By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: Switch at 139.36m shipped

psychicscubadiver said:

Interesting news on the digital sales right there.
Over the past five quarters listed in that slide, total digital sales make an average of 48.6% of all software sales and digital versions of packaged software make up an average of 55.9% of those digital sales.
So digital versions make up 27.2% of total sales vs physical software at 51.4%, meaning that the digital-physical split on software is approximately 34.6% digital to 65.4% physical for retail released games.

If I read the graph correctly, digital revenue also includes Nintendo Online subscriptions and paid DLC. That bumps the number up somewhat. So I think physical could be a bit higher than 65.4% still.

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:

Over the past five quarters listed in that slide, total digital sales make an average of 48.6% of all software sales and digital versions of packaged software make up an average of 55.9% of those digital sales.
So digital versions make up 27.2% of total sales vs physical software at 51.4%, meaning that the digital-physical split on software is approximately 34.6% digital to 65.4% physical for retail released games.

Worth bearing in mind that this is revenue and that Nintendo will receive more from a digital sale through their eshop than a physical sale at a retailer. So in terms of units it will be less than 34.6% digital.

curl-6 said:
Zippy6 said:

Though for context Mario Wonder had huge advantages in this comparison. Mario Wonder basically had an extra month on sale and launched to a system with double the install base (65m vs 130m). Was hoping for a bit better as Mario Wonder is far better than any NSMB game in my opinion.

Not quite an extra month; 23 days. NSMBWii did have a smaller install base, yes, but it also launched in Wii's prime where Wonder launched in the Switch's twilight.

It's not a 1:1 comparison, but it does put things in perspective.

I’ve been pretty bearish on MW, but this is an undeniable win for MW here. SMBWii was the first 2d Mario released on a home console in almost 2 decades, it had everything going for it. And as you correctly said it, MW was released in the Switch’s twilight. This is undeniable. I’ll take the L. 

1.2 billion software is impressive. But this does not include downloadable games only. I wonder how much the total could be. Given the Switch is popular for playing indy games, that often are download only I guess perhaps an additional.. 200-300million?

Do we have that slide that verifies the unit sales do not include digital only games? A certain poster on this site seems to still not believe this and when I posted proof, they claimed the link didn't work. Nintendo does include digital only games in the revenue but not the unit sales. So basically the income is accurate for all of Nintendo's business but the unit sales (1.2 billion) is not accurate because it does not include the digital only games.

Around the Network

Which Nintendo exec sold their soul to keep sales this high so late in the Switch's lifecycle?

I somehow forgot they were coming out late last night for me. I'll get the article up on the shipment figures then work on adjustments. Our gap between sold and shipped increased over the last quarter, so I'd say we have it somewhat undertracked. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Phenomajp13 said:

Do we have that slide that verifies the unit sales do not include digital only games? A certain poster on this site seems to still not believe this and when I posted proof, they claimed the link didn't work. Nintendo does include digital only games in the revenue but not the unit sales. So basically the income is accurate for all of Nintendo's business but the unit sales (1.2 billion) is not accurate because it does not include the digital only games.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231108e.pdf

This is 1/2 year financial briefing presentation from Nintendo posted on November 8th.

Page 50 shows unit sales data and states on the graph. "Download only titles are not included"

@curl-6 Thanks for posting the thread on the Switch figures. I had a brain fart and thought they were going to be posted tonight for me and not last night. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

psychicscubadiver said:

Zippy6 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Worth bearing in mind that this is revenue and that Nintendo will receive more from a digital sale through their eshop than a physical sale at a retailer. So in terms of units it will be less than 34.6% digital.

This all leads to likely pointing out that has usual, Nintendo software might have sometimes spike in their digital ratio at launch but this ratio usually gets to the advantage of physical since people buys more of them physical over the long period following it. So people going out and saying the Switch is about 40-50% digital ratio are pretty much to be wrong. 

This is the kind of stats that just also proves that Nintendo will adopt physical support for the Switch successor, for those who are worried of the contrary due the likely increase in game's size next generation.

Also the Pokemon DLC this November is probably a huge reason why the digital only content add-ons went up this quarter.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909