By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

the-pi-guy said:

I Don't Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People

"I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I don’t know how to convince someone how to experience the basic human emotion of empathy."

iF u cARe So muCH tHeN Y dOn'T u PaY 4 thERE CoLLegE ouT Of ur OWN pOckET?! LeaVe mE OuT oF It!!!

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Chrkeller said:

Nah.  State schools aren't expensive.  8 to 10k a year.  The "fancy" private schools are the problem along with the absurd room/board.  If someone goes to a grossly overpriced private school and gets a stupid degree...   that was their choice, not my problem.  

I got my chemistry degrees from state schools...  60k for a MS.  Easily paid back.  

People need to take responsibility for their choices, not blame others.  I have a friend who went to Carnegie and got a degree in classical guitar for 150k....  his problem, not mine.

A quick google search tells me the national average for in-state tuition at a public 4-year university is just over $26k/year or about $104k for a degree. That is absolutely expensive.

Also, why are you assuming everyone with large amounts of debt got a stupid degree? This is a right wing talking point where they pretend everybody who has student debt got some ridiculous degree like the one in your example.

It’s not blaming others, it’s accepting that we have a fucked up system and people shouldn’t be punished for trying to get an education. When the cost of tuition is multiple times more expensive than other OECD countries (some of these countries are tuition free) then we should acknowledge that there is a major issue with the way our system is set up and not blame people for doing what they were taught would make them more money.

Higher education in the US is like out healthcare and childcare systems where people are spending an asinine amount for things that other countries get for much cheaper or even free.

26k is room, board and tuition.  That isn't the cost of tuition.  I suggest sharpening you google skills.

In state tuition is 8 to 10k.  Easy enough to pay back.  

Edit

In state tuition for public schools is:

"Compared with the national average cost of in-state tuition of $11,560"

It isn't 26k.  A person can get a fine education for not much more than a new car.....  

Edit

And other countries dont get those things for free.  Nothing is free.  Those countries pay massive taxes which stiffles so many things.

For the record I was born and raised in the US.  Now I live via temporary assignment in Europe.  I have experience with both systems. 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 April 2024

the-pi-guy said:

I Don't Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People

"I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I don’t know how to convince someone how to experience the basic human emotion of empathy."

None of this is for me. I live a very privileged life. I don't have to worry about my student debt. I don't have to worry about putting food on the table. 

There's another person out there who made a terrible decision, maybe because he grew up in a broken home, maybe a billion other things. 

I would be thrilled to make some reasonable sacrifices to help that other person live a better life. 

I'm tired of the "why should I be punished for doing everything right" nonsense. 

We give up a lot more to do a lot worse. The government happily spends a trillion dollars every year on funding an absurd military, including tons of wasteful research projects that go nowhere. 

Strawman.  That isn't the argument.  The argument is debt forgiveness doesn't fix the actual problem and only encourages people to NOT think more about college and their degree.  

I guess when you've lost an argument you make up what others are saying?

Debt forgiveness isn't the solution.

Chrkeller said:

Strawman.  That isn't the argument.  The argument is debt forgiveness doesn't fix the actual problem and only encourages people to NOT think more about college and their degree.  

It's also a straw man to argue that debt forgiveness is being pushed as "the solution". 

We need to help people where they are at right now, and we need to work to reduce the costs of education. We need to do both. 

Which is frankly a bigger issue. 50 years ago, your "stupid" degree was easily afforded by a minimum wage. Now we get 17 year olds signing up for stupid degrees because everyone has made it an expectation that they're going to get one. 

Except now they probably need to be making like $30 an hour to afford paying for it, as well as the rest of their living expenses. 

>guess when you've lost an argument you make up what others are saying?

I never said you said that. 

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

It's also a straw man to argue that debt forgiveness is being pushed as "the solution". 

We need to help people where they are at right now, and we need to work to reduce the costs of education. We need to do both. 

Which is frankly a bigger issue. 50 years ago, your "stupid" degree was easily afforded by a minimum wage. Now we get 17 year olds signing up for stupid degrees because everyone has made it an expectation that they're going to get one. 

Except now they probably need to be making like $30 an hour to afford paying for it, as well as the rest of their living expenses. 

>guess when you've lost an argument you make up what others are saying?

I never said you said that. 

The question was asked if people were against blanket debt forgiveness.  I am.  Sorry if that bothers.  Having gotten a MS degree and taught at university the cost of tuition isn't the problem.  The problem is people going out of state for 3x the cost, taking 5 to 6 years for a BS and picking a poor major.  Debt forgiveness isn't my bag.  Not sure what else to tell you.  

Not everyone needs to go to college.  I have many friends who didn't go and they are doing well in life.  College isn't a right.  Personally I think healthcare is and should be universal, but college is a choice.  I do not believe in debt forgiveness for a choice.  

