By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony raising PS Plus price by 33%

Pemalite said:
V-r0cK said:

1) You're telling me that at this moment, or a new gamer, that if I installs Epic Game store that i'll have access to a lot of free and AAA games right now and more than if i were to access PS Plus Extra/Premium or Game Pass?

You would need to build that library.
But if you look here, you will see a few thousand free titles with titles like DOTA, Counter Strike, Team Fortress etc'.
https://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/

GOG has a list of free games that can be accessed here, some of which I enjoyed back in the day like Dink Smallwood and Postal:
https://www.gog.com/en/partner/free_games

uPlay has it's free games here:
https://store.ubisoft.com/us/free-pc-games?lang=en_US

And Epic Store has it's free games here, which includes new free games every week plus a chunk of FTP titles:
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/free-games

Microsoft has it's free titles here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/top-free/games/pc

I would suggest you pay attention to the PC main thread for the latest and greatest free game giver-aways as the PC market is a big place.
Or keep an eye on: https://gg.deals
Which will let you know of what is being discounted, what is free and more.

And obviously we can't forget:
Humble Bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com

Fanatical Bundle:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/

V-r0cK said:

2) ...that you have to buy

Never asserted anything to the contrary. - It was a counter argument that the "PC Gets no good games only consoles do" when it literally gets all the Playstation/Xbox console games.

Are you new at this?

V-r0cK said:

3) I claim as many free games on Steam, Epic etc.. and honestly only a small handful are amazing and thats from years of waiting

So... Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is shit to you which was last weeks give-away?

V-r0cK said:

4) Sure, wait for humble bundles and pay more. And some humble bundles 

Bundles are actually cheap, you also give back to charity.

V-r0cK said:

You have $1100 as your budget. You're a new gamer starting right now so any free games that is not longer free on Steam/Epic is too bad and missed.

So the question is ....What is the best value to last you 5 years of gaming without going over $1100?

(this is between PS5 and PC...I think getting a Xbox Series S and GP would be the cheapest for sure)

I am in Australia, so my pricing isn't going to be representative of your pricing, thus it's pointless for me to go down that path.

But you do not need the latest PC to play the latest games, one of my PC's from 12 years ago can still play the latest titles like Hogwarts or Starfield just fine, better than a Series S.

However I am not starting from scratch, so my game library comes with me through the generations without issue and everytime I bring my games forwards to a new PC, the games look and run better.

My first post back here since dickgate last year and I'm defending someone against a mod, and everyone else that misread V-r0cK's post lol...

He's not saying that PC doesn't have great games, that seemed pretty obvious the first time I read it. He's saying that for the same price of $1100 you wouldn't be able to buy many great games alongside your fancy built up PC... by great games I'm gonna' make the safe assumption he's talking about high priced AAA games or games we actually consider great and not just some shovelware shit or something. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:

They are probably doing this expecting to lose fewer than 20% of their subscribers, as that's around the figure that would still make them more money than if they kept the current pricings.

In other words, if more than 20% unsubscribe or don't renew as a result of this, that may cause them to reverse course.

If you are on a subscription that's about to expire, it could be a good idea to not renew at least for a while and see how they react.
I'm unfortunately on a year long sub that won't expire any time soon, so I can't really join in on the 'protest'.

And yeah, if this sticks, Nintendo and Microsoft will likely be considering something like this as well.

It's still cheaper than MS' prices though, but yeah Nintendo might follow suit.
(MS doesn't have discounts for yearly subscriptions and Sony is now reducing the yearly discount)

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-plus-12-month-subscriptions-getting-global-price-increase-from-september

Sony is raising the yearly price from 50 to 60 pounds. The same on XBox costs you 84 pounds a year (Gamepass Core 6.99 a month, same as PS+ essential but no yearly recurring option on XBox). It was kind of inevitable for Sony to raise the 50 pound yearly PS essential price :/ At least they should still have the discount around BF, which is when I usually top up on ps+ (even though it's just my kids using it now)

Oh well, the general public has chosen they're fine paying to use their own internet. Sure some people will let it lapse but I doubt it will be more than 20% of the long term subscribers. It sucks, too many gamers can't survive without party chat :/ Meanwhile split-screen is pretty much being phased out by MS and Sony doesn't give a shit that it's still broken in GT7 and PC has shit tied down so you need multiple copies to play together over LAN. (At least on console you can play together with 1 copy) Want to play together, pay extra! :(

I'm just glad I dont play MP and I can buy the PS Classics separately.

