By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Thats what Im saying. BOTW won in 2017, so I dont see how brown games are always winning. Also TLOU2 is actually very colorful for a post apocalyptic game.

It's still a photorealistic depressant, which is the only reason it won instead of the much better Animal Crossing New Horizons. That game was much needed in a time of crisis because it actually made people feel better instead of pissing them off and/or depressing them. Seems the old trope "True Art Is Angsty" holds unfortunately true to this sham of an award show. It's like the video game equivalent of Leonardo DiCapprio losing out at the Oscars for years while pretentious foreign art films nobody actually saw won every year.

Well gamers choice this year was Baldurs Gate 3 as well though. So it seems like most agree.

Also It Takes Two won 2 years ago and Elden Ring won last year. Seems like you are just disappointed that Nintendo didnt win GOTY.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

It won't be. It'll be a deserved winner.

Apparently deserved winners are games where everything is brown.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

My point is the exact opposite. It's fine to dislike the game ofc, it always is, but I've seen one to many statement bordering on "the game is objectively bad" when there's no such thing and many people are clearly loving it, calling Aonuma a fraud and saying his direction is "unforgiveable" is defintely in that camp.

So yea it's cool that you and others don't like TotK, I just hate whenever it turns into a vendetta of sorts. Don't think I've seen as much cheering against a game since TLoU Part 2

Because Animal Crossing New Horizons should've been the GOTY of 2020, it was a game that made people happy in a dark time, as opposed to The Last of Us Part 2 which only depressed people even more than it's predecessor.

This proves further that The Game Awards only give Game of The Year to bland brown games.

Huuuh, I don't think this is the right angle angle to argument for. Artistic direction is one thing. You can prefer color palettes that are more vibrant but it doesn't mean it's artistically better  than mute palettes by default.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

KLXVER said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant, which is the only reason it won instead of the much better Animal Crossing New Horizons. That game was much needed in a time of crisis because it actually made people feel better instead of pissing them off and/or depressing them. Seems the old trope "True Art Is Angsty" holds unfortunately true to this sham of an award show. It's like the video game equivalent of Leonardo DiCapprio losing out at the Oscars for years while pretentious foreign art films nobody actually saw won every year.

Well gamers choice this year was Baldurs Gate 3 as well though. So it seems like most agree.

Also It Takes Two won 2 years ago and Elden Ring won last year. Seems like you are just disappointed that Nintendo didnt win GOTY.

Yeaaaaa... Don't know if there's any right to agree with a consensus on the internet such as gaming titles when we had Genshin Impact winning the "gamers choice" last year lol

Mar1217 said:
KLXVER said:

Yeaaaaa... Don't know if there's any right to agree with a consensus on the internet such as gaming titles when we had Genshin Impact winning the "gamers choice" last year lol

Well, you can't say Genshin Impact is a bland brown game

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Mar1217 said:

10/10, CaptainXplosion game of the year 2022 baby !

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Mar1217 said:

Or Baldur's Gate 3, for that matter.

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Thats what Im saying. BOTW won in 2017, so I dont see how brown games are always winning. Also TLOU2 is actually very colorful for a post apocalyptic game.

ahh yes, Leonardo DiCaprio, the actor who has only starred in upbeat colorful happy films!

Fun show! I'm glad FF XVI won the best soundtrack category. That OST is AMAZING!

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant,

If Elden Ring is a "brown game", or "photorealistic depressant", then I must have reverse color blindness.

Just say you didn't play the games.

Last edited by Hiku - on 08 December 2023

Elden Ring is gorgeous. From Software is in a league of their own.