By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Earthbound 30th Anniversary Celebrations Planned by Nintendo

Still recent enough that I'm sharing this.

Nintendo has announced that they're planning to celebrate Earthbound's 30th anniversary this year. Not sure what's gonna happen, but it's nice of Nintendo to commemorate the anniversary of one of their more obscure classic games 

Around the Network

Probably some flippin keychain for MyNintendo Store in Japan. Not getting my hopes up at all.

What won't happen
-International Mother 3 release
What I'd like to happen
-EarthBound remake in the graphical style of the Link's Awakening remake or claymation. Even if it somehow doesn't launch this year, an announcement would be awesome.
-Soundtrack reprints on CD, Vinyl, and Digital download/streaming.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Nintendof Japan. Prob just some concert or something. Japan does things like this a lot and us hopeful western idiots like me and others. Keep hoping some real news will come out it. Rarely does that happen. Metal Gear Rising 10th was announced. Nothing. No news. No ports. Same with the recent SMT concerts where people thought a SMTV PS5 version would be announced. Nope. Expect nothing sadly. A concert and maybe sell a t shirt in Japan.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vodacixi said:

Probably some flippin keychain for MyNintendo Store in Japan. Not getting my hopes up at all.

True. Nintendo has dropped the ball on many anniversary celebrations the past few years. Just look at Donkey Kong's 40th anniversary.

Around the Network

That's nice and all, but I wish Nintendo was as celebratory over other 30th... or 40th, anniversaries...

archbrix said:

That's nice and all, but I wish Nintendo was as celebratory over other 30th... or 40th, anniversaries...

Same. Sometimes it feels like Nintendo stopped caring about franchises that aren't as big as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

The maximum someone could hope for is indeed a concert or simple merch that will only be easily available in Japan unless you wanna import things.

Although, I could see a few people praying for an Earthbound remake, I just don't see it.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Since it was Shigesato Itoi's Company, Hibonichi, that made the announcement regarding this I suspect that nothing big will happen, and certainly nothing outside Japan will happen.

New Merchandise
A unique event that "has never been done before."
An unspecified "collaboration with another event."

Nothing interesting for the rest of the World, unless you are a true Mother fan.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Gonna be nothing.