By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Chrkeller said:

Like I said in our first exchange, we will have to agree to disagree.  I believe in personal responsibility.  

FYI,  kids won't struggle to keep the house.  My house is paid off and I didn't have someone else do it for me.  I actually worked and it did it myself!

That part of the paragraph had nothing to do with you. But this is the issue. You care about yourself. Thus bringing me back to my previous post. I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people. I'm glad you have a good life. Some of us want to fight to ensure other people also are able to have a good life. 

Yeah personal responsibility is great, but there are billion different things that affect how people grow up. Lead poisoning affects people's ability to make good decisions. Lots of other chemicals. Having a good diet growing up affects people's ability to make good decisions. Being in a good school, affects people's ability to make good decisions. People's genetics affects their ability to make good decisions. Having good role models affects people's ability to make good decisions. A lot of these things are dependent on being born and growing in the right area, to the right people. 

Propaganda makes it easier for people to make bad decisions. Having money makes it easier for people to survive bad decisions. Bill Gates' kids can do any dumb degree they want, and it won't hurt their life. 

Life isn't fair in any way, shape or form. You can pat yourself on your back, because you survived and made good decisions and came out on top. 

Personally I don't care about coming out on top. I just want to live in a good society. I'm doing fine for myself. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 11 April 2024

Around the Network

Hard work pays more than a piece of paper if you play your cards right.

However... Here in Australia University costs nothing to do your actual degree.
Once you complete your degree and start working and your income exceeds a certain threshold, they start to take some money from your pay check.

College is often free depending on the courses and scholarships that are available.
Public school is free.

I guess the USA prides itself on having an expensive education and health system. Often beating us by spending more per-capita with inferior results.

I believe no one should have crippling debts for wanting to learn, grow and improve or seek health care.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Hard work pays more than a piece of paper if you play your cards right.

However... Here in Australia University costs nothing to do your actual degree.
Once you complete your degree and start working and your income exceeds a certain threshold, they start to take some money from your pay check.

College is often free depending on the courses and scholarships that are available.
Public school is free.

I guess the USA prides itself on having an expensive education and health system. Often beating us by spending more per-capita with inferior results.

I believe no one should have crippling debts for wanting to learn, grow and improve or seek health care.

Primary and secondary schools are free in the US.  A 4 year degree via in state is 40k.  Education in the US, for those who play their cards right, isn't crippling.

One of the larger problems is people in the US look down on trades and falsely think they have to go to college.  Many trades make more than many degrees...  like I said, bad decisions and poor guidance is a bigger issue than the actual cost. 

But in typical US fashion we ignore the real problem and "solve" by addressing something else. 

Edit

And many workplaces will sponsor and pay for their employees to further their education via MS and doctorate degrees.  I've personally approved multiple employees further education that the company wholly covers.

The idea that a person can't get an education in the US without massive debt is 100% false.  I got a BS and MS in chemistry and it was less than 60k combined.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 April 2024

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

Like I said in our first exchange, we will have to agree to disagree.  I believe in personal responsibility.  

FYI,  kids won't struggle to keep the house.  My house is paid off and I didn't have someone else do it for me.  I actually worked and it did it myself!

That part of the paragraph had nothing to do with you. But this is the issue. You care about yourself. Thus bringing me back to my previous post. I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people. I'm glad you have a good life. Some of us want to fight to ensure other people also are able to have a good life. 

Yeah personal responsibility is great, but there are billion different things that affect how people grow up. Lead poisoning affects people's ability to make good decisions. Lots of other chemicals. Having a good diet growing up affects people's ability to make good decisions. Being in a good school, affects people's ability to make good decisions. People's genetics affects their ability to make good decisions. Having good role models affects people's ability to make good decisions. A lot of these things are dependent on being born and growing in the right area, to the right people. 

Propaganda makes it easier for people to make bad decisions. Having money makes it easier for people to survive bad decisions. Bill Gates' kids can do any dumb degree they want, and it won't hurt their life. 

Life isn't fair in any way, shape or form. You can pat yourself on your back, because you survived and made good decisions and came out on top. 

Personally I don't care about coming out on top. I just want to live in a good society. I'm doing fine for myself. 

Nobody is stopping you from volunteering, donating money, sponsorships of others, etc.  You are 100% free to do what you want with your time and money.  I fully support your freedom of choice.  The question is, do you support the freedom of choice for others?  