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
sundin13 said:

So, is anyone actually disappointed in Biden's Student Loan policies? With the announcement of the forgiveness of a bunch of student loan interest that came yesterday, I feel like he's just continuing to kill it (in a good way), but it seems a lot of college graduates are disappointed? What is going on?

Disappointed here.  I paid my student loans and now via being a high income earner I get to pay other people's student loans.  Seems like BS to me.  But I'm still voting Biden because trump is just a hard pass for the sake of democracy.

Take a loan, pay the loan.  I don't believe in forgiving debts because people took out a bunch of money and got a stupid degree.  

What about teachers who have been working for years in public service? Social workers? People with disabilities? People who got a degree in a high earning field but have been unable to find a job? Or people who had to leave their job to serve as a primary caretaker?

The whole "stupid degree" argument has always been bad, because there are millions of people with normal ass degrees, doing work that is incredibly important to the functioning of our society who have a ton of student loan debt. America needs people with a college education. As such, it should be the taxpayer's responsibility to help.

Chrkeller said:

Nah.  State schools aren't expensive.  8 to 10k a year.  The "fancy" private schools are the problem along with the absurd room/board.  If someone goes to a grossly overpriced private school and gets a stupid degree...   that was their choice, not my problem.  

I got my chemistry degrees from state schools...  60k for a MS.  Easily paid back.  

People need to take responsibility for their choices, not blame others.  I have a friend who went to Carnegie and got a degree in classical guitar for 150k....  his problem, not mine.

I also just want to say, your characterization of student loan debt is not matched by reality. You seem to believe that the problem with student loans is that people go to some fancy school and take out a ton of money, but the vast, vast majority of student loan debt is under $40k. Further, the people who are defaulting on their loans aren't the ones with $150k of debt, they are the ones with $5k of debt. The default rate increases as the debt size gets smaller. These are largely normal people, who made normal decisions as literal children, and are not stuck in a difficult situation, often decades later. 

The system is thoroughly fucked. 

Last edited by sundin13 - on 11 April 2024

sundin13 said:
Chrkeller said:

Disappointed here.  I paid my student loans and now via being a high income earner I get to pay other people's student loans.  Seems like BS to me.  But I'm still voting Biden because trump is just a hard pass for the sake of democracy.

Take a loan, pay the loan.  I don't believe in forgiving debts because people took out a bunch of money and got a stupid degree.  

What about teachers who have been working for years in public service? Social workers? People with disabilities? People who got a degree in a high earning field but have been unable to find a job? Or people who had to leave their job to serve as a primary caretaker?

The whole "stupid degree" argument has always been bad, because there are millions of people with normal ass degrees, doing work that is incredibly important to the functioning of our society who have a ton of student loan debt. America needs people with a college education. As such, it should be the taxpayer's responsibility to help.

Chrkeller said:

I also just want to say, your characterization of student loan debt is not matched by reality. You seem to believe that the problem with student loans is that people go to some fancy school and take out a ton of money, but the vast, vast majority of student loan debt is under $40k. Further, the people who are defaulting on their loans aren't the ones with $150k of debt, they are the ones with $5k of debt. The default rate increases as the debt size gets smaller. These are largely normal people, who made normal decisions as literal children, and are not stuck in a difficult situation, often decades later. 

Don't look now but you tripped.  In the first paragraph people owe a ton of money and in the second they don't owe much....  which is it?  People have a ton of debt or owe very little?

Feel free to sponsor someone and pay off their debt, no one is stopping you.  

It absolutely is not the tax payer responsibility to pay off someone's debt.  That is nonsense.  It is the borrower's responsibility.  I know it sounds crazy but the person who takes the money owes it back.

And if you don't think stupid degrees are a problem, if haven't spent much time at a university.

And these people did not make choices as "literal" children.  College kids are 18 years old. Which LITERALLY makes them adults.  

Quick question....  I have two kids, both with a 529a account...  I should cash that bad boy out because you and everyone here should pay their college, correct?

And the system isn't fucked.  In state public schools are 10k a year....  millions and millions of people navigate the university system just fine.  It isn't that hard to figure out.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 April 2024

Chrkeller said:

Don't look now but you tripped.  In the first paragraph people owe a ton of money and in the second they don't owe much....  which is it?  People have a ton of debt or owe very little?

No they didn't. They're talking about different groups of people.

The first instance is talking about a minority of people, and the second instance is talking about the majority of people. I'm not sure why this kind of qualifier trips people up, but it's interesting to me. 

Plenty of people with excessive debt are people that are doctors, lawyers who can probably afford to eventually pay off their debt.

The average person has about $40,000 in debt, therefore for every person that has $150,000 in debt, there's basically multiple people with $20,000 in debt.

Chrkeller said:

Ah, there it is.

TallSilhouette said:

iF u cARe So muCH tHeN Y dOn'T u PaY 4 thERE CoLLegE ouT Of ur OWN pOckET?! LeaVe mE OuT oF It!!!

