By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Xbox End their Generation Early?

What year should Xbox start the next generation?

2025 9 14.29%

2026 11 17.46%

2027 18 28.57%

2028 16 25.40%

2029 9 14.29%

Total:63
Bandorr said:
Norion said:

You're not taking audience reception into account though and that matters more. Forza and Starfield are both sitting at mostly negative recent reviews on Steam right now with the former being mostly negative with all of them. I'd for sure consider Forza Motorsport a dud based on the audience reception and would even consider Starfield that at this point at least somewhat with how increasingly negative its reception has got in the past couple months. The biggest Xbox release since 2021 becoming a bit of a punching bag is rough for the brand. There was good stuff this year like Hi-Fi Rush but Starfield being received the way it has overshadows that with how big a title it is and how much hype it had.

The Forza thing surprises me. It won a couple awards at the game show - so I thought it was doing well.  Then I read on another site a thread about things xbox needs to fix and I saw at least 5 people talking about Forza.

So I just looked it up on steam and wow it's sitting at mostly negative. Both recent and All reviews.

So their three most recently released games (Redfall, Forza, Starfield) are all sitting on mostly negative.

So the game shadow-released is cult favorite, and the three games with any advertising are bombing with fans on steam. There is something to learn from that.

Yeah soon after it finished I checked the Forza subreddit out of curiosity and the post about it winning the best sports/racing game category called the Game Awards a joke so that says a lot. 

smroadkill15 said:
Norion said:

You're not taking audience reception into account though and that matters more. Forza and Starfield are both sitting at mostly negative recent reviews on Steam right now with the former being mostly negative with all of them. I'd for sure consider Forza Motorsport a dud based on the audience reception and would even consider Starfield that at this point at least somewhat with how increasingly negative its reception has got in the past couple months. The biggest Xbox release since 2021 becoming a bit of a punching bag is rough for the brand. There was good stuff this year like Hi-Fi Rush but Starfield being received the way it has overshadows that with how big a title it is and how much hype it had.

Audience reception can be deceiving at times. Sometimes it's trolling, while it can be over inflated and under inflated. I personally enjoyed my time with Starfield after 85 hours. Easy 8.5/10 for me. I'll revisit again later on. I played Forza Motorsport. Another game I enjoyed, but I'm not a car enthusiasts. From what I understand, most players biggest issue with Forza Motorsport was other players online. While the actual driving felt great overall. Redfall I thought was terrible. HifiRush was my favorite game all year until I beat Alan Wake 2. I really don't care about Steam user scores since I didn't play any of these on Steam and have to worry about optimization. 

Did you play any of these games yourself or just what you heard? 

It can be though with something like Starfield it's not hard to notice things like the Steam reviews, just how many negative youtube videos have been made about it and how whenever it gets mentioned on Reddit it's usually in a negative way. It's cool you enjoyed both Starfield and Forza Motorsport but a lot of people found them disappointing or even bad so while quantity wasn't an issue this year reception was which is a big problem for the brand that needs fixed for there to be any chance of Xbox making a recovery in the coming years.

I haven't played them but I don't see why that's relevant since you don't need to experience something to notice how it's being received and comment on that aspect. Like I haven't watched any recent MCU films but I know that lately they've been doing a lot worse than before for the most part.

Last edited by Norion - on 27 December 2023

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
curl-6 said:

Clearly not enough people do though, if we look at Xbox Series sales. 

You may find it "tired" but it's the truth. What's tired is their repeated promises that they'll do better, only to continue to under-deliver.

Whether they decide to release a new Xbox or not will make no difference if their first party output remains weak. At this point, they're probably better off doing what Sony did with the PS3 and trying to ride it out and regain their audience's trust instead of risking pissing off the few who did stick with them by cutting the Series short.

Who in this thread is disagreeing with you? Lol. That's why it's tired. Once again, they had a solid year in game releases this year. They have a nice lineup of games already lined up for next year. Their lineup being weak is a personal opinion, not a fact. Ps5 was selling this year even when they had no big 1st party games until Spiderman 2. Xbox had more consistent releases all year. At the end of the day, ps5 is able to sell huge numbers off brand power alone, while Xbox doesn't have that luxury. Expect Xbox to match this is simply unrealistic. 

Xbox could ride it out. Is releasing in 2026 vs 2027 really going to make a difference in regaining trust? As long as Xbox has consistent releases between now and then, this is more important. 

