By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Remember when the Wii U was aiming for the "core gamer"?

Wii U Gamepad was awkward, expensive and worthless. No idea why Nintendo thought the Wii U was a good idea.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Shtinamin_ said:

What do you mean by cheating? How does one cheat in the systems selling ways?

I dont think that combining two systems into one is cheating. In fact, I think that this potentially cut into total sales for the 8th generation of gaming consoles for Nintendo. If Nintendo didn't make the Switch a home/handheld combo but just a home console and still appealed to young, old and new fans, the Switch would have most likely sold close to 100 million consoles, much like the Wii. Since Switch would be their home consoles, they would have sold a new handheld (Im gonna call it NH). This NH would have most likely sold a minimum of 80 million, near 3DS numbers. 
Since it's just the Switch, they might be selling maybe 150 million or 160 million (at most) consoles.

Making one console was a huge step for Nintendo, a big risk, and made game development way easier to handle. We will always be able to count on Nintendo for one thing: their ability to innovate technology, and make gaming fun and family friendly.

I have a hard time seeing a Nintendo console strictly tied to a wall outlet and television going back to Wii numbers after the Wii U. I also have a hard time seeing a Nintendo home console outselling its contemporary handheld counterpart, seeing as how that's never happened.

Maybe I misread and you meant the Switch Home would sell around 20 million while the Switch handheld would be around 80 million, but that's still dozens of millions less than what the real Switch today has sold, and that number is still growing higher by the day!

What would be the hook to sell these new separate consoles on? Many of us thought the Switch would originally be just that, but you'd be able to take the same game card/digital download and have complete crossplay between both systems, so let's go with that. That means that you'd still have a home console Switch that has to be underpowered enough to keep most games in the ballpark to allow the NH to share the games, otherwise Nintendo is betraying its selling point. That sounds like a way more enticing proposition than the Wii U, but not enough to get 100 million people to buy a vastly underpowered Switch Home. At least in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the welcome.

Sorry, my thoughts get jumbled. I hope I can get my idea across.
I was wondering how combining the handheld and the home console was cheating. And I began to give my thoughts on why I thought it wasn't and in fact was a bad play (only in terms of how many units get sold), and then I go to explain that there were benefits to combining the two from a business point. Like most things, each thing has its positives and negatives.

I was saying that if there was a pure Home Switch (im gonna call this HS), and a pure handheld (which ill call NH), then the total amount of units sold would have been vastly different from what the reality of the Switch is doing now (Im really glad the Switch is selling 133+ million and I hope it reaches 160+). I was saying that the HS would sell almost equal to the Wii in terms of units, and the NH would be selling almost on par with the 3DS.
I make this assumption because the handheld market was oversaturated with DS, and 3DS. Everyone that wanted one got one, but there can be made a counterargument that the next generation wants a handheld, which is understandable. That's why I say it'll sell near the 3DS' total. There will be hard core fans (about 20-30 million) who buy it, and then 60-70+ million who buy it for their growing child (9-14 years old).
I hope that made sense.

I never made any speculation on what Nintendo would even do if it still had a dedicated home and handheld console, and honestly I don't want to think about what gimmick/ new innovation it would have because I'm not Nintendo. They do some whacky stuff.
And yes, I agree it would be detrimental and underpowered to do what you said, but I dont know what they would have done.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

Nobody knows what the hell Snipperclips is, it's like on a list of "most important Switch titles" it wouldn't even made the top 150. 

The point is, the Switch is far from a "core gamer" focused device as evidenced by the other examples I gave. If Nintendo wanted to make a console primarily aimed at hardcore gamers, it'd be something more akin to the Steam Deck. Big, complicated, insanely powerful. But they didn't, they went with a small dockable tablet with candy-coated mini-wiimotes that you can share with a friend. That's about the furthest thing from a "Core gamer" focused device as you can get.

First of all it's not "candy-coated" it's neon, a much more adult-oriented color scheme.  Newsflash:  just because something has color doesn't automatically make it "for kids."

Chrkeller said:

Wii U Gamepad was awkward, expensive and worthless. No idea why Nintendo thought the Wii U was a good idea.

I think in concept, the Wii U GamePad is brilliant. The issue is the choices and missed potential.

-No game ever used more than one, despite Nintendo saying there would be games one day that would.

-Resistive touchscreen

-It technically uses Wi-Fi, but only to connect to the console and at very short distances. The GamePad should've been able to Remote Play from dozens if not hundreds of miles away provided the Wii U was powered on and the internet connection was robust. 

-It was always packaged with the console, increasing the cost. Additionally, basic things like setting up the console for the first time and certain other system settings require it. 

What should have been a sleek device that would appeal to core gamers looks like a Fisher Price toy. 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wii U didn't support modern game engines at the time like Cryengine or Unreal. (Sonic Boom was forced to be on Wii U despite using Cryengine and it wasn't supported on Wii U) It used a CPU from the year 2000. I think Nintendo used their API and successor to the Gamecube/Wii API with GX2. 2012 we know devs were wanting to move to more standardized API and hardware. Wii U had neither. Switch does.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Paperboy_J said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

The point is, the Switch is far from a "core gamer" focused device as evidenced by the other examples I gave. If Nintendo wanted to make a console primarily aimed at hardcore gamers, it'd be something more akin to the Steam Deck. Big, complicated, insanely powerful. But they didn't, they went with a small dockable tablet with candy-coated mini-wiimotes that you can share with a friend. That's about the furthest thing from a "Core gamer" focused device as you can get.

