By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Addicting Games You Had To Force Yourself to Stop Playing?

Tagged games:

League of legends. Did not need to force myself to stop playing it but I'm happy I stopped

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
SanAndreasX said:

For me, it's mostly "sim games" that do that. I'd spend hours on SimCity and Cities Skylines. I've logged marathon playing sessions on space sims like No Man's Sky and Starflight in the 1980s.

Tears of the Kingdom was my most-played game of 2023, by far. Spent hours just exploring and playing with Zonai machines. My second most-played game of 2023 was Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life, which is a farm sim.

Similar for me, right now most of my gaming are colony sims or God Games (Which are basically colony sims on a larger scale and more powers anyway), generally with some survival elements. Oxygen not Included, Songs of Syx, The Universim, Rise to Ruins, Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation, Banished...

And yes, you need to focus a lot in those games, so much so that time flies so fast you don't feel like you're gaming for hours already.

Ah, so interesting game list. Are you the one besides me who put Rise to Ruins in their TOP 50 list for the greatest game event? Because I was surprised to see it having two votes, I fully expected no one on this site knowing the game. I played Oxygen not Included recently, a bit stressful as some resources (Algae for instance) will not be produced and so I am forced to expand to find more. Songs of Syx is on my wishlist for quite some time now as well. Did you play Odd Realm, Against the Storm or the granddaddy of the colony sim games: Dwarf Fortress?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Similar for me, right now most of my gaming are colony sims or God Games (Which are basically colony sims on a larger scale and more powers anyway), generally with some survival elements. Oxygen not Included, Songs of Syx, The Universim, Rise to Ruins, Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation, Banished...

And yes, you need to focus a lot in those games, so much so that time flies so fast you don't feel like you're gaming for hours already.

Ah, so interesting game list. Are you the one besides me who put Rise to Ruins in their TOP 50 list for the greatest game event? Because I was surprised to see it having two votes, I fully expected no one on this site knowing the game. I played Oxygen not Included recently, a bit stressful as some resources (Algae for instance) will not be produced and so I am forced to expand to find more. Songs of Syx is on my wishlist for quite some time now as well. Did you play Odd Realm, Against the Storm or the granddaddy of the colony sim games: Dwarf Fortress?

Yep, that second vote is from me. 16th spot to be exact. Oxygen not Included was 2nd, Songs of Syx is 37th, the Universim is 25th while I hadn't played Judgement yet when I made the list, but will be on the list this year., and Banished didn't make the cut because it really needs the colonial charter mod to get good and I considered that cheating a bit...

Odd Realm I got on Itch.io in some bundle. I like it but with the others I tend to forget about it a bit. Against the Storm I only got the demo so far. Dwarf fortress I played a bit, but those karps always destroyed my colony after a while...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

Yep, that second vote is from me. 16th spot to be exact. Oxygen not Included was 2nd, Songs of Syx is 37th, the Universim is 25th while I hadn't played Judgement yet when I made the list, but will be on the list this year., and Banished didn't make the cut because it really needs the colonial charter mod to get good and I considered that cheating a bit...

Odd Realm I got on Itch.io in some bundle. I like it but with the others I tend to forget about it a bit. Against the Storm I only got the demo so far. Dwarf fortress I played a bit, but those karps always destroyed my colony after a while...

LOL, Rise to Ruin is #15 on my list, so we both ranked it quite high. Oxygen I didn't play before I made the list, but it will rank lower than Rise, maybe making the TOP 50, maybe not, we will see. Judgment is also something I already acquired by now, but have yet to play. Songs of Syx will come before though, although it looks like I need to watch tutorials on Youtube to get it. Something I needed with Dwarf Fortress as well.

Odd Realm is kinda "cozy" for Colony Sims, it is quite easy to get a stable basic economy. But it also has the 3D worlds like Dwarf Fortress, while most games (Rimworld, Rise to Ruins, Oxygen not Included) reduce the levels to two dimensions. And it is quite nice to build towering structures or dig deep into the earth, make a pyramid or other stuff. That is kinda missing from the 2D games, although the often have some options to make nice camps. Clanfolk comes to mind here, it is such a game with focus on simulating early scottish clans. it has some nice decorations.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think I reached the limit of acceptable Destiny playtime. It wasn't severely impacting my life, but it was coming close.

I didn't have to force myself to quit though. There was just a wait for new content at some point that caused me to drift away for a bit. I came back to the game (and D2), but never went back down the rabbit hole.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

LOL, Rise to Ruin is #15 on my list, so we both ranked it quite high. Oxygen I didn't play before I made the list, but it will rank lower than Rise, maybe making the TOP 50, maybe not, we will see. Judgment is also something I already acquired by now, but have yet to play. Songs of Syx will come before though, although it looks like I need to watch tutorials on Youtube to get it. Something I needed with Dwarf Fortress as well.

Odd Realm is kinda "cozy" for Colony Sims, it is quite easy to get a stable basic economy. But it also has the 3D worlds like Dwarf Fortress, while most games (Rimworld, Rise to Ruins, Oxygen not Included) reduce the levels to two dimensions. And it is quite nice to build towering structures or dig deep into the earth, make a pyramid or other stuff. That is kinda missing from the 2D games, although the often have some options to make nice camps. Clanfolk comes to mind here, it is such a game with focus on simulating early scottish clans. it has some nice decorations.

To be fair, I'm playing Oxygen with quite a few mods, the vanilla experience is probably a bit different.

Songs of Syx got an update lately that greatly upgraded the graphics... and changed the economy around (Trees and stone piles award much more material than before and you can now build buildings without either using mud, but storage space got massively reduced), so I'm relearning how to play it effectively now.

Pokémon RBY/GSC/RSE
literally.

Had and still have all of them today. But back then, my mom threatened me with smashing them to dust with my fathers hammer if I continue to play them all the time.
... and not just once :D

If I wouldnt have stoped myself from playing them so much, they probably would have all suffered total annihilation by my mothers wrath.
*scary*

EverQuest is the only game that I had such an addiction to, that it was interfering with a healthy lifestyle.  After 9 or 10 years of hours and hours a day, I had to cut myself off.  I still miss the interaction with that world and the people in my guild.

As far as a console video game, the only games that I spent hours and hours looking for things to do after beating the game, just because I didn't want it to end, were Arkham City (Armored Edition) and Skyrim.

Have you ever thought about getting on Project 1999. WIthout getting addicted, I get one for a few hours a week to get that old time feeling. 

Granblue Fantasy Relink and Helldivers 2.