By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony raising PS Plus price by 33%

Pemalite said:

Uh... What?

1) PC gets free games all the time. - Epic Games Store has given away 361 different games so far. FREE. 0 subscription.

2) Majority of Sony and Microsoft exclusives release on PC. - So the "not a lot of great games" argument is absolutely bizarre.

3) PC doesnt need gamepass. - Just get the free games from Steam, Epic, GOG, uPlay and more.

4) PC has humble bundle, fanatical bundle and more where you can get a dozen games for $10 bucks.

1) You're telling me that at this moment, or a new gamer, that if I installs Epic Game store that i'll have access to a lot of free and AAA games right now and more than if i were to access PS Plus Extra/Premium or Game Pass?

2) ...that you have to buy

3) I claim as many free games on Steam, Epic etc.. and honestly only a small handful are amazing and thats from years of waiting

4) Sure, wait for humble bundles and pay more. And some humble bundles 

----

There's a lot of response from my response from Chrkeller's initial post so to make it simpler....

You have $1100 as your budget. You're a new gamer starting right now so any free games that is not longer free on Steam/Epic is too bad and missed.

So the question is ....What is the best value to last you 5 years of gaming without going over $1100?

(this is between PS5 and PC...I think getting a Xbox Series S and GP would be the cheapest for sure)

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

bolded1: because the storage is full with just a handful of games. If you like to switch games often or simply have a slow connection (making constantly re-downloading games unpracticable), you pretty much need more storage space.

boldeed2: More than you can get on PS5 and XS combined. Much more! After all, most console games (including console exclusives like spider-man) are also releasing on PC, plus it's own exclusive titles that don't release on consoles. 

bolded3: Why need game pass when you have steam sales?

All your solution requires more spending when I was comparing the price of just a solid PC rig and no games vs a console with games, because that was the initial subject of my discussion.

Mr.Playstation said:

Sony's out of touch. Playing for online multiplayer was already one of the biggest scams in gaming. Raising it 30% with no improvement to the service is even worse somehow.

Well, there's nothing more 'in touch' for corporations than raising profits.

I'm looking forward to all the surprised Pikachus on Gamepass 5-10 years from now.

V-r0cK said:
Pemalite said:

Uh... What?

1) PC gets free games all the time. - Epic Games Store has given away 361 different games so far. FREE. 0 subscription.

2) Majority of Sony and Microsoft exclusives release on PC. - So the "not a lot of great games" argument is absolutely bizarre.

3) PC doesnt need gamepass. - Just get the free games from Steam, Epic, GOG, uPlay and more.

4) PC has humble bundle, fanatical bundle and more where you can get a dozen games for $10 bucks.

1) You're telling me that at this moment, or a new gamer, that if I installs Epic Game store that i'll have access to a lot of free and AAA games right now and more than if i were to access PS Plus Extra/Premium or Game Pass?

2) ...that you have to buy

3) I claim as many free games on Steam, Epic etc.. and honestly only a small handful are amazing and thats from years of waiting

4) Sure, wait for humble bundles and pay more. And some humble bundles 

----

There's a lot of response from my response from Chrkeller's initial post so to make it simpler....

You have $1100 as your budget. You're a new gamer starting right now so any free games that is not longer free on Steam/Epic is too bad and missed.

So the question is ....What is the best value to last you 5 years of gaming without going over $1100?

(this is between PS5 and PC...I think getting a Xbox Series S and GP would be the cheapest for sure)

For me it is close.  Which is my point.  PC isn't that expensive when you compare the price of a ps5+hdd upgrade+paying for online.

The free games from PSN aren't exactly amazing.  It isn't like I get BG3 and RE4 Remake.

Chrkeller said:

True.  I see your point.  However PC is BC with my current library and the hardware can be upgraded.  And PC has much better performance.  And it has a better selection of games.  And has better sales.  

There are pros nd cons for sure.  Either way I canceled the auto renew of my PSN.  $80 is absurd for online play.  Any games that have online components will be a PC buy, not ps5 

Edit

Also Retoarch is amazing....  talk about a selection of games.

