By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

You can play on your iPad at home too. Or Macbook. Those devices just have the added utility, unlike a Playstation 5 for example, that you can pick it up and take it with you if you're going to say a trip or plane ride or long bus ride or road trip.

"People who only ever stay inside their home" is a pretty niche audience, even Count Dracula leaves his castle. 

Switch is gonna end up around 150 mill, maybe even 160 mill, that's almost as much as the PS + XBox combined, to me that shows people like to be able to take their console games everywhere and not be dictated by form factor. 

If you theory was true why is steam deck selling like shit lol? it basically has all the AAA games since day 1.

Well for one Steam Deck was sold out for like half a year, couldn't order one without being put on back order. Valve is not a big hardware manufacturer they made what was probably supposed to be a niche device in limited quantities with no TV marketing campaign, no retail version, and it's from everything I can tell outperformed their expectations. So much  so that Lenovo and ASUS are jumping in to make their own knock offs, no? If you're being copied that seems to tell me you have a popular product. 

An iPad already sells more than like the Switch + PS5 on a yearly basis, and iPhone lets not even compare because it's not even fair. 

If those devices can start playing AAA 3rd party games and that becomes normalized (and yes that's an if for sure), I mean sure it's hard to say that's just nothing. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

you don't seem to understand many people don't give a crap about mobile gaming, and they just want a home console, and with x series/ ps5 you get a vastly better deal for people looking for that.

Well I'm not really going to touch that first statement, because it's not even factually true. 

But the point is, this is not about mobile games. This is about AAA console/PC games that the Apple devices can now run because their chip processors have gotten so good and Apple has been getting more interested in gaming over the last few years (the rumblings are the Apple Arcade service is making more money than they thought). 

The PS5/X Series are not portable, and that is a big deal, as we can see the Switch outsold the PS4. Comfortably. Can Apple make a really, really impressive hybrid with their iPad? Yes they could for sure. And you also have the ability then to make an iPhone version too and let the player enjoy their game on a more premium device but also have the luxury of having that game in their pocket to play when ever they feel like too. I don't know if any gaming ecosystem can really claim anything like that. That whole "your game is always with you" concept can actually be a feasible reality there, as even with a Switch, who really carries that around everywhere they go. 

If a ROG Ally is like $700, but an iPad can run AAA games at better resolution/performance than that AND is a top of the line iPad too with a larger display and all the added utility that brings to normal people, suddenly a lot of those Steam Deck type devices have some serious competition. More people buy an iPad than any game console yearly and it's not even particularly close as is. 

If the gaming functionality on it starts to get really good ... that's just another big value add to the package. The other cool thing is you can choose whatever controller you want. Lots of PS owners prefer the XBox controller and vice versa, in this set up you can use either/or and anything else you want. 

I'm not saying this 100% going to be a hit, but there is definitely potential there. A lot of these 3rd parties are whoring themselves out on iOS anyway, like Square-Enix has like what? 8000 Final Fantasy games on iOS? lol. As the processing power gets up there it almost becomes a question why wouldn't they want to port their actual console/PC catalog too. 

You're thoroughly missing the point. The consumer base at large has shown time and again to prefer dedicated mobile experiences over AAA experiences on their phones for various reasons already outlined ITT (controls, screen size, pricing, etc.). That's not going to change just because Apple is waving their specs dick around.

Jules98 said:
Soundwave said:

Well I'm not really going to touch that first statement, because it's not even factually true. 

But the point is, this is not about mobile games. This is about AAA console/PC games that the Apple devices can now run because their chip processors have gotten so good and Apple has been getting more interested in gaming over the last few years (the rumblings are the Apple Arcade service is making more money than they thought). 

The PS5/X Series are not portable, and that is a big deal, as we can see the Switch outsold the PS4. Comfortably. Can Apple make a really, really impressive hybrid with their iPad? Yes they could for sure. And you also have the ability then to make an iPhone version too and let the player enjoy their game on a more premium device but also have the luxury of having that game in their pocket to play when ever they feel like too. I don't know if any gaming ecosystem can really claim anything like that. That whole "your game is always with you" concept can actually be a feasible reality there, as even with a Switch, who really carries that around everywhere they go. 

If a ROG Ally is like $700, but an iPad can run AAA games at better resolution/performance than that AND is a top of the line iPad too with a larger display and all the added utility that brings to normal people, suddenly a lot of those Steam Deck type devices have some serious competition. More people buy an iPad than any game console yearly and it's not even particularly close as is. 

If the gaming functionality on it starts to get really good ... that's just another big value add to the package. The other cool thing is you can choose whatever controller you want. Lots of PS owners prefer the XBox controller and vice versa, in this set up you can use either/or and anything else you want. 

I'm not saying this 100% going to be a hit, but there is definitely potential there. A lot of these 3rd parties are whoring themselves out on iOS anyway, like Square-Enix has like what? 8000 Final Fantasy games on iOS? lol. As the processing power gets up there it almost becomes a question why wouldn't they want to port their actual console/PC catalog too. 

You're thoroughly missing the point. The consumer base at large has shown time and again to prefer dedicated mobile experiences over AAA experiences on their phones for various reasons already outlined ITT (controls, screen size, pricing, etc.). That's not going to change just because Apple is waving their specs dick around.

