By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Remember when the Wii U was aiming for the "core gamer"?

Soundwave said:

Nintendo will always have to appeal to a family segment to some degree, they don't have an Uncharted or Gran Turismo or Halo or even a GoldenEye anymore really, so their franchises lean heavily towards that, but you could lose all of Switch Sports, Snipperclips (lol), 1,2 Switch, and even Ring Fit ... and I don't think it would make a huge difference in Switch sales at all. It's not like the system would go from 125 million sold to like only 80 million. You remove Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, etc. from the Wii and it's not even probably selling 40 million units. 

The fact that the Switch is a platform where titles like Switch Sports, Just Dance, Super Mario Party, can be hits alongside traditional Nintendo experiences shows how much universal appeal the Switch has as a platform. Even games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing work on multiple levels (hence, they're the two best selling games on the system) There's something for every type of gamer on it, and that's a big reason for its success. Like, you don't succeed at 132 million units with just core gamers or Nintendo diehards.

Around the Network

Switch is a wild success because it is priced affordable and has an amazing lineup. Breath, tears, Awakening, skyward, Odyssey, 3d world, wonder, Kart, two fire emblems, triangle, astral , bayo, etc, etc, etc. I own more switch games than any other Nintendo console. Super lineup with a wide variety of offerings

Pikmin 4, luigis mansion 3, etc.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo will always have to appeal to a family segment to some degree, they don't have an Uncharted or Gran Turismo or Halo or even a GoldenEye anymore really, so their franchises lean heavily towards that, but you could lose all of Switch Sports, Snipperclips (lol), 1,2 Switch, and even Ring Fit ... and I don't think it would make a huge difference in Switch sales at all. It's not like the system would go from 125 million sold to like only 80 million. You remove Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, etc. from the Wii and it's not even probably selling 40 million units. 

The fact that the Switch is a platform where titles like Switch Sports, Just Dance, Super Mario Party, can be hits alongside traditional Nintendo experiences shows how much universal appeal the Switch has as a platform. Even games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing work on multiple levels (hence, they're the two best selling games on the system) There's something for every type of gamer on it, and that's a big reason for its success. Like, you don't succeed at 132 million units with just core gamers or Nintendo diehards.

I mean the Playstation and XBox sell like 160 million units (give or take) for multiple successive generations in a row, so apparently sure there are that many core gamers (not even including those who game on PC). Lots of them own a Switch. 

Nintendo just made an attractive hardware that can play "big boy" games, if the system couldn't run high end games like BOTW, DOOM, etc. it would've sank the system because 3DS even Vita type handhelds are just not that great any more. No one wants a portable that is a bite sized gaming machine really in the age of "you can get 1000 free bite size gaming experiences on your phone for free" modern age that we live in. 

Nintendo had to go upstream and make something higher end than the Vita even. Otherwise the concept of the hybrid console doesn't have enough appeal. 

Soundwave said:

I mean the Playstation and XBox sell like 160 million units (give or take) for multiple successive generations in a row, so apparently sure there are that many core gamers (not even including those who game on PC). Lots of them own a Switch. 

Even PlayStation and Xbox don't succeed exclusively with core gamers. PlayStation was never a "Hardcore gamer" brand. It's always been a hip lifestyle entertainment brand for young adults in general. Hence, most PlayStation games focus on cinematic presentation and movie-like qualities with relatively simple game-play. Of course, doubling as multi-media players also helps as well. I mean out of the 155 million PS2s sold, how many of them were owned by "Hardcore gamers"?

Soundwave said:

Nintendo just made an attractive hardware that can play "big boy" games, if the system couldn't run high end games like BOTW, DOOM, etc. it would've sank the system because 3DS even Vita type handhelds are just not that great any more. No one wants a portable that is a bite sized gaming machine really in the age of "you can get 1000 free bite size gaming experiences on your phone for free" modern age that we live in.

