By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)

Look Mario and Sonic both released a game the same week. Mario did better though.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll be honest, I was expect more from Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Still very good numbers but I was expecting at least 1m (no idea if I was delusional in this though).

other super mario debuts to compare:

NSMB Wii - 935k (Media Create)
NSMB DS - 900k (Media Create)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 639k (Famitsu)
Super Mario Odyssey - 511k (Famitsu)
NSMB 2 - 430k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D Land - 343k (Media Create)
Super Mario 3D World Switch - 250k (Famitsu)
NSMBU Deluxe - 186k (Famitsu)
NSMBU - 171k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D World Wii U - 107k (Famitsu)

it's prob less than 1M with digital factoring in the ~30% ratio. kindaaaa unfortunate but the legs on this throughout the holidays will (likely) be great.

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 26 October 2023

Mario sales are a bit disappointing. I hope it has crazy legs though because this is honestly one of the best Mario experiences ever made

NintendoPie said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'll be honest, I was expect more from Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Still very good numbers but I was expecting at least 1m (no idea if I was delusional in this though).

other super mario debuts to compare:

NSMB Wii - 935k (Media Create)
NSMB DS - 900k (Media Create)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 639k (Famitsu)
Super Mario Odyssey - 511k (Famitsu)
NSMB 2 - 430k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D Land - 343k (Media Create)
Super Mario 3D World Switch - 250k (Famitsu)
NSMBU Deluxe - 186k (Famitsu)
NSMBU - 171k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D World Wii U - 107k (Famitsu)

it's prob less than 1M with digital factoring in the ~30% ratio. kindaaaa unfortunate but the legs on this throughout the holidays will (likely) be great.

I thought digital ratios were over 40% at this point.

If Mario’s legs are comparable to NSMB Wii, it should be interesting.

Last edited by abronn627 - on 26 October 2023

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
deerox said:

Why did the PS5 sales go down that much during the week of a big new release?

Few reasons, already a spiderman game on PS5 doesn't mean it will attract a lot of new customers, it isn't that big of a release but biggest reason new version of PS5 is coming

That Spiderman game is also on PS4 and launched during a time where the PS5's userbase was essentially zero (meaning most would have got the PS4 version). This is the first PS5 only Spiderman so should provide a push even if small, I'd assume the harsh drop is entirely stock limitations.

javi741 said:

So when it comes to the Switch, Mario Wonder had the best launch out of any Mario game, beating out Mario Odyssey by 200k+, impressive.

Mario Wonder might also be the fastest selling Mario game in Japan's history. NSMB Wii/DS sold around 900k at launch period compared to Mario Wonder's 638k, but Wonder's sales only include physical so I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder had a bigger launch then NSMB Wii/DS when you include digital sales assuming we keep the 50/50 physical/digital sales ratio.

Its already confirmed to be the fastest selling Mario game ever in Europe, and I could expect the same for NA

I expected a bigger hardware bump tho tbh, maybe there are shortages? Or maybe just plain oversaturation at this point.

I don't see it beating Mario Odyssey as impressive considering Odyssey launched before the Switch was even 1 years old, Odyssey had a limited userbase tos ell to. But none the less Wonder definitely had a very good start for a game that is destined to be evergreen.

lol, people saying Mario Wonder sales are disappointing ... this is one of the biggest Mario 2D releases ever and could very well be the biggest all time with digital included.

Come on, the game was a massive success, check your numbers people.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:

lol, people saying Mario Wonder sales are disappointing ... this is one of the biggest Mario 2D releases ever and could very well be the biggest all time with digital included.

Come on, the game was a massive success, check your numbers people.

That sense of underwhelment prolly comes from the recent performance of big releases like Splatoon 3, Pokémon and Zelda which posted incredible physical numbers.

If you compare to other Mario games on the console. It is by far the best, it simply just doesn't the same lofty expectations a lot of people had. 

Still beating records nonetheless so there isn't anything to be underwhelmed here really. 

+ Holiday legs will factor for a good majority of it's sales anywoo

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Slownenberg said:

Wow must be some serious shortages of Switch in Japan for low numbers during Mario Wonder week, considering it was selling more on normal weeks just a few weeks ago.

There are no Switch shortages in Japan, is just Mario Wonder didn’t increase sales like a lot of people were expecting.