By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Metacritic - 93

93 is really friggin good, will eventually pick this up

Around the Network

Eventually will grab it on Steam, in Square's court on when that is. Square makes some nice games but I wish they would take PC seriously. Integrade is $70 which is absurd. Rebirth will hit PC at some point but not day 1. And 16 isn't on PC yet. Square has to be missing out on a crap ton of money.

Glad to see rebirth scoring well.  7 was always my favorite rpg.

It will never live up to my favorite and best game of all time ff7 on ps1, but iam verry hyped for this it looks SOO good! LOVEDff7 remake.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Hopefully these high scores will generate enough fuss that this game will sell well. Square could use a win.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Tober said:

Rebirth is doing great with critics. But could we see a Two Towers scenario, where a great movie will not get the Oscar because voters are waiting till the last in the trilogy? Or in other words, Rebirth not getting GOTY because a third part is already announced?

When you release a game in February chances you win GOTY tend to be lower, of it's by votes. Also its to soon to already call a game GOTY when we are in February. But with a meta of 93 and it being a very anticipated game for a long time, it will at least be nominated.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Hopefully these high scores will generate enough fuss that this game will sell well. Square could use a win.

Afaik Square is doing pretty good lately, if not great. A recent article published about the top 300 richest companies in Japan, ie the companies with a lot of wealth and not much debt.

Nintendo topped it at #1. But Namco Bandai was #25 and SE at #38. So top 3 in video games, SE remains. Their strategy has been doing quite well for them it seems.

Sony on the other hand didn't make the top 300.

Farsala said:
Qwark said:

Afaik Square is doing pretty good lately, if not great. A recent article published about the top 300 richest companies in Japan, ie the companies with a lot of wealth and not much debt.

Nintendo topped it at #1. But Namco Bandai was #25 and SE at #38. So top 3 in video games, SE remains. Their strategy has been doing quite well for them it seems.

Sony on the other hand didn't make the top 300.

Sony isnt a gaming company though, gaming is only a part of Sony, its other branches combined are bigger than gaming. Also Sony might sell many consoles but PlayStation has very low profit margins. Something that's not the case for Nintendo. Sony is also a tech company and has always been in a lot of debt, though the last 3 years it ballooned from 20 to over 30 billion.

SE has lost a lot of value around the FFVXI launch. SE also sold it's Western Studios so I can see why they dont have a lot of debt now. Forspoken, Dio(something) Chronicle and Valkery did not sell very well, nor was FFVXI a massive sales succes. So I wonder where they got good results from. On the bright side they won't be acquired anytime soon.

Farsala said:

Cash in hand vs. debt ratio doesn't mean anything by itself (since due to interest rates debt can be 'cheaper' than paying it off), equity does.

Most of SE's financials are solid, anyway, albeit declining in the last couple of years. This might be their turnaround.

Had no plans on playing this game, but 93MC is enough to sway me. Just preordered it!

Chrkeller said:

Eventually will grab it on Steam, in Square's court on when that is. Square makes some nice games but I wish they would take PC seriously. Integrade is $70 which is absurd. Rebirth will hit PC at some point but not day 1. And 16 isn't on PC yet. Square has to be missing out on a crap ton of money.

Glad to see rebirth scoring well.  7 was always my favorite rpg.

This might be referring to Steam, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Epic Games Store deal starting May 29, and Steam is 1 year away.

Farsala said:

I don't know how SE are doing. But they've taken several big, even massive financial L's in recent years.

- Marvel's Avengers (iirc it cost them 200+ million)
- Babylon's Fall
- Balan Wonderworld
- Forspoken (Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said sales of the game had been "lacklustre")

But of course they've done well with other games, so it's probably mostly positive, unless Avengers cost them too much.

Last edited by Hiku - on 23 February 2024