By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the launch titles for Nintendo's Next Console?

What will be the launch title for Nintendo's Next Console?

3D Mario 26 53.06%

Mario Kart X 13 26.53%

Metroid Prime 4 5 10.20%

Super Smash Brothers 1 2.04%

Pokémon: Let's Go Johto! 1 2.04%

New Experimental Game (Tech Demo) 1 2.04%

Donkey Kong 3D 0 0%

Other (Specify below) 2 4.08%

Total:49

Launch September
3D Mario, my bet it's called Super Mario Kingdoms and includes a DK section as also a Yoshi Island.
A 'gimmick' game, possibly augmented reality using Pikmins.

October
Metroid Prime4, probably cross gen.
A Ubisoft game. I don't know what, but Ubisoft supports Nintendo platforms well.
Resident evil4 port, possibly Streetfighter6 port.

November
New Mario Party or any other kind of party game.
Pokomon handheld remakes as Switch game. If no backwards compatibility, then cross gen release

2025: Mario Kart, Zelda remake or remaster, Mario Sportsgame, Luigi Mansion4, Pokomon gen 11, Monster Hunter Wilds and a lot of other 3th party ports.

Around the Network

3D Mario
Mario Kat 8 Super Deluxe with all dlc courses
Some sort of gimmick game to show off the new hardware similar to SnipperClipps or Arms.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom with slight visual bump and 60fps

Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 is ready at launch or near launch.

rapsuperstar31 said:

3D Mario
Some sort of gimmick game to show off the new hardware similar to SnipperClipps or Arms.

Hmmm, I'm going to doubt this one unless Nintendo is comfortable waiting until 2027 or later for the next main Mario Kart, which is highly unlikely. 

If Nintendo launches 8 Super Deluxe and then launches the next main game (9 or 10 or whatever) a year to year and a half-later, it would probably hurt the sales of both titles. 

That's why it's almost 2024 and there's been no new mainline Mario Kart (unless Tour somehow is mainline) since 2014. Nintendo had to have realized that releasing a console follow-up to 8 Deluxe by now would have greatly reduced sales and would be far more expensive. 

I find Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DX way more likely than yet another version of MK8 because we've had no announcement yet of a new Smash and Ultimate released more recently than 8 Deluxe. It's some of those factors combined and Sakurai said recently that the next Smash still has to be figured out. This could mean...

1. Sakurai is outright lying and the next Smash is well into development

2. The next Smash is in early development

3. The next Smash is in super early concept/development

Keep in mind Sakurai knows people love the "Everyone Is Here!" aspect and knows it's not sustainable. What better reason to have Ultimate DX on the next-gen while we wait for Smash 6? It's pretty much guaranteed to sell 10 million and probably wouldn't hurt Smash 6 much. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I find Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DX way more likely than yet another version of MK8 because we've had no announcement yet of a new Smash and Ultimate released more recently than 8 Deluxe. It's some of those factors combined and Sakurai said recently that the next Smash still has to be figured out. This could mean...

Keep in mind Sakurai knows people love the "Everyone Is Here!" aspect and knows it's not sustainable. What better reason to have Ultimate DX on the next-gen while we wait for Smash 6? It's pretty much guaranteed to sell 10 million and probably wouldn't hurt Smash 6 much. 

Agree a Smash Ultimate DX is likely for the reasons you mention. I would expect a new 'season' pass with new characters and who knows perhaps a new story.

Tober said:

Launch September
3D Mario, my bet it's called Super Mario Kingdoms and includes a DK section as also a Yoshi Island.

October
A Ubisoft game. I don't know what, but Ubisoft supports Nintendo platforms well.

November
Pokomon handheld remakes as Switch game. If no backwards compatibility, then cross gen release

2025: Mario Kart, Zelda remake or remaster, Mario Sportsgame, Luigi Mansion4, Pokomon gen 11, Monster Hunter Wilds and a lot of other 3th party ports.

Don't forget Microsoft has a deal with Nintendo to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo consoles for the next 10 years. So October 2024 will have a Call of Duty release on the NG (what I call Nintendo's Next Gaming console).

So are you assuming that we will have Gen 10 pokémon in 2024? The Pokémon Company releases new generations in waves of 3 years. 
Only counting years for simplicity:
Red/Blue 1996
Gold/Silver 1999
Ruby/Saphire 2002
Diamond/Pearl 2006 (thought to be the last Pokémon game, which is why I think it took 4 years)
Black/White 2010 (I got no logical explanation why it took so long)
X/Y 2013
Sun/Moon 2016
Sword/Shield 2019
Scarlet/Violet 2022

Plus the Pokémon Company had a COO stating a possibility of taking their time to develop the next generations of games. So I assume that Gen 10 will be 4 year between Scarlet and Violet, giving us a Gen 10 release in 2026. But if they don't take their time and continue the 3 year schedule then yes 2025 will be Gen 10 (I assume you meant gen 10 and not 11).

Wman1996 said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

3D Mario

Hmmm, I'm going to doubt this one unless Nintendo is comfortable waiting until 2027 or later for the next main Mario Kart, which is highly unlikely. 

If Nintendo launches 8 Super Deluxe and then launches the next main game (9 or 10 or whatever) a year to year and a half-later, it would probably hurt the sales of both titles. 

That's why it's almost 2024 and there's been no new mainline Mario Kart (unless Tour somehow is mainline) since 2014. Nintendo had to have realized that releasing a console follow-up to 8 Deluxe by now would have greatly reduced sales and would be far more expensive. 

Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe might not be happening considering the rumors (reliable-ish as rumors go) that the next game is in development and it will be the the most expensive game Nintendo will be developing.

Sakurai has expressed interest in helping Nintendo anyway possible. Anything can happen when it comes to Sakurai :)

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

Has anyone heard any news about a new Super Monkey Ball, a New Monster Hunter, and a new Pokémon game as the launch titles?
Just wondering, are any Zippo related leaks/rumor credible?
Obviously its fun to talk and speculate about what will be based on rumors, but just want to know for future reference. Thx :)

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Just because you called it Mario Kart X I'll have to vote for 3D Mario instead (but I think Mario Kart is most likely)

I only did so because we will be on the 10th installment of Mario Kart in the series. And they've been numbering them recently, and no one uses 10 except microsoft, plus X feels more "future-related".

I'm not saying those are the names of the games, but I can make some educated guesses (they'll most likely be wrong).
What should the next Mario Kart be called?

I would put money on them not calling it X, that’s WAY too confusing of marketing for the casual public after how massive 8 was. That crowd isn’t gonna realize Tour exists and will probably find the name confusing.

Id give MK9 a better but extremely low chance as well though. As I mentioned, I think they call it MK World since I am convinced there will be some kind of online hub open world. It’s the only thing that really makes sense for how they evolve it after a decade and Borizon games have found huge success with this. 

My prediction for how the heavy hitters shake out if it were to launch in early 2025:

25: Kart, Party, Metroid, 3D Mario

26: Gen 5 Remake, Ocarina Remake, Ls Mansion, Animal Crossing (feel very strongly about a full blown OoT remake happening to quench the long wait to new 3D Zelda. Won’t be surprised if it’s FF7 ish in being a massive update rather than just remake)

27: Splatoon, Pokemon Gen X (bold prediction here but I think GF takes a full 5 years to make a true next gen evolution of the franchise that will go absolutely nuts in sales like BotW did for Zelda series (another dev does Gen 5 remakes). I think Nintendo is well aware this is what needs to happen for Pokemon after Gen 9 reception and sales falling off a cliff so fast)

28: New Smash from Sakurau, New 3D Zelda (a decade just like Kart feels like the right timeline between Smash’s. 5 years is the average for Zelda for some time minus TotK due to pandemic)

Shtinamin_ said:
Tober said:

Launch September

October

November

Don't forget Microsoft has a deal with Nintendo to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo consoles for the next 10 years. So October 2024 will have a Call of Duty release on the NG (what I call Nintendo's Next Gaming console).

So are you assuming that we will have Gen 10 pokémon in 2024? The Pokémon Company releases new generations in waves of 3 years. 
Only counting years for simplicity:
Red/Blue 1996
Gold/Silver 1999
Ruby/Saphire 2002
Diamond/Pearl 2006 (thought to be the last Pokémon game, which is why I think it took 4 years)
Black/White 2010 (I got no logical explanation why it took so long)
X/Y 2013
Sun/Moon 2016
Sword/Shield 2019
Scarlet/Violet 2022

Plus the Pokémon Company had a COO stating a possibility of taking their time to develop the next generations of games. So I assume that Gen 10 will be 4 year between Scarlet and Violet, giving us a Gen 10 release in 2026. But if they don't take their time and continue the 3 year schedule then yes 2025 will be Gen 10 (I assume you meant gen 10 and not 11).

You are right, I meant gen 10, not 11 for 2025. Perhaps they take 4 year this time, but I believe that when I see it If not gen 10, perhaps a new Legends game.

For November 2024 I meant a remake of a handheld Pokomon, possibly Black/White. We saw Pokomon in a schedule of New Game->Paid DLC->Remake, then start with a New Game again. I believe it will be a Switch game, but if NG is not backwards compatible I believe it will also launch on NG.

It's possible we will get CoD immediately in 2024, but I could imagine due to the developers having to get to grips with Nintendo platforms, it could be the first one is in 2025.

HyrulianScrolls said:

My prediction for how the heavy hitters shake out if it were to launch in early 2025:

25: Kart, Party, Metroid, 3D Mario

26: Gen 5 Remake, Ocarina Remake, Ls Mansion, Animal Crossing (feel very strongly about a full blown OoT remake happening to quench the long wait to new 3D Zelda. Won’t be surprised if it’s FF7 ish in being a massive update rather than just remake)

27: Splatoon, Pokemon Gen X (bold prediction here but I think GF takes a full 5 years to make a true next gen evolution of the franchise that will go absolutely nuts in sales like BotW did for Zelda series (another dev does Gen 5 remakes). I think Nintendo is well aware this is what needs to happen for Pokemon after Gen 9 reception and sales falling off a cliff so fast)

28: New Smash from Sakurau, New 3D Zelda (a decade just like Kart feels like the right timeline between Smash’s. 5 years is the average for Zelda for some time minus TotK due to pandemic)

I like the full remake idea for Ocarina. Because the Original is on NSO already, it needs some real changes and surprises. What about at the finale Link actually looses and needs to retreat. Then we get a time jump and see Old Man Link at a lone cabin getting a visitor. It's navi telling him they found a way for Link to return in time to get a rematch. Then you play a completely new timeline as Old Link to find a way back, essentially making it 3 timelines with child, adult and old.