By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: Switch at 139.36m shipped

Pretty good numbers for Super Mario Bros. Wonder, it'll definitely have very very long legs.

Great numbers for Super Mario RPG too. Hopefully Paper Mario TTYD remake also does well so that there's a higher chance that we get brand new Mario RPGs.

Around the Network
Link_Nines.XBC said:

Pretty good numbers for Super Mario Bros. Wonder, it'll definitely have very very long legs.

Great numbers for Super Mario RPG too. Hopefully Paper Mario TTYD remake also does well so that there's a higher chance that we get brand new Mario RPGs.

SMRPGR has a significant timing advantage. By the time TTYDR comes out, the Switch 2 may have already been revealed and a launch date set. Hopefully they cross release it on Switch 2 or all Switch 1 games are available on Switch 2 day one.

The Mario movie effect seems to have boosted his games across the board; Mario Odyssey for example sold almost as much this quarter as TOTK, and more than BOTW.

Also, with TOTK and Super Mario Party crossing the 20 million mark this quarter, Switch now has 9 games over 20 million. For comparison, the Wii had 7 and the DS had 3.

Another milestone: with this update, Smash Bros Ultimate has passed Wii Sports Resort and is now the 6th highest selling Nintendo game of all time.

Hardware in line with my expectations, SMB Wonder significantly below my expectations despite being the fastest-selling Super Mario game anyway, Super Mario RPG significantly better than what I had expected.

I am not sure when I'll get around to updating my spreadsheet (still have to do the update for Q2 first, so I am way behind). But that aside, Switch remains on track to become the best-selling console of all time. A 30% decline in calendar year 2024 would still result in a figure above 10m, so despite inevitably approaching the end of its era as Nintendo's main console, there's enough gas left in the tank.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Hardware in line with my expectations, SMB Wonder significantly below my expectations despite being the fastest-selling Super Mario game anyway, Super Mario RPG significantly better than what I had expected.

I am not sure when I'll get around to updating my spreadsheet (still have to do the update for Q2 first, so I am way behind). But that aside, Switch remains on track to become the best-selling console of all time. A 30% decline in calendar year 2024 would still result in a figure above 10m, so despite inevitably approaching the end of its era as Nintendo's main console, there's enough gas left in the tank.

The only way I see Switch 1 passing PS2 is if Nintendo makes decisions that will Sabatage Switch 2's capabilities to sell. Personally, I hope they don't chase records and instead target the healthiest situation for Switch 2.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
RolStoppable said:

The only way I see Switch 1 passing PS2 is if Nintendo makes decisions that will Sabatage Switch 2's capabilities to sell. Personally, I hope they don't chase records and instead target the healthiest situation for Switch 2.

What would be some examples of sabotaging the successor's ability to sell? We don't know what Nintendo has planned for the successor, nor when they will announce or launch it.

I hope they give the successor a healthy environment, and provide the Switch a path to surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

RolStoppable said:

Wouldn't the decline be a lot steeper than 30% given Switch is likely to be replaced this year? Once a successor is announced and then released sales should fall off dramatically, and companies these days tend to phase out old hardware quite quickly.

It could be, but the decline slope will depend on other factors that we can only guess at right now: price drops, new economy models, new bundles, and potential shared libraries with Switch 2–meaning a cheap Switch 1 could be an effective starter machine for those who want to sample a couple of years before diving into the ecosystem with a full priced Switch 2. I think 30% is a decent estimate all things considering. But it remains to be seen what Nintendo does over the next few months.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm surprised at how much Nintendo Switch Sports has sold. Especially in the last quarter. Nintendo seemed like they released the game and kind of forgot about it.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Nintendo should focus all their energy on a successful next console launch and not worry about chasing the sales record. The Switch has been a substantially more successful platform than the PS2 ever was. the DVD craze, piracy, and yearly price cuts allowed the PS2 to reach their number while the Switch has sold some 140million without a price cut while selling over a billion in software at full price. All this while coming off the failure of the Wii U and going up against the PS4, PS5, Xbox 1/X/S, mobile gaming, PC gaming, and the Steamdeck. PS2 essentially had the market to themselves.

The Switch will go down as the most successful gaming console of all time wether or not they get the sales record.