpcc86 said:

When thinking about modern games, what would get closest to a Chrono Trigger experience for you?

Well in recent years its Bloodborne and Elden Ring. VERY different tone from CTrigger, but both games got me very excited with their respective worldbuilding and mechanics.  I just cant get enough of them. Lowkey MHW/Iceborne as well, however I wouldnt really say its the exact same feeling cause I play it co-op mode most of the time. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 06 March 2024

Jpcc86 said:
Tober said:

Well in recent years its Bloodborne and Elden Ring. VERY different tone from CTrigger, but both games got me very exciting with their respective worldbuilding and mechanics.  I just cant get enough of them. Lowkey MHW/Iceborne as well, however I wouldnt really say its same feeling cause I play it co-op mode most of the time. 

Those are great choices.

Around the Network

A bit less patience with bloat and lower-quality games definitely. I played a lot more AA games/70-80 Meta scores when I was younger.

I have way less time to play than I used to so the overall number of games I play per year is way lower while the number of games I own per generation are way higher. As a kid I would play through all the games I had (sometimes repeatedly) and still be clamoring to rent something from the video store. Now I buy games because I have more disposable income and they are cheaper (I don't buy many titles on release day) but the odds of me actually ever playing them are getting smaller and smaller.
The series I love have not changed though so those tried and true franchises (Zelda, Metroid, most Marios) get purchased and more importantly get my time.
Tekken I loved but this newest one I will likely not play with them hiding characters behind a paywall. I bought 7 and barely played it anyway. With that series in particular playing in the living room with friends was where it was at and people just don't come over like that anymore (we all have wives, kids, other commitments). So that has changed.
Final Fantasy itself changed and I don't really care for the direction it went after 10. So those are likely out of the rotation.
I do find myself liking competitive games that don't require much time. I love the Splatoons, and my son got me playing some Fortnite. While not as good as sitting around with buddies and playing Goldeneye those games scratch that itch well enough.

To be completely honest the older I have gotten the less I play video games. These days I pretty much only play something if my friends are.

At the current rate I imagine I’m going to age out of the hobby by my mid 30s

Overall, my taste in games in games haven't changed too much. I mainly stick to FPS, Strategy, RPGs (primarily WRPGs) Platformers, and for the most part, anything Nintendo lol, which is pretty much the same taste I've had in games for 25 years now. The time I have to play games has drastically changed though. So I spend less time playing or buying games that I have some interest in, but not a lot.

I only buy games that I 100% have interest in and know for sure that I will play. I am more of a completionist though than I was when I was younger. I like the feeling of completing everything a game has to offer.

I also don't play Sports games anymore or Multiplayer games in general (outside of Halo or Strategy games) because I know there's other games I want to play and I can't waste the precious little time I have to game to replay the same thing over and over.

My gaming hardware has become more consolidated the older I've gotten. I primarily stick to PC gaming and whatever console Nintendo has out. I don't have my own gaming room or anything, and it just doesn't make much financial sense to buy and support multiple platforms when you're supporting a family. I was able to luck out on a free PS5 for Christmas, but once the launch window between console and PC becomes closer to less than a year, I'll sell my PS5 and continue on with my PC/Nintendo combo.

80's Mostly into 2D side scrollers, followed by adventure games.
Played mostly on MSX, C64, Amiga 500

90's Playing everything I could get my hands on, but mostly into turn based and real time strategy, management sims, fps and graphical adventure games.
Played mostly on PC

00's Grew out/bored of RTS, still some FPS, more RPG type games, graphical adventures declined
Played mostly on PS2/PS3/360 and to lesser extent N64/GC/Wii

10's No more RTS, fewer FPS, more sims, more open world RPG like games, lot more into racing games both arcade and sim
Played mostly on PS4/PSVR/Switch, but more time spend back on PC compared to the naughties.

20's Less gaming overall, spending most of my time with PSVR2 nowadays.
Played mostly on PS5/PSVR2 and some on PC.

It changed a lot. I have no more interest in competitive gaming, online interactions have killed that completely.

I favor building/creating much more now over destruction. Management sims are still fun, but not stuff like AoE. There is no satisfaction in 'beating' a game anymore, but there is still satisfaction in experiencing games. Hence the move to VR.

I used to be into mods and tinkered a lot with games. Nowadays it's convenience, as little time as possible wasted on configuring. Maximum time spend in game. Hence the preference for PSVR2, no hassle, maximum immersion.