First of all it's not "candy-coated" it's neon, a much more adult-oriented color scheme.  Newsflash:  just because something has color doesn't automatically make it "for kids."

Never said it was. I just said that the Switch was not designed as a device focused on the "core gamer". It's a platform meant for anybody who wants to play games, including casual gamers, most of whom happen to be adults.

Last edited by TheMisterManGuy - on 04 December 2023

Tbh it's always been way too late for Nintendo for more core gamers to take seriously as a primary platform for all your mature 3rd party games.

Even if Nintendo were to make a console that's exactly like a PS5 in terms of specs and gets great 3rd party support and great online, I feel like most gamers still wouldn't trust Nintendo enough to leave Xbox & Playstation for Nintendo when it comes to having it as their primary platform for online 3rd party games, Nintendo has refused to compete with that market for way too long for them to try to change their image to work successfully.

Nintendo tried this somewhat with the Gamecube as well, had a system more capable than PS2, developer friendly now opting to use CDs instead of cartridges, and did try to get more 3rd party mature support with exclusives from Capcom like RE4 and others.
The problem is though all of Nintendo's attempts at this always felt lackluster, Nintendo still refused to pursue 3rd parties with the Gamecube at launch, had a console that looked childish in comparision to the others with bright colors. The Wii U was an even more pathetic attempt.

Now its to the point where Nintendo can't ever directly compete with PS/Xbox in that market cause nobody will trust them as being a direct replacement after all the years of refusing to get 3rd party games, high specs, and good online.

However, that's fine. Clearly as the Switch's success has shown they don't need to compete, in fact are better off doing their own thing, it makes them stand out more and less competition since they're so unique that PS/Xbox gamers will get a Switch for a different experience. Having your system also not be defined by its 3rd party games also helps Nintendo's bottom line since their games will be the forefront of their system with the least amount of competition, increasing first party sales which is much more profitable than 3rd party sales, and it's probably the main logic why Nintendo hasn't been very agressive in getting 3rd party support all these years.

But yea looking back at the Wii U's launch seeing Nintendo so confident that they were gonna bring the hardcore gamers back with a console that had an overclocked Gamecube CPU and last gen ports that ran worse was laughable, literally after one year virtually all 3rd parties left the Wii U as there was nothing but 1st party games.
The funniest thing about it to was that I remember Nintendo fans hyping up Devil's Third as the mature 3rd party exclusive that would prove the Wii U to be legit but it ended up getting like a 40 on Metacritic lmao, I swear the Wii U just seemed to fail at everything that gen lol

Too little, too late.

The Wii U Gamepad was a paradox.
If you want to take advantage for playing on gamepad only (no TV), you have to design you game to run in a single screen. However, if you design the game like this, you wont take full advantage of the extra screen.
So, games would be criticized for using the gamepad or for not using.
As consequence, few devs boarded in.
Mandatory Gamepad ruined it.

Also, if it was going to to compete with PS360, it came too late.
I think they should release 1 year earlier. Without the gamepad.
Launch two skus, one with Wiimote+ and SSHD and the last wave of wii games ported to wii U; other with the pro controler. Both should be far cheaper than the Wii U was.
Make the hardware to let devs just port X360 version of their game like they were with no effort, specially, not intending to innovate them with a second screen.
Launch gamepad separately as accessory 1 or 2 years latter.

The console was a weird hodgepodge of new gimmicks, DS-esque interface w/the multiple screens, hardcore games (for pretty much exclusively hardcore Nintendo fans) with some vague Wii marketing and themes. It's like Nintendo just didn't know what to do with the thing, while slapping some Wii branding on it in the wrong assumption that this is what sold the Wii when it was the more accessible games and simple motion controls.

I think the console just confused people, and the whole clunky gamepad controller and having to go through the Miiverse or whatever to play games was just cumbersome and turned people off, myself included. Thankfully Nintendo rectified this with the Switch, where you just flip on the console and jump into your game in seconds. It also helped that you can play Switch anywhere, whereas Wii U you'd have to be in the vicinity of the console - which even for a decade ago (can't believe it's been that long) wasn't all that impressive tech-wise. Its third-party support outside of Ubisoft was also awful, and the indie thing, which has become a haven on Switch, hadn't quite taken off yet. Though I did play a few on that console like Steamworld Dig and Unepic.

During this time I was full-on with the late 360 library (Borderlands 2, Call of Duty, Titanfall, South Park Stick of Truth), and had just gotten a new gaming PC and really into Far Cry 3. Didn't really have a need for it and sold it off after just a couple years.

Was pretty much my least favorite Nintendo console. I did enjoy NES Remix, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, and aspects of Nintendoland, but that's about it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

The WiiU was honestly the preemptive attempt to make a Switch. They knew what they wanted but couldn't get the technology to match their vision. Nvidia stepped up and brought Nintendo their success.
Nintendo is always ahead of its time when it innovates.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.