Their lineup being weak is not just personal opinion; their poor sales clearly demonstrate it. 

And it's not just about brand power, Sony have built up goodwill with their audience; people will overlook them having a weak year because they know from their track record that in the long run they will deliver. Xbox haven't earned that goodwill.

A year can make a significant difference to people's perceptions, and more than that, if they release too early they run the risk of getting Dreamcasted by a more powerful PS6.

Norion said:
Bandorr said:

The Forza thing surprises me. It won a couple awards at the game show - so I thought it was doing well.  Then I read on another site a thread about things xbox needs to fix and I saw at least 5 people talking about Forza.

So I just looked it up on steam and wow it's sitting at mostly negative. Both recent and All reviews.

So their three most recently released games (Redfall, Forza, Starfield) are all sitting on mostly negative.

So the game shadow-released is cult favorite, and the three games with any advertising are bombing with fans on steam. There is something to learn from that.

Yeah soon after it finished I checked the Forza subreddit out of curiosity and the post about it winning the best sports/racing game category called the Game Awards a joke so that says a lot. 

smroadkill15 said:

Audience reception can be deceiving at times. Sometimes it's trolling, while it can be over inflated and under inflated. I personally enjoyed my time with Starfield after 85 hours. Easy 8.5/10 for me. I'll revisit again later on. I played Forza Motorsport. Another game I enjoyed, but I'm not a car enthusiasts. From what I understand, most players biggest issue with Forza Motorsport was other players online. While the actual driving felt great overall. Redfall I thought was terrible. HifiRush was my favorite game all year until I beat Alan Wake 2. I really don't care about Steam user scores since I didn't play any of these on Steam and have to worry about optimization. 

It can be though with something like Starfield it's not hard to notice things like the Steam reviews, just how many negative youtube videos have been made about it and how whenever it gets mentioned on Reddit it's usually in a negative way. It's cool you enjoyed both Starfield and Forza Motorsport but a lot of people found them disappointing or even bad so while quantity wasn't an issue this year reception was which is a big problem for the brand that needs fixed for there to be any chance of Xbox making a recovery in the coming years.

I haven't played them but I don't see why that's relevant since you don't need to experience something to notice how it's being received and comment on that aspect. Like I haven't watched any recent MCU films but I know that lately they've been doing a lot worse than before for the most part.

I just wanted to add to this both for customer reviews and general perception with this yr's movies that bombed.

Companies have basically resorted to not admitting they made bad films, instead opting to just blame the consumers/fans and citing the negative reviews as "bait/review bombing". Same happened with Starfield, people at first claimed it was review bombing, then the youtube videos came out and suddenly it's "haters".

The glaring and sheer denial of the opposite group is kind of astounding, like I have not played SF nor watched many movies this year, but even I am able to discern that Starfield is what it is, and it is not all that great/memorable. I also know that the MCU movies outside of the main cast have been doing terrible at the box office, and sales data and public reception both become important factors to weigh in, and yet companies and zealous fans deny both sets of data...

These days, despite some reviews out there being either a joke or a troll, I still find overall public reviews and perception to being quite important, because well...they are the ones buying the tickets, buying the games, the songs, the ones who pay to sub. I would rather take on 100 user public reviews over paid ones that also happen to be sponsored, or via TGA show.

Despite what people may love/like about Starfield or these MCU movies, both are in dire need of being fixed for future instalments, because public perception wanes and sales will go down over time. I'm even seeing ppl who are now far, far less enthusiastic about TES VI after what Starfield turned out to be (I kinda lost a good chunk during Fallout 76, but SF killed what hope I had left).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Norion said:
Bandorr said:

smroadkill15 said:

I'm not sure why it's such a divisive take to enjoy Starfield or any other xbox games for that matter. If this was a multiplatform game like Hogwarts, hardly anyone would care to disagree if I said I enjoyed it, especially one that reviewed positively by critics. You feel one way and I feel another. I'm not even a Bethesda enthusiast my any means. Starfield is the first of their games I spent more than 4 hours playing lol. I've always enjoyed their other studio games way more like; Doom, Evil Within, and Dishonored. I'm not ignoring the issues the game has. I just found the highs outweigh the negatives. I'm not the only person to feels this way.

It's funny how Starfield is still so relevant in the news cycle for a game considered bad. While any other game after this amount of time people would move on. 

