By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predict The Game Awards GOTY shortlist (6 games)

Mnementh said:

Hmm, let's see how good well the community predicted (actual nominations bolded):

game# predicted
Alan Wake II10
Baldur’s Gate III24
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom24
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Hi-Fi Rush
Sea Of Stars2
Final Fantasy XVI
Starfield7
Hogwarts Legacy3
Street Fighter VI6
Diablo IV2

So, *everyone* got Zelda, BG3 and Spiderman. Mario Wonder follows not too far behind, the least likely titles in the community opinion were RE4 and Alan Wake. The most often named titles that didn't make it were Starfield, FF XVI and Street Fighter (in that order). But even the least often named actually nominated title Alan Wake has more confidence than these. So I would say pretty good predictions.

Anyone wondering about the half-point shenanigans: a few were for one spot saying "this or that", then I gave each half a point.

Alan Wake was the biggest surprise on that list to be honest. Not doubting it’s good because I am looking forward to playing it, but just thought they’d go with a game that had been out longer. Either way, really happy to see Remedy on a GOTY nominee list again. :) Still not expecting a win for GOTY though. 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Hmm, let's see how good well the community predicted (actual nominations bolded):

game # predicted
Alan Wake II 10
Baldur’s Gate III 24
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 24
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Hi-Fi Rush
Sea Of Stars 2
Final Fantasy XVI
Starfield 7
Hogwarts Legacy 3
Street Fighter VI 6
Diablo IV 2

So, *everyone* got Zelda, BG3 and Spiderman. Mario Wonder follows not too far behind, the least likely titles in the community opinion were RE4 and Alan Wake. The most often named titles that didn't make it were Starfield, FF XVI and Street Fighter (in that order). But even the least often named actually nominated title Alan Wake has more confidence than these. So I would say pretty good predictions.

Anyone wondering about the half-point shenanigans: a few were for one spot saying "this or that", then I gave each half a point.

Interesting breakdown.
Everyone got Baldurs, Zelda and Spiderman correct.
But only half got RE4.

I agree with Axum that AW2 was more difficult to predict based on how late it released. (Reviews went up literally the day I made the thread.) 

Here's everyone's score:

@NobleTeam360 6/6
@Shikamo 6/6
@TheLegendaryBigBoss 6/6
@PAOerfulone 6/6
@Hiku 5/6
@kazuyamishima 5/6
@PotentHerbs 5/6
@KLXVER 5/6
@Manlytears 5/6
@Yonyx 5/6
@The_Liquid_Laser 5/6
@UnderwaterFunktown 5/6
@trunkswd 5/6
@axumblade 5/6
@haxxiy 5.5/6.5*
@GameOverture 4/6
@IcaroRibeiro 4/6
@Signalstar 4/6
@Darwinianevolution 4/6
@BasilZero 4/6
@xMetroid 4/6
@Kyuu 3.5/6.5*
@Darashiva 3.5/6.5*
@rapsuperstar31 3/7*

* For those who added extra games with "either/or", getting those correctly give half a point, and bump up the total number of games by half a point.
If we do this again next year I'll remind people to make a separate list if they want to add "either/or" guesses.

Overall, pretty good preditions I think.

Last edited by Hiku - on 19 November 2023

Not bad.

This year has been a overall fantastic year for gaming.

It didn't cross my mind that Baldur's Gate 3 is the Indie representative lol, I would have only gotten one prediction wrong (Starfield over RE4).

A shame that a remake won over many more worthy titles. Octopath Traveler 2 wasn't even nominated for best RPG, cementing it as one of the most underrated games of the year.

Kyuu said:

It didn't cross my mind that Baldur's Gate 3 is the Indie representative lol

Has Game Awards expressed that they include an indie representative, or is that a fan theory?
I don't recall hearing that. And that would seem odd since they have a specific category for indie titles.

Which game would be the indie reprsentative this year for example?
CD Project is one of the wealthiest game publishers in the world. And Fromsoft were funded by Sony to make Bloodborne, so there were no limited resources to speak of there either.

Kyuu said:

A shame that a remake won over many more worthy titles.