Chrkeller said:

Nobody is stopping you from volunteering, donating money, sponsorships of others, etc.  You are 100% free to do what you want with your time and money.  I fully support your freedom of choice.  The question is, do you support the freedom of choice for others?  

Again, a few people aren't enough to make changes.

There is very little freedom of choice. 

I don't get to directly pick how much of my tax dollars go to the military, or go to education or roads, or anything else.  

Around the Network

I think Chrkeller has a serious case of “fuck you, got mine”. It doesn’t personally benefit him so he doesn’t support it.

The let’s apply the “I paid my loans so others should have to as well” argument to other policies.

If we ever finally get to a point where Medicare for All passes in the US, will the argument among people over 65 be “I had to wait to get Medicare, all these young adults should have to wait too!”?

Or bringing back the monthly child tax credit we had in 2021, will the argument among people whose children are grown be “I raised my kids without a monthly check from the government and parents today shouldn’t either!”

Or various programs we all pay for regardless if we use them or not. Should people without kids be pissed that their property taxes are used to fund public schools even if they don’t have kids or fund public transit even if they have never used it?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This whole post-Trump GOP that embraces the 'pull yourself up with by your bootstraps' and then spew thinly veiled hate and animosity is part of the problem.   For people living in society, personal responsibility is to be responsible for the society that you are personally apart of.  It's understanding that the best possible outcome for one's self is one where they live in a society with educated and healthy people.  The current climate being prompted by the right only knows nihilistic disregard for anything but one's own self, a virtue of the rich and powerful.  

zorg1000 said:

I think Chrkeller has a serious case of “fuck you, got mine”. It doesn’t personally benefit him so he doesn’t support it.

The let’s apply the “I paid my loans so others should have to as well” argument to other policies.

If we ever finally get to a point where Medicare for All passes in the US, will the argument among people over 65 be “I had to wait to get Medicare, all these young adults should have to wait too!”?

Or bringing back the monthly child tax credit we had in 2021, will the argument among people whose children are grown be “I raised my kids without a monthly check from the government and parents today shouldn’t either!”

Or various programs we all pay for regardless if we use them or not. Should people without kids be pissed that their property taxes are used to fund public schools even if they don’t have kids or fund public transit even if they have never used it?

I see you are going to ignore being wrong with saying tuition average is 26k when it is 11k.  I always found it interesting when someone is clearly wrong but ignores it and doesn't own it.

I'm actually in favor of many social programs, like universal Healthcare.  Your view of me is wrong.  

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

Again, a few people aren't enough to make changes.

There is very little freedom of choice. 

I don't get to directly pick how much of my tax dollars go to the military, or go to education or roads, or anything else.  

If only a few people support it, the president (without congressional oversight) shouldn't be making billions disappear.  

Edit

Also, I can't keep up with who is requesting what information so I'll place it here.  People want to know why I think the problem is worthless degrees....  the largest portion of student debt is from the university of Phoenix, which is a for profit university being hammered in lawsuits for misleading advertising.  By definition those degrees are in fact worthless and are the largest part of debt owed.  UoP isn't even a real university.  

For profit universities should be illegal.  Shutting them down makes more sense than debt forgiveness.  Shut them down, sell the assets and give duped students their money back.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 12 April 2024

Chrkeller said:

I see you are going to ignore being wrong with saying tuition average is 26k when it is 11k. 

You keep saying this like it changes everything. 

Chrkeller said:

I always found it interesting when someone is clearly wrong but ignores it and doesn't own it.

Most people do that. You've ignored a handful of things right in this very thread.

Chrkeller said:

If only a few people support it, the president (without congressional oversight) shouldn't be making billions disappear.  

I didn't say only a few people support it. Few people would volunteer for it.

Take a different issue like public housing. There are tons of studies that show that we can save money by diverting police costs that go towards policing homeless people toward giving them homes, and actually save money in the process. People certainly could volunteer for more housing things, but it makes a lot more sense to have a public policy to divert less worthwhile funds towards it. That requires government support, not individual choices. 

Chrkeller said:

Also, I can't keep up with who is requesting what information so I'll place it here.  People want to know why I think the problem is worthless degrees....  the largest portion of student debt is from the university of Phoenix, which is a for profit university being hammered in lawsuits for misleading advertising.  By definition those degrees are in fact worthless and are the largest part of debt owed.  UoP isn't even a real university.  

For profit universities should be illegal.  Shutting them down makes more sense than debt forgiveness.  Shut them down, sell the assets and give duped students their money back.  

Is there a source for the largest portion of student debt being from the university of Phoenix?