Because there haven't been any real AAA console style games for the most part that weren't dated. I think iPhone is not really the main play here either (for now). iPhone having PS4 tier capability is definitely impressive, but iPad is where it's gonna be at because iPad's can have the M-series chips, and those chips will be able to play PS5/XSX tier games as soon as maybe even now, but next year with the M3 chip, definitely. We're talking like future Resident Evils, Monster Hunter, GTA6 even, NBA 2K console version, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth can run on this chip type of thing. 

On a large screen display. That's easy and lightweight to put in your bag. With any controller you want. 

If that's where we're headed, then comparing that to like what the iPhone was in 2014, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's like saying the Wii U already proved the Switch concept a failure, well the details matter a heckuva lot in the reality of that. Just like actual portability and a design that didn't look like a Fisher Price kids tablet made a huge difference for the Switch, having mobile chips that run actual next gen games (and many of them, not just like 1 port that looks terrible) and a porting tool that streamlines the port process make significant differences. 

The iPhone aspect of it I think is going to be more of a "neat" extra, like you buy the game primarily to play on your M-series Apple device at high fidelity (like an iPad or Macbook or Mac mini or maybe even an AppleTV type console), and the iPhone version you have for free and is always in your pocket. That's a very cool ecosystem feature they can boast because people take their phones everywhere with them. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 September 2023

My mom owns an iPhone and iPad. Can't wait to see her turn into a hardcore gamer.

Either way hardware announcements are always overhyped.  I remember when the ps3 cell was a super computer that was going to change the world.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Gaming actually is really the only thing that makes sense for Apple.

They took control of their chip design much moreso about 7 years ago and committed hard to making the most powerful mobile processors possible because they were in a heated race with Android/Snapdragon, and largely ... they won. Fancy new chips drive hardware sales, even with the Macbook, the introduction of the M1 chip caused Macbook sales to skyrocket:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/19/mac-sales-skyrocketing-after-m1-launch/

So they can't stop that train and won't stop it, it keeps people wanting to continually upgrade their products which is key to Apple's entire business. There's only so much you can do with the design of a phone where the face of the device is entirely a screen.

But on the other hand these processors are so powerful, they are ridiculously overpowered for the average use case scenarios. No one really needs an A17 Bionic chip that can run PS4 games for a freaking phone. Apple's A-processors from like 2-3 generations ago can do everything you need to do on a smartphone (web browsing, emails, social media, playing Candy Crush) without breaking a sweat even with a high resolution display.

The M-series chips are ridiculously overpowered for an iPad even moreso. Even for "Pro" Macbook users, the M1/M2 chips can edit 4K video just fine and dandy, but M3 is going to be a large improvement it looks like ... who are they even making these laptops for? The 30,000 people on the planet who need to edit multiple 8K video streams on a laptop for some reason? How many video editors who need to cut RED raw or 8K footage are even out there? lol. It's a niche of a niche market.

The only real mass market application for processors that are that powerful and will continue to get more and more powerful every year is well ... high end AAA gaming.

I think Apple realized this, this is why all of the sudden Hideo Kojima and Capcom and Ubisoft execs are showing up in Apple events and they're doing things like the Game Porting Toolkit for developers. Gaming performance is the only realistic use case for having like a 4.5 TFLOP tablet or 2 TFLOP phone but Apple needs to keep the sales hook of "this year's version is 20% faster than last year!" to maintain their sales volume.

Around the Network

I'll never take mobile gaming seriously. Imagine trying to game on the glass slabs lol.

KratosLives said:

I'll never take mobile gaming seriously. Imagine trying to game on the glass slabs lol.

nobody does except soundwave he dreams of a no home console future lol.

KratosLives said:

Now put an OLED display on there and an M3 chip both which are slated to come next year ... I mean you don't have to imagine very hard. 

If developers make games that could be one hell of a gaming rig that can travel. On an airplane or bus? Sure. 

Like I said, the chips going into these iPads (even iPhones) are way, way too powerful for just smart OS tasks like web browsing and video chatting. AAA gaming, not little mobile gaming, is the only thing that can push the processors Apple is making (well that and like 4K per eye VR) which isn't a niche. 

If developers start porting all their newer games, I'd honestly prefer this setup to a Steam Deck type of thing. Bigger display, with OLED it's going to be a stunning experience. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 September 2023

KratosLives said:

Agreed for me.  I personally rarely game on the go.  My Switch is docked 99% of the time.  And when I do game portable mode it isn't Tears or Bayo 3, but rather Captain Toad.   Most games don't work on a tiny screen with small controls.  

I'll be sticking with my 55 OLED Dolby atmos setup.  But too each their.  Options exist in the market place so people can pick their poison.  None of the big AAA are in trouble over this announcement.  I always laugh when people immediately assume too much from an announcement.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
KratosLives said:

Agreed for me.  I personally rarely game on the go.  My Switch is docked 99% of the time.  And when I do game portable mode it isn't Tears or Bayo 3, but rather Captain Toad.   Most games don't work on a tiny screen with small controls.  

I'll be sticking with my 55 OLED Dolby atmos setup.  But too each their.  Options exist in the market place so people can pick their poison.  None of the big AAA are in trouble over this announcement.  I always laugh when people immediately assume too much from an announcement.

Honest question: what is the point then of shit posting in threads where you claim to have zero interest but keep coming back over and over again because someone else might be interested in something you're not? Gate keeping galore. You're really that insecure that you can't handle other people being excited in something that maybe you're not and you feel you have to "police" all these threads, huh. 

Seriously, no wonder this board has stagnated and not grown for shit in 10 years.