By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Completionist involved in possible charity scam

I think the bigger question here is isn't crazy these tubers,streamers,twicthers get millions to play a game that the actual developers got paid $15.00 an hour for?

Around the Network
Xxain said:

I think the bigger question here is isn't crazy these tubers,streamers,twicthers get millions to play a game that the actual developers got paid $15.00 an hour for?

You could extrapolate this question to pretty much every mass business ever.

Trentonater said:
KLXVER said:

An incredible response from Karl Jobst here. Very good and thourough video. I dont think theres any doubt left in me at this point.

I think it's worth reading this for everyone https://tedium.co/2023/12/12/the-completionist-open-hand-foundation-nonprofit-context/

regardless of how true the claims end up being jobst majorly overstepped his bounds as a journalist and acted quite unlike a journalist at that. Many legal experts have said he shouldn't have made the claims he did in his second video and should have consulted legal experts. But i have noticed that jobst will eventually start milling the same topic for views but in this case he should have left it as it was.

Well, I'm not a legal expert, but I did pass the bar and have done a bit of study in regards to defamation suit.

Whether he should have have made the claims morally is one question. Legally though, I can't see any potential liability on Jobst's end.

When you are dealing with a public figure, to be liable for defamation, you must act with what is called "actual malice". That means that either a) you know what you are saying is false or b) you act with reckless indifference to whether or not what you are saying is false.

I don't think anyone is claiming he knowingly made false accusations. So, it would have to be the second. 

One thing to keep in mind is that truth is an absolute defense to defamation. So, if what he said was true (even if he didn't know it 100% at the time) he can't be sued for defamation. And that doesn't mean every single detail has to be exactly accurate, it just has to be "substantially true". It looks like that is the case in this situation. 

Even if it is not considered truth, he's still ok. The standard is that you have to be reckless, i.e. you clearly don't bother to find out if it's true or not. For instance, the recent case with Alex Jones and the Sandy Hook parents. Alex Jones may or may not have actually believed what he was saying, but it was found that he did not do the bare minimum to fact check anything he was reporting. Here, it seems that Jobst probably did at least an ok job, and that's more than enough. Even if he did a shitty job, that would probably be ok, as long as he tried. The article says he needed a mole, but that's simply not a standard journalists have ever been held to, at least not legally.

Also note that only factual statements can be considered defamation. So, if he said that the foundation didn't seem to be in a rush to donate anything to charity, that seems to me to be a statement of his opinion. Generally, such statements are protected by the first amendment and can not be the basis of a lawsuit. The article seems to think the problem is that Jobst posted his own conclusions, but legally, that is that is going to be incredibly hard to sue over.

Based on my limited knowldedge of defamation law, and even more limited knowledge of this situation, I wouldn't think a lawsuit would be a very good idea. If he's a bad journalist or youtuber or w/e, that's a different story. 

KLXVER said:
Trentonater said:

I think it's worth reading this for everyone https://tedium.co/2023/12/12/the-completionist-open-hand-foundation-nonprofit-context/

regardless of how true the claims end up being jobst majorly overstepped his bounds as a journalist and acted quite unlike a journalist at that. Many legal experts have said he shouldn't have made the claims he did in his second video and should have consulted legal experts. But i have noticed that jobst will eventually start milling the same topic for views but in this case he should have left it as it was.

That is an interesting read for sure. It would be nice to get actual legal experts to talk about this. Someone who has no connection to either parties.

Your wish has been granted. Moonie (an actual lawyer) has just made a video on this.

Jules98 said:
KLXVER said:

That is an interesting read for sure. It would be nice to get actual legal experts to talk about this. Someone who has no connection to either parties.

Your wish has been granted. Moonie (an actual lawyer) has just made a video on this.

So what I gathered from this was Jirard MAY have comitted fraud and embezzelment, but Karl and Mutahar did a poor job with their research and none of it can be proven until an audit happens. I guess we will have to wait and see what the IRS finds like he said. 

I do feel like he simply boiled it down to 3 points and left out some information though. Like the money not showing up on the tax returns. Probably because it cant be proven exactly where that money is or they "forgot" to add it. But it seemed to me that he gave the benefit out of the doubt to Jirard a bit heavily tbh. Yes, legally it cant be proven yet, but this is not just simple human errors. 

This video made me WAY more vary of charities though. They can almost get away with anything unless they scream "Im taking the money you donated and am using it to buy things for myself and here are the reciepts!!!" No wonder there are so many charities. A very lucrative business.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Jules98 said:

So what I gathered from this was Jirard MAY have comitted fraud and embezzelment, but Karl and Mutahar did a poor job with their research and none of it can be proven until an audit happens. I guess we will have to wait and see what the IRS finds like he said. 

I do feel like he simply boiled it down to 3 points and left out some information though. Like the money not showing up on the tax returns. Probably because it cant be proven exactly where that money is or they "forgot" to add it. But it seemed to me that he gave the benefit out of the doubt to Jirard a bit heavily tbh. Yes, legally it cant be proven yet, but this is not just simple human errors. 

This video made me WAY more vary of charities though. They can almost get away with anything unless they scream "Im taking the money you donated and am using it to buy things for myself and here are the reciepts!!!" No wonder there are so many charities. A very lucrative business.

Karl responded and seems Moonie has now made the video above private:https://youtu.be/2p5U4OfJ1NA?si=sBsUk3ar2DsWOj7V

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:

Karl responded and seems Moonie has now made the video above private:https://youtu.be/2p5U4OfJ1NA?si=sBsUk3ar2DsWOj7V

Yeah, I saw the video. I didnt post it because Im not sure if anyone cares that much about this controversy on here anymore.

But yeah, dont mess with Karl, he has the reciepts. He doesnt do things half-assed.

I hate to say it but I used to watch G4 and actually like this guy.

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

I hate to say it but I used to watch G4 and actually like this guy.

Alot of people liked him because he seemed like a really nice person. Some still do.