By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)

As for the PS5, it seems that there's very little stock of the current model in anticipation of the "Slim", hence the low numbers.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
Slownenberg said:

Wow must be some serious shortages of Switch in Japan for low numbers during Mario Wonder week, considering it was selling more on normal weeks just a few weeks ago.

There are no Switch shortages in Japan, is just Mario Wonder didn’t increase sales like a lot of people were expecting.

I mean its not just that it didn't increase sales...Sales dropped! Sales dropped on a huge game release! That makes no sense. Granted not from the prior week but presumably that's because shipments were low after the Mario OLED week. Just four weeks ago (and every week before that) Switch had a baseline a good bit higher than this. So something has got to be going on with shipments, unless Switch just happened to finally hit "the cliff" right when Mario Wonder happened to launch haha.

Other than week 40 and 42 (the two weeks on either end of the Mario OLED boost, so it makes sense those weeks were low) you have to go back all the way to week 17 this year to get Switch HW numbers as low as they were this week on the launch of Nintendo's second biggest game of the year. So this has nothing to do with "didn't increase sales like people were expecting" but rather has to do with wondering why sales actually dropped significantly below baseline for a huge game release.

If it had done like 70k or 80k that woulda just been baseline and no effect from Mario. But it actually dropped from that baseline down to 62k. That's nuts. I doubt people suddenly decided to stop buying the Switch when Mario Wonder came out so something is going on. Maybe kids are all asking for Switch and Wonder for xmas so parents stopped buying Switch's recently until they buy them during the holiday, or stock was low. Can't think of any other reason that makes any sense.

I suppose it could be as simple as maybe people want to buy the Mario OLED system and perhaps that is low on stock so they will just wait for it to come in stock. Switches could be in stock but maybe Mario OLED Switches aren't. Just guessing here of course, since we don't have any credible explanation for HW sales dropping on such a big release week other than stock issues, if in fact there aren't general stock issues.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 26 October 2023

Mario Wonder is the type of game to not sell massive right away but have amazing legs and eventually sell a ton so this is a very strong opening considering that context and not disappointing. Shame the PS5 will have another couple weeks of awful sales but the following few should hopefully be good.

Spiderman, Assassin's Creed, and FC are the only three non-Switch games in the top 30:
https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-10-16-23-10-22-23-top-30/

Once again, just as expected. Both Mario, Spidey and I'll add Sonic. The only oddball was the huge decrease in PS5 sales, is it due to the slim version stuff? My next prediction is that Mario will outsell Totk in Japan by the end of the year. 

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
kazuyamishima said:

There are no Switch shortages in Japan, is just Mario Wonder didn’t increase sales like a lot of people were expecting.

I mean its not just that it didn't increase sales...Sales dropped! Sales dropped on a huge game release! That makes no sense. Granted not from the prior week but presumably that's because shipments were low after the Mario OLED week. Just four weeks ago (and every week before that) Switch had a baseline a good bit higher than this. So something has got to be going on with shipments, unless Switch just happened to finally hit "the cliff" right when Mario Wonder happened to launch haha.

Other than week 40 and 42 (the two weeks on either end of the Mario OLED boost, so it makes sense those weeks were low) you have to go back all the way to week 17 this year to get Switch HW numbers as low as they were this week on the launch of Nintendo's second biggest game of the year. So this has nothing to do with "didn't increase sales like people were expecting" but rather has to do with wondering why sales actually dropped significantly below baseline for a huge game release.

If it had done like 70k or 80k that woulda just been baseline and no effect from Mario. But it actually dropped from that baseline down to 62k. That's nuts. I doubt people suddenly decided to stop buying the Switch when Mario Wonder came out so something is going on. Maybe kids are all asking for Switch and Wonder for xmas so parents stopped buying Switch's recently until they buy them during the holiday, or stock was low. Can't think of any other reason that makes any sense.

I suppose it could be as simple as maybe people want to buy the Mario OLED system and perhaps that is low on stock so they will just wait for it to come in stock. Switches could be in stock but maybe Mario OLED Switches aren't. Just guessing here of course, since we don't have any credible explanation for HW sales dropping on such a big release week other than stock issues, if in fact there aren't general stock issues.

As I said before (checking Amazon, Yodobashi, BIC camera and others), there seems to be plenty of Switch stock in Japan including all models, even the Splatoon 3 and Pokémon OLED’s released last year. 

I can't see how there is more anticipation for the slim then the normal PS5. It's a not really a pro version and costs more then the normal PS5 thats already had a price hike in Japan.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

For comparison here is Sonic Frontiers opening last year:
[NSW] Sonic Frontiers (SEGA, 11/08/22) – 26,067 (New)
[PS5] Sonic Frontiers (SEGA, 11/08/22) – 11,111 (New)
[PS4] Sonic Frontiers (SEGA, 11/08/22) – 9,098 (New)

Sonic Superstars made about a tenth of that and not even having PS5 and PS4 versions make the charts.

Yeah Sonic Superstars is a massive flop here, neither PS version even charting when the cut off point is just 1269 copies is woeful.

Mario is coming for 3 million by end of year in Japan alone