By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the launch titles for Nintendo's Next Console?

What will be the launch title for Nintendo's Next Console?

3D Mario 26 53.06%

Mario Kart X 13 26.53%

Metroid Prime 4 5 10.20%

Super Smash Brothers 1 2.04%

Pokémon: Let's Go Johto! 1 2.04%

New Experimental Game (Tech Demo) 1 2.04%

Donkey Kong 3D 0 0%

Other (Specify below) 2 4.08%

Total:49
Shtinamin_ said:

Has anyone heard any news about a new Super Monkey Ball, a New Monster Hunter, and a new Pokémon game as the launch titles?
Just wondering, are any Zippo related leaks/rumor credible?
Obviously its fun to talk and speculate about what will be based on rumors, but just want to know for future reference. Thx :)

He's pretty hit and miss.  He's gotten some things right, like 2D Metroid and 2D Mario being featured at their corresponding Directs but he's gotten plenty wrong as well.  Then there are things he came close with:  He predicted a Mario Baseball game - to which Strikers was announced shortly thereafter, and he stated that a Chrono Trigger remake was coming to Switch, but we got a different Square SNES RPG remake instead.  I think Zippo does hear things but he seems to post rumors a bit prematurely unlike other sources like Jeff Grubb, Emily Rogers or that person on Twitter with the bird avatar (can't remember the name) who tend to keep rumors close to the chest until they're highly credible.

Around the Network

I just want a good StarFox.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I really doubt they’ll be another Lets Go Pokemon game. I think it was more a one time thing due to the popularity and success of Pokemon Go to get adopters of Go to try out Pokemon on the Switch ahead of the release of Sword and Shield.
Preferably would want to see a sequel to Pokemon Legends Arceus. Most Pokemon regions have some ancient legends or ruins that could be built into a plotline, like the Ruins of Alph in Johto, as well as the Burned Tower.

SecondWar said:

I really doubt they’ll be another Lets Go Pokemon game. I think it was more a one time thing due to the popularity and success of Pokemon Go to get adopters of Go to try out Pokemon on the Switch ahead of the release of Sword and Shield.
Preferably would want to see a sequel to Pokemon Legends Arceus. Most Pokemon regions have some ancient legends or ruins that could be built into a plotline, like the Ruins of Alph in Johto, as well as the Burned Tower.

I think it is a possibility to get another Let's GO. But my only source is game units sold (I want to compare to all remakes, Legends, and all Switch games)

Sword & Shield26.02M
Scarlet & Violet23.23M
Let's GO Pikachu          Let's GO Eevee15.07M
Brilliant Diamond    Shining Pearl14.92M
Legends: Arceus14.83M
Omega Ruby              Alpha Sapphire14.27M
HeartGold & SoulSilver12.72M
FireRed & LeafGreen12M

Let's GO is the 3rd most selling Pokémon game on the Switch
Let's GO is the #1 most selling remake Pokémon game

Solely based on this I think is enough evidence for The Pokémon Company to see the importance of the Let's GO series and continue it.

Either way, if its a Legends or a Let's GO, I really want some Johto region soon.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Lol, are we seriously mentioning Zippo ?! That "leaker" has been pumping everything he could think of or plagiarize off better sources.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Lol, are we seriously mentioning Zippo ?! That "leaker" has been pumping everything he could think of or plagiarize off better sources.

What wrong with mentioning someone who has been expressing ideas (granted not his own but at least can generate some imagination, though plagiarism is condoned).

Anyway lets move away from that.

I think that 3D Mario is the most likely candidate.
And they might as well port MP4 to it.
Nintendo said they will support the Switch with software until March 2025. So any game that releases in the holiday will also be a Switch game (except the 3D Mario and other HUGE titles).
And Nintendo will have their experimental fun game to show off the next consoles abilities, the Experimental Department's last game was Everybody 1-2 Switch, so they may want to take a more captivating game. I want to say something like Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (I recommend replaying those with someone, they are still a blast) but something that will showcase the hardware capabilities of the GPU, CPU, RAM, etc... Something that demonstrates to developers around the world that Nintendo is a viable options to bring games to.

Those will be the next consoles day one Nintendo published games, according to my guestimations.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

I don't think 3D Mario + Metroid is enough to carry the Switch 2.

Mario Kart is bigger than all of those, Mario Kart is frankly the biggest Nintendo franchise by a mile dwarfing any Mario platformer at this point. It should be priority no.1 to have out for day 1 on Switch 2 if Nintendo truly wants a successful early product cycle for the Switch 2 which is comparable to the Switch 1.

Mario 3D alone ain't gonna do it and Metroid Prime is small potatoes (sorry Metroid fans) in the wide appeal sector.

Mario Kart you will want for NSO subscriptions as well. It just makes sense to have it day 1 and then have it grow with more and more tracks as time goes on and to lock people in to have to continually be subscribed to NSO to get new tracks.

There is going to be a Donkey Kong game of some sort to coincide with theme park launch too, that's definitely going to happen. 

Soundwave said:

I don't think 3D Mario + Metroid is enough to carry the Switch 2.

Mario Kart is bigger than all of those, Mario Kart is frankly the biggest Nintendo franchise by a mile dwarfing any Mario platformer at this point. It should be priority no.1 to have out for day 1 on Switch 2 if Nintendo truly wants a successful early product cycle for the Switch 2 which is comparable to the Switch 1.

Mario 3D alone ain't gonna do it and Metroid Prime is small potatoes (sorry Metroid fans) in the wide appeal sector.

Mario Kart you will want for NSO subscriptions as well. It just makes sense to have it day 1 and then have it grow with more and more tracks as time goes on and to lock people in to have to continually be subscribed to NSO to get new tracks.

There is going to be a Donkey Kong game of some sort to coincide with theme park launch too, that's definitely going to happen. 

Sure, but remember, the launch hype of a new system with some good titles doesn't need that silver bullet right out of the gate to put up good numbers.  Better for them to save it until the beginning of the next fiscal year or so (around May perhaps, similar to TOTK) to keep the momentum going.

DK, I believe, is still a finished Switch 1 game that would be better suited for that 140m+ user base than it would to show off a new console.  The theme park is set to open in the Spring and I don't think that Switch 2 will be out by then.

Last edited by archbrix - on 16 December 2023

My thoughts

• At the moment, I'm assuming Nintendo will release the Super Switch or Switch 2 in Q4 2024 or Q1 2025.
  • Nintendo has generally tried to get a 3D Super Mario out within the first year or so for every possible platform since the N64. This doesn't make it a guaranteed launch title, but does make it a cnadidate.
  • Normally I'd say that Mario Kart 9 was a likely launch window title, but the MK8 Booster Pass makes me think that it could be some ways away.
  • Metroid Prime 4 would be a good candidate for a cross-gen release... if I had any confidence that it will ever get released. Alternatively, 2024's Pokemon game might be a cross-gen game, although it is more likely to just be on Switch if B2W2 and USUM are any indicators.
  • We will get at least one early casual game in the vein of Wii Sports, 1-2-Switch, Nintendo Land, Nintendogs, etc. Additionally, an early Mario Party is likely.
  • Mario Maker 3 could be a viable launch window game, based on the projected 5 year gap between releases and the popularity of the first two games.
  • Camelot is roughly due for a new game in 2024, but maybe it can be a Switch 2 game instead?
  • Grezzo has been quiet lately...

Salnax said:

My thoughts

• At the moment, I'm assuming Nintendo will release the Super Switch or Switch 2 in Q4 2024 or Q1 2025.
  • Nintendo has generally tried to get a 3D Super Mario out within the first year or so for every possible platform since the N64. This doesn't make it a guaranteed launch title, but does make it a cnadidate.
  • Normally I'd say that Mario Kart 9 was a likely launch window title, but the MK8 Booster Pass makes me think that it could be some ways away.
  • Metroid Prime 4 would be a good candidate for a cross-gen release... if I had any confidence that it will ever get released. Alternatively, 2024's Pokemon game might be a cross-gen game, although it is more likely to just be on Switch if B2W2 and USUM are any indicators.
  • We will get at least one early casual game in the vein of Wii Sports, 1-2-Switch, Nintendo Land, Nintendogs, etc. Additionally, an early Mario Party is likely.
  • Mario Maker 3 could be a viable launch window game, based on the projected 5 year gap between releases and the popularity of the first two games.
  • Camelot is roughly due for a new game in 2024, but maybe it can be a Switch 2 game instead?
  • Grezzo has been quiet lately...

That's another thing that I considered.  Mario Kart 8 Deluxe just... won't... die.  And the fact that its final update only just released makes me think that 2024 may be one more year it has to reign unaffected by a sequel, allowing it to sell a few more million in the process.