(This is not targeted at anyone just a general reply)

People had legit criticisms of Starfield and Bethesda responded to them with Chatgpt responses (literally) telling them hey fuck your, you're wrong (figuratively). Say what you want about Gungrave. Not the time or place here to get into why it's a misunderstood game/series but regardless. Look at the two responses. You know what the crazy thing is. Since its launch, Iggymob has been this way and has made countless changes to Gungrave GORE to make it better. It's a different game from launch in a lot of ways. They listened to fans and responded by making the game better. Tiny studio in Korea. First major console game.

Bethesda on the other hand is one of the biggest AAA devs. Countless games under their belt. Thousands of people on staff. What do they do? Use ChatGPT to tell people to fuck off.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Norion said:
smroadkill15 said:

I'm not sure why it's such a divisive take to enjoy Starfield or any other xbox games for that matter. If this was a multiplatform game like Hogwarts, hardly anyone would care to disagree if I said I enjoyed it, especially one that reviewed positively by critics. You feel one way and I feel another. I'm not even a Bethesda enthusiast my any means. Starfield is the first of their games I spent more than 4 hours playing lol. I've always enjoyed their other studio games way more like; Doom, Evil Within, and Dishonored. I'm not ignoring the issues the game has. I just found the highs outweigh the negatives. I'm not the only person to feels this way.

It's funny how Starfield is still so relevant in the news cycle for a game considered bad. While any other game after this amount of time people would move on. 

I mean it's not any other Xbox game, ones like Hi-Fi Rush and Horizon 5 are both well liked. If you feel another way do you mean you think the game has been well received by people overall? If so I'm curious why cause I don't see it.

I should probably add, in case my posts came off as overly aggressive or negative, that it's not my intention to troll Xbox here.

I simply want them to do better, because I feel strong competition benefits the consumers, and I miss the 360 days when Xbox provided an awesome and competitive experience. (360 is actually one of my favourite consoles of all time)

I'm actually considering getting a Series myself, it's just frustrating to watch them constantly drop the ball for so long.

Norion said:
smroadkill15 said:

I mean it's not any other Xbox game, ones like Hi-Fi Rush and Horizon 5 are both well liked. If you feel another way do you mean you think the game has been well received by people overall? If so I'm curious why cause I don't see it.

It is in fact well received overall by critics and audiences.
Steam scores have 85K positive reviews and 50k disliked reviews: Overall well received.
Xbox store user review 3.5/5: Overall well received.
Metacritic: Xbox critic score 83, PC critic score 86, user score 70: Overall well received.
Best Buy user score 4.6/5: Overall well received.
Amazon user score 4.2/5: Overall well received. 
Target user score 4.5/5: Overall well received. 
Walmart user score 4.5/5: Overall well received.
Opencritic 85/100: Overall well received.

There is no way any influencer and gaming journalist would use Starfield, a divisive game before it even released, as a way to garner views and clicks. There is no way the internet would overreact to any of it. There is no way anyone would use Starfield to console war or troll. There is no way several people in a thread who hadn't played the game would act like they know better than someone who did. Or maybe the hate for Starfield is overblown a bit. 

curl-6 said:

I should probably add, in case my posts came off as overly aggressive or negative, that it's not my intention to troll Xbox here.

I simply want them to do better, because I feel strong competition benefits the consumers, and I miss the 360 days when Xbox provided an awesome and competitive experience. (360 is actually one of my favourite consoles of all time)

I'm actually considering getting a Series myself, it's just frustrating to watch them constantly drop the ball for so long.

That's all fine and dandy to want Xbox to do better. I do too of course. Saying Xbox had a bad year in game releases is disingenuous and isn't constructive in anyway. You didn't even play any of these games so I'm not sure how you can act like you know any of these things. Then defend Sony for having an "off year" because they earned it. Shits wild to me.  

smroadkill15 said:
curl-6 said:

That's all fine and dandy to want Xbox to do better. I do too of course. Saying Xbox had a bad year in game releases is disingenuous and isn't constructive in anyway. You didn't even play any of these games so I'm not sure how you can act like you know any of these things. Then defend Sony for having an "off year" because they earned it. Shits wild to me.  

I didn't say their games this year couldn't be enjoyable, but in terms of selling Xboxes, it is a weak lineup, as shown by their sales.

I'm not fan of Sony, but it's a fact that they currently have built up more goodwill with gamers than Microsoft, that's why PS is oustelling Xbox by more than 3:1 in the weekly charts.