By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Completionist involved in possible charity scam

I will not be watching his apology video, he will not get a single click from me.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

An incredible response from Karl Jobst here. Very good and thourough video. I dont think theres any doubt left in me at this point.

I think it's worth reading this for everyone https://tedium.co/2023/12/12/the-completionist-open-hand-foundation-nonprofit-context/

regardless of how true the claims end up being jobst majorly overstepped his bounds as a journalist and acted quite unlike a journalist at that. Many legal experts have said he shouldn't have made the claims he did in his second video and should have consulted legal experts. But i have noticed that jobst will eventually start milling the same topic for views but in this case he should have left it as it was.

Trentonater said:
KLXVER said:

An incredible response from Karl Jobst here. Very good and thourough video. I dont think theres any doubt left in me at this point.

I think it's worth reading this for everyone https://tedium.co/2023/12/12/the-completionist-open-hand-foundation-nonprofit-context/

regardless of how true the claims end up being jobst majorly overstepped his bounds as a journalist and acted quite unlike a journalist at that. Many legal experts have said he shouldn't have made the claims he did in his second video and should have consulted legal experts. But i have noticed that jobst will eventually start milling the same topic for views but in this case he should have left it as it was.

That is an interesting read for sure. It would be nice to get actual legal experts to talk about this. Someone who has no connection to either parties.

KLXVER said:
Trentonater said:

That is an interesting read for sure. It would be nice to get actual legal experts to talk about this. Someone who has no connection to either parties.

The most important point for me is that The Completionist repeatedly and over a long period of time send a message to his viewers and (potential) donors what he and the foundation are doing and what they are not doing, which turned out to be false. There are two points in particular.

1. That all of proceedings would go to the foundation and donated to a good cause and nothing would be used to cover expenses for e.g. Indieland. This turned out to be false.

2. That the foundation was working with several organizations throughout the years gives the impression the foundation was supporting them throughout the years. This turned out to be false.

He misled his viewers and (potential) donors. The argument that he might have not been aware what his family members are really doing with the money, is not something I can buy. If he's so engaged with the foundation's cause, obviously he would have vested interest to know what the foundation did over so many years.

Trentonater said:

regardless of how true the claims end up being jobst majorly overstepped his bounds as a journalist and acted quite unlike a journalist at that.

He never claimed to be a journalist.

If the self proclaimed journalist that wrote that article spent 5 seconds using the Google searching that he complained about, he would be able to see that.
Karl Jobst | Wikitubia | Fandom

There's no mention of the word journalist anywhere on that profile page. Or his Twitter profile. Or his Instagram profile, etc.
He's a youtuber.

As for the use of expert voices.
He showed a video of an accountant that said "That part checks out though. The math didn't math. A 4th grader could have done the math on this". regarding the missing golf tournament money (hundreds of thousands) which this article dismissed because it was "4-5 years ago"?
They've held it every year since, and not once has the money been accounted for.

It's very straight forward. They looked at numbers that The Open Hand Foundation themselves publically posted. Added them together, and looked at how much they reported on their taxes.

Jirard's only response to this was to 1.) try to distance himself from the Golf tournament by claiming his involvement was minimal (even though it was his charity), and 2.) adressed one discrepency for one year (and didn't show any proof), and 3.) mentioned how the pandemic affected attendees in 2020. But not sponsors. Which was all that Karl counted anyways.

If you also count all the money we CAN'T see, such as ticket sales, raffles, auctions, etc, then it will amount to more money missing.

Last edited by Hiku - on 18 December 2023

Around the Network

Another possible charity scam

I dont really know who this woman is, but she covers drama and scandals for the most part I think.

This is just going to make people even more worried about donating money to charities. Its sad.

That is bold

If you had invested that money well in the last years, it could have multiplied in value. I would like to see a history of how that money was stored.

numberwang said:

If you had invested that money well in the last years, it could have multiplied in value. I would like to see a history of how that money was stored.

My uninformed guess allegedly would be that it allegedly was invested allegedly in an alleged somebody's alleged home mortgage.  Allegedly.

He is responsible for orderly bookkeeping so that we don't have to guess. Who did the accounting for the "charity".