By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2023

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by Bandorr **

Which game will win the most GOTY-awards this year?

Hogwarts Legacy 0 $0.00 0%

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 0 $0.00 0%

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 30 $12,272.74 44.12%

Street Fighter 6 1 $1.00 1.47%

Diablo 4 0 $0.00 0%

Final Fantasy 16 2 $1,500.00 2.94%

Super Mario Bros. Wonder 0 $0.00 0%

Baldur's Gate III 32 $17,888.68 47.06%

Starfield 2 $101.00 2.94%

other 1 $10.00 1.47%

Totals: 68 $31,773.42  
Game closed: 11/20/2023
firebush03 said:
Manlytears said:

Considering the current count ( 376 awards), where BG3 leads with 203, vs Zelda's 74, wouldn't it be time to declare BG3 the winner?
It seems almost impossible for Zelda to surpass BG3. 

https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2023/

Not disputing the fact that BG3 absolutely smothered TotK…but the count is actually 274 BG3 v. 110 TotK. (https://www.resetera.com/threads/2023-video-game-awards-season-tracking-and-discussion-thread.784544/)

The GameFAQ list stopped updating a while back.

Whaaat, they went to all that effort creating a new site to replace the blog site that had stopped being updated... only to stop updating their own site within a matter of weeks? Man, what a waste.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I mean, there's really only 2 candidates if we're being honest. It'll probably be the most even split in recent years between those two though, at least 30 % for both.
But realistically I expect it to be Baldur's Gate, it might be a little more niche than TotK perhaps, but TotK being an iterative sequel to a game that already took home a zillion GOTY awards will work against it.

Also RE4 will definitely take home more awards than some of those on the poll, remake or not. Could end up 3rd or 4th in the ranking.

Looks like I was on point with RE4 (it's currently 4th in the tally) and about BG3 winning, but it definitely wasn't as close as I expected. I hadn't exactly expected BG3 to dominate Reader's Choice awards like it has since it seemed like a game less people had played but in the end it ended up being one of the best sellers of the year so that was definitely a miscalculation.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I mean, there's really only 2 candidates if we're being honest. It'll probably be the most even split in recent years between those two though, at least 30 % for both.
But realistically I expect it to be Baldur's Gate, it might be a little more niche than TotK perhaps, but TotK being an iterative sequel to a game that already took home a zillion GOTY awards will work against it.

Also RE4 will definitely take home more awards than some of those on the poll, remake or not. Could end up 3rd or 4th in the ranking.

Looks like I was on point with RE4 (it's currently 4th in the tally) and about BG3 winning, but it definitely wasn't as close as I expected. I hadn't exactly expected BG3 to dominate Reader's Choice awards like it has since it seemed like a game less people had played but in the end it ended up being one of the best sellers of the year so that was definitely a miscalculation.

Well, looking at the past years, it seems like this is kinda a usual distribution. In most years the winner is around 50% of the GOTYs and other titles fall far behind. Closest to what you suggest is 2013 with 47% of GOTYs for The Last of Us and 30% for GTA V. So even in a year like this one, with many good games usually a clear candidate evolves.

And yeah, I fully expected games like Spiderman and Hogwarts Legacy to be ahead of Resident Evil. I didn't put it in the nine choices, because I actually had more than 10 candidates considered, Resident Evil one of them, but thought others might be more likely. A total dark horse for me was Alan Wake though, I didn't consider it at all. I am very surprised by this.

And about BG3 - I hoped it would win, but as you say it is kinda a niche genre and if you ask people last year if a turn-based party-focused CRPG can win, most would have said no. I fully expected for instance the Geoff Keileygh show to give it to either Zelda or Spiderman, as this usually is very tilted towards action adventures.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

And about BG3 - I hoped it would win, but as you say it is kinda a niche genre and if you ask people last year if a turn-based party-focused CRPG can win, most would have said no. I fully expected for instance the Geoff Keileygh show to give it to either Zelda or Spiderman, as this usually is very tilted towards action adventures.

CRPGs were always, and still are, a niche genre - and from my POV, BG3 was not made for CRPG (and BG) fans first, but was more targeting the mass market that is after systemic gameplay mechanics, AAA production values and "romancing the companions" silliness, so I'd say most sales come from that direction. Being D&D, with Hasbro behind it, helped quite a bit. Larian being 30% owned by Tencent helped with production values. BG3 actually being quite good megadungeon-crawler (but not so good of an CRPG) helped as well. The media hype storm probably helped the most.

I'd say by the way mainstream gaming "journalist" were gobbling up all of that made it more than obvious that it will be the clear winner.

bg3's overwhelming victory is also explained by the fact that the breath of wild formula caused burnout in many people, especially those who played the 2 games in a short space of time, I see in the zelda communities many fans begging for the return of the classic formula