By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Metacritic - 93

-Adonis- said:
Hiku said:

This might be referring to Steam, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Epic Games Store deal starting May 29, and Steam is 1 year away.

Unfortunatly no. FFXVI had 6 months exclusivity and now after 8 months, we still have no clue when it will be release on PC. So I know it will be the same for Rebirth, at least a year before it's on PC.

Sony: Man fuck this PS5 only shit, we gotta get all our games on the PC and maybe even other platforms stat.  

Square-Enix: Sorry, what was that? I thought I heard you say something about a PC or something?

Sony: Oh, no, no, I was uh just talking about making travel plans ... uh ... to BC ... Canada. 

Square-Enix: Oh ... ok then. 

Square-Enix gonna ride that single platform strategy like a 85 year old clinging to their wardrobe from the 1970s that even other 85 year olds wouldn't be caught dead wearing. 

Around the Network

Please, come to PC... Please!

Made it to Costa del Sol. Amazing game. a lot of stuff to do and the "open world" is surprisngly big, well designed, and charming.

Everyone's complaining about image quality but it doesn't appear blurry at all to my eyes in performance mode. Playing it on a 2009~ 32 inch 1080p TV.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 03 March 2024

Soundwave said:
-Adonis- said:

Unfortunatly no. FFXVI had 6 months exclusivity and now after 8 months, we still have no clue when it will be release on PC. So I know it will be the same for Rebirth, at least a year before it's on PC.

Square-Enix gonna ride that single platform strategy like a 85 year old clinging to their wardrobe from the 1970s that even other 85 year olds wouldn't be caught dead wearing. 

I don't really see why they wouldn't. They make a nice paycheck from Sony. Then if they can get a nice check from Epic. Then release it everywhere else. I don't believe for one second releasing it everywhere at once will make up for the check that Sony and Epic are writing them. How many people are refusing to play FF7 Remake because it didn't come to PC day 1? I waited for Control to come to Steam and bought it as soon as it did. 

Hiku said:
Chrkeller said:

Eventually will grab it on Steam, in Square's court on when that is. Square makes some nice games but I wish they would take PC seriously. Integrade is $70 which is absurd. Rebirth will hit PC at some point but not day 1. And 16 isn't on PC yet. Square has to be missing out on a crap ton of money.

Glad to see rebirth scoring well.  7 was always my favorite rpg.

This might be referring to Steam, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Epic Games Store deal starting May 29, and Steam is 1 year away.

Farsala said:

Afaik Square is doing pretty good lately, if not great. A recent article published about the top 300 richest companies in Japan, ie the companies with a lot of wealth and not much debt.

I don't know how SE are doing. But they've taken several big, even massive financial L's in recent years.

- Marvel's Avengers (iirc it cost them 200+ million)
- Babylon's Fall
- Balan Wonderworld
- Forspoken (Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said sales of the game had been "lacklustre")

But of course they've done well with other games, so it's probably mostly positive, unless Avengers cost them too much.

Overall SE is in a very good (if tad odd) position, but with some quite public failures. 2021 marked their highest net income report in 20 years, and then 2022 nearly doubled it. 2023 sustained the huge increase but with a slight decrease. That's essentially the story. Their stock has performed well over the last decade but has flattened in the last few years. This aligns with a company investors believed would see significant growth, which it did, and then levelled off at that new peak.

I think SE's failings are a frequent topic of discussion is linked to their success. The company, profit-wise, is doing very well. And it seems they're reinvesting some of that profit into higher risk projects. When those succeed, it's business as usual. When they fail, it becomes a big talking point.

This situation can't continue forever, but for now, SE is being subsidized by a few massively profitable successes (e.g., FF14), and they're leveraging those profits to discover the next big thing. That entails many failures, and hopefully, the actual "next." Their FY24/25 reports will reveal a lot about their current direction.

Around the Network

Not surprised because of the fandom that FF7 has. Also I believe nostalgia played a lot with this score too.

BiON!@