By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)

pikashoe said:
NintendoPie said:

other super mario debuts to compare:

NSMB Wii - 935k (Media Create)
NSMB DS - 900k (Media Create)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 639k (Famitsu)
Super Mario Odyssey - 511k (Famitsu)
NSMB 2 - 430k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D Land - 343k (Media Create)
Super Mario 3D World Switch - 250k (Famitsu)
NSMBU Deluxe - 186k (Famitsu)
NSMBU - 171k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D World Wii U - 107k (Famitsu)

it's prob less than 1M with digital factoring in the ~30% ratio. kindaaaa unfortunate but the legs on this throughout the holidays will (likely) be great.

I thought digital ratios were over 40% at this point.

it's been debated (i think also with some stats somewhere but idk where) recently that they are lower in japan. closer to 30-35%.

Around the Network

Switch will cross 31M next week. Still remember before lauch how many expected less than that as worldwide sales...

kenjab said:
deerox said:

Why did the PS5 sales go down that much during the week of a big new release?

It seems like the current PS5 models have already been phased out for the upcoming models and have mostly sold out.  Not sure why the phasing out seems to have affected Japan more than other regions this week though.  Maybe because Spider-Man is more popular in the west so they sent more stock out there instead.

It's because the new model also comes with a 10%+ price hike to make up for the low Yen. Of course everybosy tried to get the old models before the console got more expensive.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Switch will cross 31M next week. Still remember before lauch how many expected less than that as worldwide sales...

kenjab said:

It seems like the current PS5 models have already been phased out for the upcoming models and have mostly sold out.  Not sure why the phasing out seems to have affected Japan more than other regions this week though.  Maybe because Spider-Man is more popular in the west so they sent more stock out there instead.

It's because the new model also comes with a 10%+ price hike to make up for the low Yen. Of course everybosy tried to get the old models before the console got more expensive.

I'm really wondering how popular these new more expansive models will be. 

Got no doubt the strong Chinese currency will make so the export numbers will regain strength as ever but the local market might suffer in turn.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

NintendoPie said:
pikashoe said:

it's been debated (i think also with some stats somewhere but idk where) recently that they are lower in japan. closer to 30-35%.

That could be true, but Nintendo's vouchers did result in TOTK's launch numbers being a 50/50 split between physical/digital in Japan.  I don't know to what extent vouchers were used for Wonder though.

lol at Sonic Superstars. Mario is King. Get in line!

Around the Network

Yeah the kind of crazy week 1 numbers posted by the likes of Pokemon and Splatoon have trained our brains to expect similar from Wonder, but when you look at how his games tend to sell in Japan he's likely off to the best start in series history.

This would tally with the recent report that it's the fastest selling Mario game out of the gate in Europe as well.

KLXVER said:

Even on European/International charts, Sonic Superstars seems to have done quite poorly, physically speaking.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
KLXVER said:

Even on European/International charts, Sonic Superstars seems to have done quite poorly, physically speaking.

Looks like gamers are upping their standards. Great stuff.

NintendoPie said:
pikashoe said:

Looking at other numbers, splatoon 3 had 44% digital, pokemon sca/vio 37% digital and totk 50% at launch. So 30% seems on the low side I'd say 40% is probably closer going by more recent releases.

Wow. PS5 and Switch sold waaaay less than I've expected this week.