I agree, the hybrid design played a big role in the Switch's success. It lets core gamers take full sized console experiences with them, and it lets casual gamers enjoy some big screen multiplayer fun with a small, portable device. And the various other games and play styles on the system gives it very broad appeal. It's very much like the Nintendo DS in that sense.

Nintendo has a certain identity and whenever they try to veer from that path, it doesn't go well for them. Their commercials are very different from the competition. Bright colors, cute characters, smiling people playing together in the living room. They should just hold on to the strength and success that they have. A monster brand like that and a clear identity are the holy grail in business.

Around the Network

I loved the Wii U. It was my favorite console of the three, and I owned all three. It's a shame it bombed so hard, but then, it's the consoles that don't win their gens that I usually like the most. I don't know why that is, but it tends to happen with me.

Wman1996 said:

This is sad because the Wii U's RAM and GPU are far superior to the 360 and PS3 (though not close to Xbox One or PS4).
In addition

The WiiU's Ram ran at only 12.8GB/s so it was bandwidth limited.
The Xbox 360's Ram ran at 22.4GB/s.

So anything that used a ton of textures, resolution or Alpha Effects, the Xbox 360 was leagues ahead of the WiiU.

So it's a bit of a misnomer that the WiiU's ram was better than the Xbox 360 or even Playstation 3, it had more Ram, sure. But it was extremely slow.

Anyone who has used integrated graphics on a PC understands the importance of fast system Ram.

Wman1996 said:

-Paltry storage. 8 GB is almost entirely useless, and 32 GB doesn't cut it either. Xbox 360 and PS3 had SKUS with 120 GB and up. Since the Wii U can support external hard drives, then why didn't Nintendo include an internal hard drive too?

Cost.

The WiiU was already expensive due to the Gamepad.

Same reason why the Switch's storage is still tiny.

That and WiiU games weren't gigantic 100GB titles... And the WiiU's SSD was only EMMC, so it was dog slow.

Slownenberg said:

1. It's not woefully underpowered. It's a handheld. You can't compare the power of handhelds and consoles.

It is woefully underpowered, even as a Handheld.
Hardware has moved leaps and bounds since the Switch launched... And even when the Switch launched, the Tegra X2 existed, meaning the Switch could have been 50% faster or more.

In saying that, people claim the Switch is a "Hybrid" which means as a platform, it can and will be compared to the Xbox and Playstation and not just when things are in your favour.

Slownenberg said:

4. Have you played the Switch? Motion controls are barely used, and definitely not a focus of the system. And since when did gamers not enjoy "fun time with multiplayer"?? lol. "Hardcore gamer" is not just deathmatch shooters. Many many many first party and third party games on Switch are "hardcore gamer" games.

Most games allow you to disable motion controls anyway, I don't use it. But I also don't use the Joycons either...

Slownenberg said:

And you think Switch is seen as less of a joke to "core gamers"....uhhh, who in the world would ever think of Switch as a joke?! lol. It took the gaming world by storm and has many of the best games of the past 7 years exclusive to it.

Agreed. 100%.

Even if it's biggest successes in game releases were ports from the failed WiiU console. I.E. Mario Kart.
It's still had some of the best games of all time exclusively released for a console.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 27 November 2023

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

It is woefully underpowered, even as a Handheld.
Hardware has moved leaps and bounds since the Switch launched... And even when the Switch launched, the Tegra X2 existed, meaning the Switch could have been 50% faster or more.

In saying that, people claim the Switch is a "Hybrid" which means as a platform, it can and will be compared to the Xbox and Playstation and not just when things are in your favour.

Plus, when has Nintendo focused on making a super powerful handheld? I think the only time they really did it was the Game Boy Advance, but only because that system was in development hell for a while.

Pemalite said:

Most games allow you to disable motion controls anyway, I don't use it. But I also don't use the Joycons either...

I think this is the true appeal of the Switch. It fits into whatever gaming tastes people want. If you want to use it like a Wii, you can. If you want to use it like a Game Boy, you can. If you want to use it like a normal console, you can.