They should add a tier thats just online play for like 20 bucks a year.

Fucking inflation. -_-

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Chrkeller said:

Yep.  PC gaming is looking better and better.

$500 for a ps5

$200 to upgrade internal storage 

$80 a year to play online over 5 years $400

Total: $1100 (solid PC for that price)

I understand what you're saying but in that case I would just go this route...

$400 for PS5 digital
$0 for upgrade internal storage (why need to?)
$135 or 160 x 5yrs for PS Plus Extra or Premium = $675 or $800

Total:$1075 or $1200 

Either way, this option at least comes with access to hundreds of games and I will still choose this over PC.

Sure you can get a solid PC around that price but not a lot of great games. Whatever the cost of your PC is, include an additional $600 on top to get PC Game Pass for 5yrs.

WTF is this? i hope while i read this thread someone else has already picked you up on this but.

PC gets all 3rd party games, we get all MS exclusives day 1 and Sony exclusives are now coming like no tomorrow so wtf are you on about no great games?.

I seen your other reply but to that. PC has Gamepass, EA+ or whatever their sub is called, UBI sub whatever its called, really on PC you have so many options, stores, subs its not even funny.

Last edited by zero129 - on 03 September 2023

zero129 said:
V-r0cK said:

I understand what you're saying but in that case I would just go this route...

$400 for PS5 digital
$0 for upgrade internal storage (why need to?)
$135 or 160 x 5yrs for PS Plus Extra or Premium = $675 or $800

Total:$1075 or $1200 

Either way, this option at least comes with access to hundreds of games and I will still choose this over PC.

Sure you can get a solid PC around that price but not a lot of great games. Whatever the cost of your PC is, include an additional $600 on top to get PC Game Pass for 5yrs.

WTF is this? i hope while i read this thread someone else has already picked you up on this but.

PC gets all 3rd party games, we get all MS exclusives day 1 and Sony exclusives are now coming like no tomorrow so wtf are you on about no great games?.

He means you still need to pay for games on both systems. Adding PS+ Extra to the cost of consoles -> add the cost of Gamepass to PC for comparison.

I just bought my kid a gaming PC for his birthday. It was discounted, doubt I could put that together myself for the same price. i7 2.1ghz, 3060 12GB, 16GB ram, 500 + 1Tb space, nothing special and while it is faster than the PS5 from what I can see, it was also about 1.5x the price. I guess I should be comparing with the ps5 digital since no more disc drives in desktops nowadays. However you need them for cheap PS4/PS5 games (second-hand) while on PC that's not an option. PC of course has much better sales and many more free games.

He's happy, I gave him my Steam account to play with so he's set for games. (I wish, day 2 "Can I have Lego 2K Drive, it's really fun I watched on you tube" That predatory nonsense can stay away)

I'm a PS fan. But that doesn't stop me from being mad at this. Making people pay more with NO added value attached is nonsense

At this point isn't gamepass cheaper?

SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

He means you still need to pay for games on both systems. Adding PS+ Extra to the cost of consoles -> add the cost of Gamepass to PC for comparison.

I just bought my kid a gaming PC for his birthday. It was discounted, doubt I could put that together myself for the same price. i7 2.1ghz, 3060 12GB, 16GB ram, 500 + 1Tb space, nothing special and while it is faster than the PS5 from what I can see, it was also about 1.5x the price. I guess I should be comparing with the ps5 digital since no more disc drives in desktops nowadays. However you need them for cheap PS4/PS5 games (second-hand) while on PC that's not an option. PC of course has much better sales and many more free games.

He's happy, I gave him my Steam account to play with so he's set for games. (I wish, day 2 "Can I have Lego 2K Drive, it's really fun I watched on you tube" That predatory nonsense can stay away)

1.5x the cost but online is free and the GPU can be upgraded without buying the inevitable Pro.  Over the long haul I think PC is now cheaper.   

I'm very new to PC gaming but I would expect it to be better performing as well.

Don't get me wrong the ps5 has some impressive power but in a year or two GPU will be cheaper and upgrading will be easy on the PC side.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 04 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED