By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the launch titles for Nintendo's Next Console?

What will be the launch title for Nintendo's Next Console?

3D Mario 26 53.06%

Mario Kart X 13 26.53%

Metroid Prime 4 5 10.20%

Super Smash Brothers 1 2.04%

Pokémon: Let's Go Johto! 1 2.04%

New Experimental Game (Tech Demo) 1 2.04%

Donkey Kong 3D 0 0%

Other (Specify below) 2 4.08%

Total:49
archbrix said:

Odyssey has proven that 3D Mario sales are nothing to sneeze at when it's such a quality title. It's no Mario Kart, but not even a new Pokemon game's sales can touch Kart today. A brand new 3D Mario game that is demonstrative of the new system's capabilities would be a great launch title, and it surely wouldn't be Nintendo's only game for the fall.

Honestly, I'm not sure Switch 2 necessarily needs Mario Kart on launch day. I can only imagine the level of shortages we'll see for Switch 2's first holiday. Having your alpha title come out when the system is at its most difficult to find could prove to be less effective than launching it several months later when the install base has grown a bit, the system is more readily obtainable and the anticipation has grown even more.

Nintendo should be careful, the economy is a problem these days, people are not buying luxury goods as much it seems like, at least it seems like game consoles are bearing the brunt of some of that. It doesn't look to me like Sony is going to hit their forecast of 25 million PS5s unless they overship and stuff their retail channels and that's with a new PS5 Slim model this fall and exclusive Spider-Man 2, XBox sales have collapsed, Switch sales are declining. It looks like things like iPhone sales have declined year over year too. That inflation + sky high interest rates are making people ask if they really need a new iPhone, game console, etc. etc. this year I think. 

Better safe than sorry. 

A Mario Kart game shouldn't need 4-5 years of development and there's no excuse for Nintendo to not have been developing it for about 3 years now. What possibly project would be something that should be a bigger priority than Mario Kart? 

Especially if the system is $400, you better err on the side of caution and have as good of a launch as you can. I would want both Mario Kart + 3D Mario in the first 4-5 months if I'm Furukawa. Don't fuck around and screw this up by being loosey goosey, that's the attitude that got Nintendo into a world of trouble with the 3DS and Wii U launches. 

There should be an intense fire in Nintendo's belly to prove they can follow up a successful system because they failed miserably with the Wii U and 3DS launch years. They have a lot to prove, don't be stupid and assume anything is in the bag for you, take nothing for granted. It's going to be difficult to repeat the success of the Switch. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 16 December 2023

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:
archbrix said:

Sure, but remember, the launch hype of a new system with some good titles doesn't need that silver bullet right out of the gate to put up good numbers.  Better for them to save it until the beginning of the next fiscal year or so (around May perhaps, similar to TOTK) to keep the momentum going.

DK, I believe, is still a finished Switch 1 game that would be better suited for that 140m+ user base than it would to show off a new console.  The theme park is set to open in the Spring and I don't think that Switch 2 will be out by then.

Where is the information regarding DK game? Is it the opening of Donkey Kong Country in Universal Studios Japan?
We could be hit with a DKC4 for Switch and a 3D DK for the NG, same year.

I would love for that to be the case.

Details about a new DK game differ depending on who you listen to.  One rumor suggests that Activision was developing a 3D DK game that was eventually scrapped by Nintendo and pulled back to EPD Tokyo for development.  Others say that the game is actually 2D, or at least 2.5D.  So who really knows.  One thing is for sure though:  Nintendo would be foolish not to have a full DK game of some kind next year.

Wman1996 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Would rather it was a new Donkey Kong Country, but it's more likely to be Mario Kart X.

Depending on when Switch 2 launches, Donkey Kong could still come to Switch first. The theme park area is scheduled for Spring 2024 (Q2 then) and what better way to celebrate than have a new DK game within 6 months of the opening.

On the other hand, considering that it's pretty likely that Switch 2 is coming out Q4 2024 or Q1 2025, that would still be recent enough to save DK for the next system. 

Either is good enough for me, so long as a new Donkey Kong game actually happens.

HyrulianScrolls said:

Regarding Pokemon, it was VERY clear gf had no ability to develop for a console like Switch in such short dev times this gen. Add a far more powerful hardware into the mix when they still don’t even know how to develop for home consoles circa 2008, and it will be a disaster if they don’t take their time with the next game (gen X). I think Nintendo is well aware of this now as well and won’t let them pump out broken garbage for the next Switch either.

S/Vs sales were extremely concerning in how massive it opened and then cliff dived. The reception definitely hurt. A game like that launching on a console with a mere fraction of the install base S/V launched on could be an outright disaster for the franchise. Nintendo’s not gonna let it happen. Why I say 2027 for Gen X and in the meantime we get Gen V remakes along the way by a different dev

Pokemon sales cliff diving is not something new. Pokemon Sun and Moon shipped 10 million in one day, to sell 16 million lifetime. Pokemon games quality has been whack for many generations now and Nintendo has never done anything. Why will they do it now? 

^^^RE

Edit: ugh, this forums quote feature on mobile is broken as hell

Before Gen 9 it was just old fans complaining that  the formula was stale. Thats way different than everyone universally agreeing S/V were broken as hell. The franchise rep definitely took a hit. S/V were poised to be 35+ sellers easily based on hype and how Sw/Sh + Arceus held with much better reception, but won’t get anywhere near that. The fall off was not just organic. SuMo had some unusual circumstances coming at the very end of 3ds and the year PoGo broke out huge that led to it being so frontloaded.

It’s arguably the point where many old fans fell off as well due to staleness. I don’t think Nintendo is oblivious they are driving the franchise to a breaking point if they let GF keep going like this, opposed to making a truly great game again that would blow the hell up and probably sell a crapton of Switch 2s too. The choice is obvious. 

Around the Network

I don’t understand sales expectations for Pokémon S/V. I think the sales are fine. I don’t think even Nintendo were expecting 35+ million LTD for those games. I’m sure they would’ve liked it, !75 doubt that they’re complaining about S/V already being close to the 3rd best selling games in the main series, if not already.

Anyway, I’m kinda more interested in what third party titles will be at launch for a potential Switch 2. I would like to see games like Street Fighter VI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Elden Ring, Sekiro, modern Resident Evil, Tales of Arise, etc. come to Switch 2. Just not sure which ones will actually be launch titles or titles that will come to the platform at all. RDR2, Mass Effect trilogy, and even Cyberpunk 2077 are also potential games.

HyrulianScrolls said:

^^^RE

Edit: ugh, this forums quote feature on mobile is broken as hell

Before Gen 9 it was just old fans complaining that  the formula was stale. Thats way different than everyone universally agreeing S/V were broken as hell. The franchise rep definitely took a hit. S/V were poised to be 35+ sellers easily based on hype and how Sw/Sh + Arceus held with much better reception, but won’t get anywhere near that. The fall off was not just organic. SuMo had some unusual circumstances coming at the very end of 3ds and the year PoGo broke out huge that led to it being so frontloaded.

It’s arguably the point where many old fans fell off as well due to staleness. I don’t think Nintendo is oblivious they are driving the franchise to a breaking point if they let GF keep going like this, opposed to making a truly great game again that would blow the hell up and probably sell a crapton of Switch 2s too. The choice is obvious. 

The franchise's reputation has been hit for at least 3 generations already. Pokemon XY was the last one to enjoy good legs. Sun and Moon have poor legs even without any big let down, and even well-liked games like Black and White didn't enjoy good legs, 11 million one month after debut and only 15 million lifetime. It's a recurrent problem here

SwSh reception was shit, the game was almost universally agreed as mediocre

Games quality impacts primarily Word of Mouth, but Pokemon is probably the gaming franchise that depends the least on Word of Mouth because Pokemon games legs since the third generation are nothing to write about. We can breakdown Pokemon purchases in two big groups: 

1) The absolute majority of sales from Pokemon come from its fandom, which is extremely strong, and often don't even play games besides Pokemon or simply don't have gaming as their primary hobby.

2) Pokemon is also a very strong Christmas gift because it's easy to market on TV and in stores. You can see except by Arceus no Pokemon game since Black and White missed Christmas windows, and no wonder it was the one that sold the least, less than Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, and mind Arceus was a game that was praised by fans

Scarlet/Violet opening sales were stronger because it was released in a huge platform, so group 2 here was massive, bigger than when Sw/Sh was released. But once Christmas windows passed the sales died because this is how the IP sales behavior for the last 8 years (even more so, if you forget XY). If Nintendo was dissatisfied with their current sales pattern they would have intervened already. I doubt Nintendo cares to "fix" Pokemon in any way

Kai_Mao said:

I don’t understand sales expectations for Pokémon S/V. I think the sales are fine. I don’t think even Nintendo were expecting 35+ million LTD for those games. I’m sure they would’ve liked it, !75 doubt that they’re complaining about S/V already being close to the 3rd best selling games in the main series, if not already.

Anyway, I’m kinda more interested in what third party titles will be at launch for a potential Switch 2. I would like to see games like Street Fighter VI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Elden Ring, Sekiro, modern Resident Evil, Tales of Arise, etc. come to Switch 2. Just not sure which ones will actually be launch titles or titles that will come to the platform at all. RDR2, Mass Effect trilogy, and even Cyberpunk 2077 are also potential games.

I think they just are not familiar with the sales pattern of the IP. Scarlet behaves like a standard Pokemon game. Except it had a far stronger opening, this was Switch boom in action 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kai_Mao said:

I think they just are not familiar with the sales pattern of the IP. Scarlet behaves like a standard Pokemon game. Except it had a far stronger opening, this was Switch boom in action 

It’s like with TOTK and comparing its sales with BOTW. People are up and arms about whether it can come close to BOTW’s sales after its latest sales update. It took BOTW 7 years to reach the sales it has and TOTK just needs to be given the same chance of having legs as it’s only been about 7 months since it released.

S/V were the first time the games were a broken mess and the media awareness of it was huge. Nintendo would be beyond foolish to think the franchise won’t take damage with another COD style churn out that doesn’t satisfy people on an install base that will be the fraction of Switch size. There’s no reason to risk that rather than making GF take their time to make an actual well liked game instead. Plenty of other teams can handle remakes in the meantime