Paperboy_J said:

I hate to say it because I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I'm glad Iwata (R.I.P.) and Reggie are no longer in charge of Nintendo. They were running the company straight into the ground. The new presidents have been killing it ever since they took over: No Miis, no useless peripherals, no silly gimmicks, no endless Brain Age or Nintendogs games, no weird, half-baked spinoff games nobody asked for, and the Switch actually enjoys healthy third party support now.

Again no disrespect, but Nintendo was in dire need of new management and I'm glad it got it before it was too late.

Man I hated Reggie.

Back in the GameCube days, IGN was my primary gaming news source, and Matt Cassamassina, the main GCN editor at the time, used to do a weekly interview where he'd ask Reggie a few questions. It was called Ask Reggie, and it started out with Matt asking some serious and hard-hitting questions that fans wanted answers for, like what is Nintendo planning to do for the GameCube in light of titles like GTA III coming to Xbox but not GCN, is Nintendo considering online solutions with the burgeoning popularity of Xbox Live, and what is Nintendo's answer to its consoles being perceived as "for kids."

Reggie's answers would always be this canned ass corporate speak, like, "We have Animal Crossing™ debuting in two weeks! Matt, did you know that you can now find the limited edition Platinum Edition GameCube™ at your local Best Buy? Great news, Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker are now apart of the Nintendo Selects line up and are in stores now!"

And let's not forget that around the same time he's talking out of his ass about winning the "core gamer" back with the Wii U, he's dodging questions about why "core games" like Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower aren't coming to American shores for the Wii. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

burninmylight said:
Paperboy_J said:

I hate to say it because I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I'm glad Iwata (R.I.P.) and Reggie are no longer in charge of Nintendo. They were running the company straight into the ground. The new presidents have been killing it ever since they took over: No Miis, no useless peripherals, no silly gimmicks, no endless Brain Age or Nintendogs games, no weird, half-baked spinoff games nobody asked for, and the Switch actually enjoys healthy third party support now.

Again no disrespect, but Nintendo was in dire need of new management and I'm glad it got it before it was too late.

Man I hated Reggie.

Back in the GameCube days, IGN was my primary gaming news source, and Matt Cassamassina, the main GCN editor at the time, used to do a weekly interview where he'd ask Reggie a few questions. It was called Ask Reggie, and it started out with Matt asking some serious and hard-hitting questions that fans wanted answers for, like what is Nintendo planning to do for the GameCube in light of titles like GTA III coming to Xbox but not GCN, is Nintendo considering online solutions with the burgeoning popularity of Xbox Live, and what is Nintendo's answer to its consoles being perceived as "for kids."

Reggie's answers would always be this canned ass corporate speak, like, "We have Animal Crossing™ debuting in two weeks! Matt, did you know that you can now find the limited edition Platinum Edition GameCube™ at your local Best Buy? Great news, Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker are now apart of the Nintendo Selects line up and are in stores now!"

And let's not forget that around the same time he's talking out of his ass about winning the "core gamer" back with the Wii U, he's dodging questions about why "core games" like Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower aren't coming to American shores for the Wii. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Iwata had issues but after looking at him as a whole and how he at least gave the nod to Switch before he died, he's my fave Nintendo president. Yes, he takes some responsibility for the Wii U's failure and other issues during his tenure. But when I wanted him out during the Wii U days, I couldn't foresee Switch killing it (NX wasn't even announced yet).

Reggie has almost nothing good of note other than memes. As you said, corporate speak through and through. He dodged and deflected a lot as well. I remember when Geoff Keighley rightfully mentioned how mad people were after Nintendo's disastrous E3 2008. Reggie said that Animal Crossing: City Folk would be a great game (it ended up being considered the worst of main Animal Crossing games) and that some players would never be satisfied even if they revealed the dev cycles of the next few years. Basically, Reggie kept promising core gamers would have a lot of content, and that was largely hollow (especially during the Wii U). 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima