By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Completionist involved in possible charity scam

This is just getting worse and worse. Jirard has been silent for like 2 weeks now. He needs to reply to all this as soon as possible if he has nothing to hide. Its looking really bad for him though.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

This is just getting worse and worse. Jirard has been silent for like 2 weeks now. He needs to reply to all this as soon as possible if he has nothing to hide. Its looking really bad for him though.

Haven't watched it yet.  But yeah this is just sounding bad. He isn't putting out any videos, there is no commentary. Like I'm not sure there is even a "we have hired a lawyer to look into this all. We have been told not to make a statement" etc.

I also didn't think about the "Extra" benefits.  Like the subs, the bits, or the donations he got while streaming.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Leynos said:

Man, that's funny but it's also so incredibly sad. Obviously the biggest issue at play here are the charities that didn't get the money and the innocent people who gave their money thinking it was for research but as a side issue, the fact that the developers of this game gave this guy the ultimate honor of featuring him in their game and there were even artists with the task of drawing him into the game and now all that good will will most likely be deleted cause of no fault of their own? I find that kinda heartbreaking in all honesty.

This just solidifies my belief that you shouldn't reference real life people in your product (video games, movies, TV shows, etc) specially in a reverential/positive way cause you just never know what they could do tomorrow. I wish we lived in a world where that wasn't an issue but it most definitely is. The obvious exception are sport games like Fifa, NBA, UFC, etc but even then you could be at risk. I remember there was this WWE game that had to delete a wrestler cause he killed his family or something. That was just crazy.

I would say it is extremely unlikely that he had no idea what was going on. Because he put his name and reputation on this, involving hundreds of thousands of dollars. And he never once asked to see what was going on with the money for nearly 10 years?

So it looks intentional.
But if the money is still there, then I wonder for what purpose?

There is about 100k or so missing due to 'expenses'. Which I've heard are not high compared to most charities.
On the other hand, most charities operate all year around, with plenty of staff. This one doesn't.
Their employee with the most hours in a year (his wife I believe) had something like 100 work hours in a year.

On top of that, other charities don't just label all of it under the ambiguous term 'expenses' on their taxes.
They specify what each and every expense was for.

That could just be incompetence.
And I don't see why they would not donate any money they collected if their plan was to steal some under 'expenses'.

A more in-depth look at the Open Hand Foundation. Seems like all the money from the golf tournament for charity they hold every year is not accounted for in any way. Its just missing. We are probably talking way over 1M dollars at this point if we add the 655K from the Indieland charity.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

A more in-depth look at the Open Hand Foundation. Seems like all the money from the golf tournament for charity they hold every year is not accounted for in any way. Its just missing. We are probably talking way over 1M dollars at this point if we add the 655K from the Indieland charity.

While low-balling the amount as much as possible. Realistically, incuding the raffles and everything he skipped over, it looks like a lot is being un-reported evey year.

None of this solves the mystery of why they didn't donate any of it though, if there still is hundreds of thousands left in the account as they claim.
At least not to me, because it makes no sense to draw attention to the situation with such a suspicious act. If they had donated the ~600k while stealing the rest that they made from the golf tournament, Jamie Lee Curtis, etc, no one might have noticed that something fishy was going on.
But to donate none of it? That makes no sense to me. Unless they're all incredibly stupid.

I knew this guy looked familiar, but I couldn't place him until now.
He's frequently on Skill Up's podcast.

I don't imagine he will make an appearance there again until this has been at least somewhat resolved.
Which may be why they haven't had a podcast again since the one in the screenshot.

The Open Hand foundation donated 600K to AFTD at least. Still some questions to be answered, but its a good start.

Open Hand Foundation Provides AFTD $600K for FTD Research | AFTD (theaftd.org)

Jirard finally gives his response. Are you satisfied with it? 

Mutahar from SomeOrdinaryGamers response to Jirards video. 

Im sure Jirard had no itention of keeping the money, but keeping the donation money in the OHFs account and not donating anything for 9 years is weird. He should have been clear on that to the people donating, especially in the 2023 Indieland charity stream since he said he found out about the money still being in the account and not donated to any charites in 2022. 

What do you guys think?

Well, this jirard guy is an asshole now pretending to be a victim lol. Still money missing and he only donated this now to save his ass but it likely won't. He should be going to jail. Also, shave that disgusting thing off your face dude. Why is it so popular to look homeless these days?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Jirard's statement answered or adressed very little that was actually relevant.
(But his fans react as if he's completely exonerated.)

He now claims that the plan all along was to wait until they can make a donation that won't come with large fees.
And yet oddly, he didn't mention this plan in the Discord call last month. The main thing everyone wanted to know.

In fact, in the Discord call he says that when he found out no money had been donated, his reaction was "that's not fucking cool" and that he had an argument with his dad about it.

Sounds like his team had not thought of this plan (excuse) until after the Discord call.

And this supposed plan only explained why it took time to make a donation. Not why it took 10 years!

I also like how they magically found the solution to this decade-long problem in the span of a few weeks after getting caught.