Well those are your views on remakes, and that's fine. Just keep in mind that this is not how everyone views it. So expect them to have the same chance of making the shortlists as any other game. And that RE2 Remake and FF7 Remake were not just there in previous years because they were "weak years", as you previosuly stated. This year being as stacked as it was should have disproven that theory for you, leaving no doubt.

A remake can be more of a new gaming experience than otherwise original games that borrow heavily from the older titles they take inspiration from.
And certainly compared to many of the sequels we've gotten that can offer less new experiences.

Part of why new games borrow aspects from older games is because players still want to experience them, but in different ways.

In the Top 50 games lists we make every year, I have the original Resident Evil 2 (PS1) on my list at #29.
I loved the 2019 Remake, and it was my personal GOTY that year.
But it's that much of a different experience that it didn't even make my Top 50, despite being based on a game that's my #29.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 November 2023

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Kyuu said:

It didn't cross my mind that Baldur's Gate 3 is the Indie representative lol

Has Game Awards expressed that they include an indie representative, or is that a fan theory?
I don't recall hearing that. And that would seem odd since they have a specific category for indie titles.

Which game would be the indie reprsentative this year for example?
CD Project is one of the wealthiest game publishers in the world. And Fromsoft were funded by Sony to make Bloodborne, so there were no limited resources to speak of there either.

Kyuu said:

A shame that a remake won over many more worthy titles.

Well those are your views on remakes, and that's fine. Just keep in mind that this is not how everyone views it. So expect them to have the same chance of making the shortlists as any other game. And that RE2 Remake and FF7 Remake were not just there in previous years because they were "weak years", as you previosuly stated. This year being as stacked as it was should have disproven that theory for you, leaving no doubt.

A remake can be more of a new gaming experience than otherwise original games that borrow heavily from the older titles they take inspiration from.
And certainly compared to many of the sequels we've gotten that can offer less new experiences.

Part of why new games borrow aspects from older games is because players still want to experience them, but in different ways.

In the Top 50 games lists we make every year, I have the original Resident Evil 2 (PS1) on my list at #29.
I loved the 2019 Remake, and it was my personal GOTY that year.
But it's that much of a different experience that it didn't even make my Top 50, despite being based on a game that's my #29.

It's just an observation based on previous several GOTY's. CD Project Red before The Witcher 3 wasn't that big. But yes, larger games from independent studios that don't get published by big companies, like the The Witcher 3 or Baldur's Gate 3, register as "AAA" in my mind, which is why it didn't occur to me that BG3 is an "Indie" that would also be nominated in the Indie category. Indie is one of those loose terms. I did mention that the year being so stacked may result in zero indies this time.

As for RE4R, it's of course purely subjective. RE1 Remake remains in my top 15~ games of all time, much better than the original. But I don't agree on nominating remakes in such a stacked year (and I didn't expect it). It's safe to say that a number of publications think likewise, and wouldn't just nominate a remake over a more original contender they think is "slightly worse".

RE4R making it this far means that whatever it has going for it outweighs its inherent flaw as a remake (namely: something that has already been partly experienced). I think being a remake does detract points (like remasters but to a lesser degree), but RE4R was just "that good".

The Game Awards 2023 Players’ Voice Results (to date)

sources:

https://thegameawards.com/api/stats/bracket?uid=0epe94o8aQdqYaLJYNgna3x7gpN2

https://vd42.net/tga23pv/

FFXVI of all games doubled Starfield in the people's vote—big oof for Bethesda. SF6 should have been higher, though.

haxxiy said:

FFXVI of all games doubled Starfield in the people's vote—big oof for Bethesda. SF6 should have been higher, though.

HiFi-Rush did beat FFXVI though, big oof for Square. For Street Fighter: I guess not so many people are into fighting games, that they didn't even try it. I have to agree though, Capcom did pretty good with the new SF6.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
haxxiy said:

HiFi-Rush did beat FFXVI though, big oof for Square. For Street Fighter: I guess not so many people are into fighting games, that they didn't even try it. I have to agree though, Capcom did pretty good with the new SF6.

Hi-Fi Rush is actually great though, unlike FFXVI :D

I'd say it's more because a lot of people don't think of FGs as GOTY contenders, SF6 sold well for its first season. Long-term it should do ~10m.