Agreed PC is the best backwards compatible system there is but people are buying new consoles to play new games.  Backwards compatibility isn't a huge factor or else so many would complain about Nintendo.

PC has better performance, no doubt. However, personally it feels good to know when I play a game on a console I know it'll play to the best of its ability while some games on PC I'm not always sure it can run it smoothly but i suppose a $1100 rig that it should run all future games in the next 5yrs to run on max setting??

Better selection of games? That's questionable and preferences. If you can help me in this department, can you list me a number of PC exclusive games that better and aren't on Xbox or PS?

I do like you don't need to pay to play online with PC. I hated when Sony started implementing pay to play online because MS did first and it's been working.

Retoarch...so now you're adding emulation into the mix because these "better" PC exclusive games aren't enough?

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I agree on the storage space.  Games are 80 to 100+ gb...  the ps5 had is too small.

It's always nice to have more storage, especially since games are getting larger.  But I've never had issues with storage space as I only play a few games at a time and then delete.  My PS4 only has 500gb and it still has plenty of space.  My PC has 6TB of storage and the games I've installed total are less than 1TB. I don't have micro SD card for my Switch and there's enough space still.  I have an 8gb white Wii U and still have space lol

..and if we were on that $1100 budget, I'd gladly delete and reinstall games if I need to. 

I honestly don't find it a big deal. But depends on the individual buyer of cost vs convenience.

V-r0cK said:

Better selection of games? That's questionable and preferences. If you can help me in this department, can you list me a number of PC exclusive games that better and aren't on Xbox or PS?

I been playing Thief 1&2 fan missions and the original Carmageddon, both with my ekbok controller through Xpadder.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

V-r0cK said:
Chrkeller said:

True.  I see your point.  However PC is BC with my current library and the hardware can be upgraded.  And PC has much better performance.  And it has a better selection of games.  And has better sales.  

There are pros nd cons for sure.  Either way I canceled the auto renew of my PSN.  $80 is absurd for online play.  Any games that have online components will be a PC buy, not ps5 

Edit

Also Retoarch is amazing....  talk about a selection of games.

Agreed PC is the best backwards compatible system there is but people are buying new consoles to play new games.  Backwards compatibility isn't a huge factor or else so many would complain about Nintendo.

PC has better performance, no doubt. However, personally it feels good to know when I play a game on a console I know it'll play to the best of its ability while some games on PC I'm not always sure it can run it smoothly but i suppose a $1100 rig that it should run all future games in the next 5yrs to run on max setting??

I do like you don't need to pay to play online with PC. I hated when Sony started implementing pay to play online because MS did first and it's been working.

Retoarch...so now you're adding emulation into the mix because these "better" PC exclusive games aren't enough?

PC doesn't have much in exclusives, but if Sony keeps porting and so does MS...  PC has Sony, MS and third party.  So my point was PC isn't hurting in terms of game selection.  

Retroarch is cool.  I just enjoy playing old classics from time to time.  Why pay for NSO when I can use retroarch?  Just personal preference I suppose.  

PC gaming has come a long way 

Jim Ryan out!

Chrkeller said:

PC doesn't have much in exclusives, but if Sony keeps porting and so does MS...  PC has Sony, MS and third party.  So my point was PC isn't hurting in terms of game selection.  

Retroarch is cool.  I just enjoy playing old classics from time to time.  Why pay for NSO when I can use retroarch?  Just personal preference I suppose.  

PC gaming has come a long way 

But you get more value if were a PS Plus Extra member and say get the Spider-man game along with access to hundreds of others rather than buying the Spider-man game on PC.  Without a doubt PC isnt hurting in terms of game selection but to say they have better is definitely a preference opinion, which i wholesomely respect.

Oh without a doubt emulation is one of the best gaming features PC has that trumps any console, but I was speaking in legal terms or else PC gets another win as you can illegally download a ton of games.

I'm with you there that PC gaming has come a long way and I've been doing my trio (PS/Nintendo/PC) gaming for a long time.  I just felt that with a $1100 budget to last the next 5yrs that a PS5 with subscription would give me the most gaming for my buck :)