By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What a great time to be a gamer, don't you think?

Yeah I agree

Everytime I see many takes about people complaining about how bad is the industry makes me think gamers went from sweet kids who enjoy everything with their hearts open to grumpy boomers who just like to complain about everything

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
mZuzek said:

Which is mostly a bad thing.

Well, if I'm trully enjoying a game, I want it to last as long as possible.

That depends on the game, but generally, I disagree. If I think of my favorite games... Guardians of the Galaxy, no I don't wish it was longer. The length was perfect, long enough to feel like a really thorough and complete experience, without any bloat or repetitive content. Okami, I think they could've cut down on some of the padding near the middle of the game. It's a beautiful game but a bit too long and has weaker parts that didn't need to be there. Ori and the Will of the Wisps, that's one where I wish there was a bit more content, though I think the main quest is paced perfectly, it'd be more optional content ideally. And then something like Persona 5, which is roughly the length of those three combined, I thought was perfectly paced as well - except for Royal, that went on for too long.

There is such a thing as a great game going on for too long. If all you're doing is repetitive tasks, or if you can tell that the game's narrative is losing focus, or that they're running out of ideas in general... And even if nothing like that happened, that doesn't mean the game should just keep going. There's a right length for everything. The greatest songs in the world don't last for hours. The greatest movies in the world don't last for days. There always comes a point where you feel like you've gotten the whole experience out of a game, if you get that feeling 30 hours in, then a game lasting for another 300 hours after that isn't very meaningful. But again, that depends on each game.

It is a good time to be a gamer, but could be even better. Great franchises from the 90s like Earthworm Jim, Banjo-Kazooie and Star Fox that need to be revitalized so that we have more great games and a new audience for them.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Yeah I agree

Everytime I see many takes about people complaining about how bad is the industry makes me think gamers went from sweet kids who enjoy everything with their hearts open to grumpy boomers who just like to complain about everything

I’m not sure they were ever sweet kids.

mZuzek said:
zeldaring said:

and games have way more content.

Which is mostly a bad thing.

Bonus skip if the game is made by Ubisoft, aka king of time wasters !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Yeah I agree

That’s how I feel about modern fandom in general. Especially TV fandom! :D

It really did go from fans loving mostly everything. In the past Gina Torres played a black Cleopatra on Hercules and Xena, and Xena had a black Helen of Troy. No one cared. Nowadays it’s an international incident!

It’s a social media herd mentality thing mixed with a snowball effect of sorts. Somehow people find delight in patting each other on the back for pretentious snobbery and gatekeeping. The more dramatic the expression of victimhood, the stronger the bat packs…. back pats (honest typo, I figured I’d leave it in because it made me giggle). These militant “true fans” spend their day sharing what they think is inside information to fuel the vitriol on the TV shows they claim to hate, but can’t stop discussing.

It used to be that gaming forums were the bottom of the pit; the cesspools for negative opinions, merely because there was so much animosity toward success among the users. I’m not sure if we’ve got any better (it seems like older communities have), just that we haven’t got that much worse over the years. But now I think social media platforms have got us beaten in their circle jerks of nasty opinions about 10 times over.

And yeah, we’ve (as gaming communities) have stopped to some low shitty levels of gatekeeping and snobbery, but I think it’s a lot better than it was even just 5-10 years ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Eh. I actually find myself drifting further and further away.

I don't get excited anymore about anything really, or am impressed by anything anymore. It has all blended together. Even the thing I should be interested in, the new Zelda game, I've only been playing like once every two months.

There are things that are better about modern gaming than in the past and things that are worse. It all depends on what you value. I would say innovation, creativity and diversity (different types of games) have all taken a serious hit. But the tech, obviously, is much better. The consoles are much more sophisticated. And if you're into being connected with other people, there's never been a better time to play games, because there's ways of staying connected with other people 24/7.

There are negatives to being a gamer right now.
-Lootboxes
-Games that are launched buggy or broken and hopefully fixed later
-Nintendo continuing to overcharge for their software. We're 6 and a half years into Switch and there are no Nintendo Selects.
-Paid online for the Big 3, with PS Plus now going up in price by 33%.
But there are a lot of positives...
-Nintendo hardware and software (first and third party) is better than it was during the 3DS/Wii U days, and possibly at its peak.
-Games as a whole are getting cheaper when you take inflation from the prices in the past into account and sales are so common. Even digital storefronts have a ton of sales.
-Indies have a lot of sway. Yes, there are tons of garbage and meh indies, but there is quality as well that simply wouldn't have been possible more than 10-15 years ago.
-Exclusivity is dying out, even if it's a mostly slow death. Even if you can't play Xbox or PlayStation games on the other platform sometimes, PC is an option a lot of the time.
-Games are becoming more accessible with special controllers and settings in games for difficulty, audio, visuals, etc.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I feel lost and confused about modern gaming. Where is Deus Ex? Max Payne? What happened to fun semi-sim racing games like Dirt 1-2-3? I can go on and on. Starfield is Fallout in space? I liked New Vegas, but for some reason I have zero interest in Starfield. Most triple A games seem to be semi open world collectotron games now, I feel like I am done with them.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.