It's wonderful that people are able to do such a thing, but societal level problems aren't going to get solved by this kind of thinking.

Chrkeller said:

It absolutely is not the tax payer responsibility to pay off someone's debt.  That is nonsense.  It is the borrower's responsibility.  I know it sounds crazy but the person who takes the money owes it back.

This is a circular argument. 

For example, rights and freedoms aren't written by God. We as a society decide what kind of rights and freedoms we want to protect. 

And similarly society decides who is responsible for things. In the US for example, we decide that people are responsible to be jurors. 

I would happily live in a society that wants to help out other people's debt.

Chrkeller said:

And if you don't think stupid degrees are a problem, if haven't spent much time at a university.

And these people did not make choices as "literal" children.  College kids are 18 years old. Which LITERALLY makes them adults.  

And a lot of them were 17 when they started.

Chrkeller said:

Quick question....  I have two kids, both with a 529a account...  I should cash that bad boy out because you and everyone here should pay their college, correct?

And the system isn't fucked.  In state public schools are 10k a year....  millions and millions of people navigate the university system just fine.  It isn't that hard to figure out.  

Well I'd wait for the system to get fixed.

But yeah, I'd love to pay more taxes to ensure your kids are able to get paid through college. Because I think these things benefit society as a whole. And because I think the best way to protect my privilege is by insuring other people get the same privileges that I had access to. 

$10k, minimum wage is $15k. Those expenses are important for other things like living expenses. 

That's not much if you are able to get a good job, and you live in an area where there's a low cost of living. 

But it's not so great, even if you do get a good job, and you live in an area where cost of living is expensive. 

Here's the thing, you can make great decisions and still end up broke. You get a great job, you die of cancer, and your kids might end up struggling to keep the house they grew up in. 

Chrkeller said:
sundin13 said:

Chrkeller said:

Fact is, most of the people struggling under their debt, objectively don't have an obscene amount of debt, but it still places an obscene burden on their life. Again, these aren't just blue-haired feminists who went to Yale for a Gender Studies degree who don't want to work, it is teachers, people with disabilities, people working multiple jobs, primary caretakers, etc. Many of them are people who are supporting the society we live in by giving their lives to public service. Stopping them from having gone to college wouldn't make this country better. The narrative that I see so many people trying to spin about this just isn't reality and that is an important distinction to make. 

Taxpayers pay for a plethora of things that don't directly affect them. I don't have two kids. Why should I pay for your kids to go to primary school? The reason is pretty obvious in my opinion, and the logic isn't really much different for college. 

Also, you keep talking about how much in-state tuition is, which, first of all, $40k may not be much to you, but it can definitely be a lot of money for people depending on their situation. But beyond that, what do you do if you don't live near a university? Am I expect to sleep on the sidewalk? Or the cost of books? The cost of a car to commute if you're living off campus? 

You really seem to want to reduce everything down to the simplest situation for you to hate, but reality is often a lot messier. 

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

No they didn't. They're talking about different groups of people.

The first instance is talking about a minority of people, and the second instance is talking about the majority of people. I'm not sure why this kind of qualifier trips people up, but it's interesting to me. 

Plenty of people with excessive debt are people that are doctors, lawyers who can probably afford to eventually pay off their debt.

The average person has about $40,000 in debt, therefore for every person that has $150,000 in debt, there's basically multiple people with $20,000 in debt.

Chrkeller said:

Ah, there it is.

TallSilhouette said:

It's wonderful that people are able to do such a thing, but societal level problems aren't going to get solved by this kind of thinking.

Chrkeller said:

This is a circular argument. 

For example, rights and freedoms aren't written by God. We as a society decide what kind of rights and freedoms we want to protect. 

And similarly society decides who is responsible for things. In the US for example, we decide that people are responsible to be jurors. 

I would happily live in a society that wants to help out other people's debt.

Chrkeller said:

And a lot of them were 17 when they started.

Chrkeller said:

Well I'd wait for the system to get fixed.

But yeah, I'd love to pay more taxes to ensure your kids are able to get paid through college. Because I think these things benefit society as a whole. And because I think the best way to protect my privilege is by insuring other people get the same privileges that I had access to. 

$10k, minimum wage is $15k. Those expenses are important for other things like living expenses. 

That's not much if you are able to get a good job, and you live in an area where there's a low cost of living. 

But it's not so great, even if you do get a good job, and you live in an area where cost of living is expensive. 

Here's the thing, you can make great decisions and still end up broke. You get a great job, you die of cancer, and your kids might end up struggling to keep the house they grew up in. 

Like I said in our first exchange, we will have to agree to disagree.  I believe in personal responsibility.  

FYI,  kids won't struggle to keep the house.  My house is paid off and I didn't have someone else do it for me.  I actually worked and it did it myself!