Dark Souls II 6 14.29%

Bayonetta 2 5 11.90%

Mario Kart 8 11 26.19%

Divinity: Original Sin 3 7.14%

Alien: Isolation 7 16.67%

DKC: Tropical Freeze 10 23.81%

Total:42
Jpcc86 said:

DA Inquisition, MK8 WiiU, Shovel Knight, Bayo 2, any of those games could make my GOTY of this year. Probably would incline more torwards MK8.
Also worth mentioning Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation and DK Tropical Freeze as well. Liked all 3 of them.
Farcry 4 was good as well I guess.

Second good year in a row.

Yep, I definitely think the Christmas season is affecting you.

Around the Network

Other for me this time. My vote goes to Trails of Cold Steel II, one of the best games in one of the best video game series around today. The runner-up would be Dark Souls 2, which while the weakest of the trilogy, is still a Dark Souls game, and even at their worst they are better than the vast majority of other games out there.

I have to give it to Dark Souls 2. Also love DKC: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight and Shantae And The Pirates Curse.

The Evil Within.

Easily Mario Kart 8 for me but Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 pretty much tie for second. I must say the WiiU had a better year in 2014 than I had remembered.

Around the Network

Yeah 2014 was the one year where it felt good to be a Wii U owner.
I'd even put it above some years of the Switch.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was another really excellent little game; it's simple, but within its modest scope it's almost perfect.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 December 2023

A fairly weak year for me, but there is one game I liked a lot, and it's a title most series fans have a hate boner for: Dark Souls II. When I eventually got into Soulsbornes I played them all one after the other (in a weird order), and I enjoyed it more than the first game (which I actually played last) * shrug *

Last edited by Machina - on 07 December 2023

Dark Souls 2 is actually a lot better than most Souls fans seems to try to paint it.
Honestly recently I'm inclined to say it was better than 1, apart from the level design.
Majula was great.

This one was tough. Love me some Bayo 2, which was amazing. But Mario Kart 8 has been my main online go-to for.... (counting on fingers)... 9 years?!

Hmm no 2014 game in my top 50, weak year overall.

I did enjoy DriveClub a lot, however the launch was delayed and still a disaster then after they redeemed themselves the studio got closed, smh.

The rain effects are still unmatched today

Sadly the rain effects, nor the motorbikes made it to VR. It was great to race in VR yet very blurry with huge cutbacks to detail. To be able to play the full game on PSVR2 would be amazing, yet the studio is closed, will never happen.

Wolfenstein The new Order was kinda fun. Over the top story, not taking itself seriously. Popcorn flick material.

Dark Souls 2 was kinda meh. Very hard at the start (died tons of times) then very easy. Still good but not as good as Dark Souls and then I lost interest in the series. Despite having bought Bloodborne, Demon Souls Remake and Elden Ring, still haven't started any of them yet :/

Infamous Second Son was also enjoyable, short and forgettable though.

Looking back at my screenshots, actually a better city than Miles Morales (currently playing)
The powers were fun, maybe I should play it again some time.

Alien Isolation was very good, sadly it had a progression preventing bug. I had to go a few chapters back to rush through one chapter hoping it wouldn't deadlock again the next chapter. After a few attempts it finally continued.

Great tense gamplay. However The Alien was pretty predictable though (after redoing whole chapters over multiple times) and the excursion part to the other ship wasn't as good as the first part of the game. Still high on my list of wanted VR remakes :)

Again this year indies impressed me more. Loved the gameplay and art style of Child of Light

The Talos Principle is a great puzzler, I need to make time to play the sequel.

The Vanishing of Ethan Cart was jaw dropping, like walkign through a painting

My goty of 2014 is Transistor, incredible from start to finish

And Transistor has the best end credits song ever, Paper Boats

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 07 December 2023