By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Completionist involved in possible charity scam

This is crazy. Never thought I would see this guy involved in something like this. Now he hasnt responded to any of this yet, but its looking pretty bad.

What do you guys think? Is this clear evidence of shady practices or do you think its just a very bad mistake made?

Around the Network

I'm always suspicious whenever asked for donations... Hopefully this wasn't a scam but scammers will resort to any low to get paid.

Yesterday after a long time I randomly remembered about the Completionist channel, checked their video feed and watched a bit of the possible scam video and today boom - a thread on VGC. It is proof that we live in some kind of simulation.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It is in someway kinda weird to have such an icon of the YouTube videogame culture being involved in such shady practices.

Not saying you shouldn't charities n all because most creators do them diligently in fairness.
But I remember a moment in the Completionist channel history during the dark days where YouTube completely remodeled policies and monetary aspects of the platform and it did heavily affect him.

Could be a mistake on the Treasury's role being mismanaged. But this seemed to have gone for so long that I guess he might've just wanted for some kind of war chest.

Anywoo, let's see what the answers to those allegations are going to be.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

An update on the situation:

Still no response from Jirard(The Completionist) himself though. 

Around the Network

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

At a minimum it's just a mess.
Was the account gathering interest? If so where did it go?
If not then the money absolutely got devalued to inflation. So money was lost.

What did the expenses go towards? Who benefited from that?
If they paid for Jirard to do all these streams - then he benefited by getting free exposure and celebrities etc.
Were any of the expenses written off? If so who benefited from that?

Even if you didn't check on this for 8 years.. he did check it out in 2022. And didn't do anything for a year.

The bare minimum is a massive mess there is no real good going forward. Specially with the charities. Were they complicit in this? They didn't get this money and didn't ask why they didn't get the money?

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:

The bare minimum is a massive mess there is no real good going forward. Specially with the charities. Were they complicit in this? They didn't get this money and didn't ask why they didn't get the money?

How does that work?  The charities would assume (like everyone else would), that every year $10,000 was split between 5 or so charities and submitted by credit card on their websites.

It's not like it was millions of dollars that they're going to be chasing.

OneTime said:
Bandorr said:

How does that work?  The charities would assume (like everyone else would), that every year $10,000 was split between 5 or so charities and submitted by credit card on their websites.

Most charity streams I've seen work for one charity.  I'm not sure I've ever seen one with 5.

This also wouldn't be chasing it. This would be you running an event with someone. Like you are there with them, talking to them and being informed by them.

Should be easy enough to keep a note "X money from Y person on Z day" etc.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:
OneTime said:

Most charity streams I've seen work for one charity.  I'm not sure I've ever seen one with 5.

This also wouldn't be chasing it. This would be you running an event with someone. Like you are there with them, talking to them and being informed by them.

Should be easy enough to keep a note "X money from Y person on Z day" etc.

Ah...  watch the Karl Jobst video.  He was saying on stream that the money went to a bunch of charities.  The charity he was streaming with was an organization called "Open Hands Foundation" (interesting name in hindsight) that is run by him and his family.  

Personally I've never seen a streamer do more than have the link to a charity website with a "donate referencing XXX streamer" link, but they were all doing $500 targets.

I remember a massive bust up with the guy he originally ran the channel with (Greg).  Greg forced the channel to take down every video that he appeared in.  It sounded very petty and vindictive and I couldn't think of any reason that would justify what Greg did...  Now I can think of one scenario where that would be what I would do as well.

Last edited by OneTime - on 21 November 2023