By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are your favorite gaming decades the ones you experienced first?

Are your favorite gaming decades the ones you experienced first?

Yes 19 43.18%

No 25 56.82%

Total:44

For me, most definitely. 25 of my top 30 games are from the 80s & 90s. The NES & SNES are still my all-time favorite systems. So many of those old games are games I can replay on a regular basis. Meanwhile, though I have enjoyed plenty of 21st-century games, only a few I've ever replayed, and even fewer more than once, and most of those have "Halo" in the title. There's just something about the time investment needed for gigantic sprawling games that last 40-60+ hours that discourages me from revisiting them. I most recently finished Horizon Forbidden West, and that took me close to two months worth of play sessions to finally complete (though I did go for the platinum, which I got). If I ever replay it, I might just do an NG+ and blow through the main story missions. Meanwhile, and old-school Mega Man game is something I can breeze through in an hour or so, so it's hardly any kind of time commitment at all. Just pick it up, beat 12 levels that last a few minutes, and I'm good.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Started with an Atari 2600 as a kid.

Glad we left that console generation behind as the SNES was a superior device in every way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Was born at the end of the 90's but I began my real first gaming experiences during the 00's playing my GBA, SNES and Xbox 360 games by the end of that decade.

Yet, only when I got the time to truly enjoy gaming during the middle of the last decade, did I really find my groove into gaming.

So no, my best experiences were not from the time decade I was born. I'd say those last 7-8 years are more defining to my gaming path than before that point.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The 2000s were the decades I exeperienced first and its the era i wish I could go back and relive. I even drive a car from 2003 because I love that era so much .

BiON!@ 

I got more excited while playing the games then. I was thrilled by my experiences. I felt most of my exuberance from 1986-2001. After that I played but if you recorded my facial expressions, they were not expressive. Even now, while I play Symphony of the Night, I enjoy it, but I’m not exuberant. Perhaps it’s more to do with how I used to play with friends and then I only played alone. Halo was the last true multiplayer experience I had.

Around the Network

I got into gaming in the '90s with the NES at home.

Loved console gaming from the '90s till 2007, had a blast with Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo, Spyro, and stuff.

From 2006 to 2012, I was more into PC gaming, mainly 'cause of World of Warcraft. That first WoW experience is unforgettable.

But 2007-2015 was a tough time for me with consoles. Wasn't a fan of the PS3/360/Wii/DS era. Nintendo consoles just didn't do it for me. They felt too "casual" (might not be the right word, but that's how it felt). The Wii Remote and the DS's dual screens weren't my thing. And they seemed outdated and kind of gimmicky to me. I wish they focus on traditional controlers instead of trying to introduce pseudo innovations. Wii games looked like PS2 games with too much aliasing, and I wasn't into the Zelda or Mario games then. Tried Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight, and Skyward Sword but never finished them. The DS didn't seem old, but its 3D focus made the games look bad to me, a big letdown after the GBA and GameCube. To me the Wiimote and the ds screen didn't bring anything really interesting.
The start of this gen on Ps3/360 was all about FPS games, which I'm not into, along with super casual games like Guitar Hero, Nintendogs, and Wii Sports. Felt like the industry was just pumping out FPS games with a dull grey/brown filter. Couldn't stand COD, Halo, Resistance, Killzone, etc. Other games also didn't impress me much (like Final Fantasy, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted 1, GTA IV), and aliasing was a huge annoyance.

Almost dropped console gaming then and leaned more on PC. Mass Effect was the only console game that really wowed me at that time.

Things got better in the later PS3 days. The Japanese gaming scene seemed to catch up, and we got cool titles like Uncharted 2/3, Tekken Tag 2, Last of Us, GTA5, etc.

But I really got back into console gaming with the PS4 and Switch. FPS wasn't as dominant anymore. Loved the mix of games, better balance between Japanese and Western stuff. The 2015-2022 period was great.

Now, I think I might be heading into my favorite gaming era. Despite folks saying gaming's slowing down, I see it the other way. The last few years have been amazing, with so many great, deep games coming out quick. Gaming seems to be speeding up since 2022, with tech jumps. AI in dialogues and graphics seem also promising and already having important effects of lightning and stuff. Like, Tekken 8's leap from Tekken 7 feels bigger than from Tekken 5 to Tekken 7. We've seen awesome games in a short span like Baldur's Gate, Elden Ring, Ragnarok, Zelda, and more. Plus, there's so much variety now. Feels like even niche genres have plenty of choices. Gaming is also more affordable (though that might be changing). With Steam, Game Pass, Amazon, and second-hand deals, finding good prices feels easier than back in the day.
In my country a PS2 games at release would cost around 100 CHF, PS3 games 100-110 (at least during the first part of PS3 life cycle) and now a Ps5 costs 79 CHF at release.

Born in 1992 and started playing games in that decade as well. I can say that the 90s is my least favorite decade for games. Now the 2000's on the other hand is likely my favorite decade of gaming up to this point. So many great games that I love were released during this period.